FedEx cry babies

Purplepackage

I'm back! And also, I work a pretty urbanized area, so I see the UPS, Express, and FX Ground guy all the time. Paid per stop is the most efficient way for a contractor to pay an employee. If volume is low, the contractor doesn't lose anything. Both employee and route owners income are dependent upon volume. Paid per stop guarantees the contractor will always be able to afford pay roll. I'm a different scenario VS a Midwest route with low volume. I have benefits from a second party, so I don't need them from my employer. Even if I worked somewhere with a benefits package, I'd opt out of it because my healthcare is top notch and hardly costs me anything.

I steadily clear gross over $1100 a week. I work my ass off for it, but it sure beats MvDonalds. Ground/HD isn't for lazy people, if you want to earn big you have to work hard. Performance based pay (pay per stop) makes it very profitable for myself. I often do my route plus 40 stops from the route next door to me. The boss man isn't going to give you 200 stops if he knows you're going to have 50 DNAs. So you work your ass off and secure a solid paycheck.

Is it a career? For me, no. But there's plenty of drivers in my terminal who own houses and have been there for 10 years or more.

You can tell what contractors pay VS those that don't just by looking who pulls up to work in what vehicle. My company all drive late model newer vehicles. But you also see a ton of jalopys in the parking lot. You get what you put in it to it. I give it my all and I do very well.

To correct your very first statement in this post the most efficient way for a contractor to pay an employee is to not have contractors at all and have the employee paid by the company he or she supposedly works for.

overflowed

No. I was complaining that two had left for Express. However, word has gotten back that Express sucks and hours are hard to come by...and then of course there's the takeaways. I mean, why leave for Express health care if it's not going to be there in 5 years anyway?
Let's not forget we actually get OT, vacation, and small things like that. How long who knows. Let me ask how many that left are banging down your door begging for forgiveness to come back?

overflowed

You're out of your mind, every ground turned express employee I've come across will work 90 hours a week if they can. You guys treat them so well they are jumping at all the OT available. Just crawling back according to you.

It will be fine

You're out of your mind, every ground turned express employee I've come across will work 90 hours a week if they can. You guys treat them so well they are jumping at all the OT available. Just crawling back according to you.
I thought all the Ground drivers were bottom of the barrel miscreants that couldn't possibly handle the rigors of an Express driver. How is this possible?

overflowed

I'm back! And also, I work a pretty urbanized area, so I see the UPS, Express, and FX Ground guy all the time. Paid per stop is the most efficient way for a contractor to pay an employee. If volume is low, the contractor doesn't lose anything. Both employee and route owners income are dependent upon volume. Paid per stop guarantees the contractor will always be able to afford pay roll. I'm a different scenario VS a Midwest route with low volume. I have benefits from a second party, so I don't need them from my employer. Even if I worked somewhere with a benefits package, I'd opt out of it because my healthcare is top notch and hardly costs me anything.

I steadily clear gross over $1100 a week. I work my ass off for it, but it sure beats MvDonalds. Ground/HD isn't for lazy people, if you want to earn big you have to work hard. Performance based pay (pay per stop) makes it very profitable for myself. I often do my route plus 40 stops from the route next door to me. The boss man isn't going to give you 200 stops if he knows you're going to have 50 DNAs. So you work your ass off and secure a solid paycheck.

Is it a career? For me, no. But there's plenty of drivers in my terminal who own houses and have been there for 10 years or more.

You can tell what contractors pay VS those that don't just by looking who pulls up to work in what vehicle. My company all drive late model newer vehicles. But you also see a ton of jalopys in the parking lot. You get what you put in it to it. I give it my all and I do very well.
Performance based pay? OK, i'm in.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I guess the only other option to a Challenger SRT is a Yugo.

I know, the guy has every right to drive what he wants, but he should seriously consider obtaining a "beater" for getting back and forth to work, if for no other reason than to maintain some cred with his employees....not to mention I might be a little concerned that one of them may just be tempted to vandalize the thing in the parking lot.

bbsam

Staff member
Let's not forget we actually get OT, vacation, and small things like that. How long who knows. Let me ask how many that left are banging down your door begging for forgiveness to come back?
Forgiveness? What's to forgive? And what makes you think I want or need them back? But I can tell you (again) that word has gotten back to the building that Express ain't all that great after all.

bbsam

Staff member
What are you talking about? I'm

It will be fine

I know, the guy has every right to drive what he wants, but he should seriously consider obtaining a "beater" for getting back and forth to work, if for no other reason than to maintain some cred with his employees....not to mention I might be a little concerned that one of them may just be tempted to vandalize the thing in the parking lot.
Driving a beater as the owner would be irresponsible. When you're basically on call for the entire time your drivers are on the road you need reliable transportation.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
It's hardly different than a McDonald's franchise owner that makes $1M a year and pays employees minimum wage. As the owner, there's an assumed risked we you start a business. The owner is the one who acquired a business loan and put forth their own money in hopes of getting a return off of it. The owner has to eat too. Why do fry cooks receive minimum wage? Because that's what the going rate is. UPS sets an unrealistic bar which a contractor is unable to compete with working for FedEx. You have to be careful in the FedEx game because if you screw it up, your business is taken away from you and you lose it all. many contractors pay their employees what they are able to afford; without bankrupting the business and leaving themselves wiggle room to cover vehicle maintenance

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Driving a beater as the owner would be irresponsible. When you're basically on call for the entire time your drivers are on the road you need reliable transportation.
That's why I put "beater" in quotes. I don't mean an old, unreliable clunker. I'm just talking about something perhaps 3 or 4 years old and somewhere between a 70k muscle car and a Yugo....also commonly referred to as a "grocery getter".

I hear what Sam is saying about the car likely costing the guy far less than the bennies, and again I don't begrudge him the car - but really, leave the toy at home. When you're trying to tell your guys that you'd really love to give them more but you're just strapped - it's probably not the wisest thing to drive in and flaunt in front of their noses....unless your goal is to just widen the gulf between yourself and them.

Last edited:

dezguy

There is nothing wrong with driving a nice vehicle but to go out and buy one two weeks after you told one of your employees no to health benefits because you can't afford it, I'm sorry but I find that downright a jerk move. It is a slap in the face to the employee, who is a good worker and allows the route owner the ability to make the living he does.

CJinx

It is a slap in the face to the employee, who is a good worker and allows the route owner the ability to make the living he does.
A hard-working frontline employee makes the business owner's life easier, but doesn't necessarily "allow the ability to make a living". Anyone can do unskilled labor; not everyone is cut out to run a successful business.

TUT

Did he have to go out and buy a $70 000 vehicle

There's a 70k Challenger? Why does this need repeated? Our system is capitalistic not communistic, I'm pretty sure every school has teaches us that. Also boss typically does better than employee. Don't like, become boss, no law against it, just takes right mentalities.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's a 70k Challenger? Why does this need repeated? Our system is capitalistic not communistic, I'm pretty sure every school has teaches us that. Also boss typically does better than employee. Don't like, become boss, no law against it, just takes right mentalities.

You do have to admit that crying poverty to an employee who wants health benefits and then going out and buying an expensive toy does tend to send the wrong message.

TUT

A hard-working frontline employee makes the business owner's life easier, but doesn't necessarily "allow the ability to make a living". Anyone can do unskilled labor; not everyone is cut out to run a successful business.

Not everyone can be unskilled labor and work for another. I feel a fair percentage of owners have to be owner, because they are uncut to work for another due to traits that make it difficult for them to be satisfied or the employer to deal with this person long term. That is why enough owners are :censored2:s, they can't maintain employment and are pretty much forced into it as their only course of action.

Last edited: