Fedex plan for you.

TNT Frosty

oh wow; not sure; but with "X' doing all of this, and if your still failing as a business to make profit, and yet others do, do you think its to do with yourself, or with the "X"
Sounds like the OP has not only a gripe with the company, but with his (or her) handler, and has poor peoples skills to add on top, and expected fedex to do more then all the above.
Sounds also like someone wants to do the dirty as well, by wanting to hide what they are doing... if OP was a customer, and wanted to know where their goods were, just being told, its in America... would that be good for an answer?; even just saying what state its in, not sure that would fly... but then how is X going to tract where the goods are, and if its on route that day... by tracking it, having a scanner scan the freight on board, and saying, oh, the driver is just a few streets away; but then the customer asks for a time so they can pick their kids up or not from hospital... ask the driver who scanned it on board his truck and if they can get there sooner then later....
Simple answer to why fedex knows where you are and what your doing is, to aid customers, and also a safety feature... how many drivers like customers complain saying how late they are, or its all their fault, and to reject the goods... safety side I see, is if the gps sees me on the road one minute, then moving along a river, or along a mountain side... surly something not right.

Corporation is not an option, I agree... its a must.

If you were to think X is out to get you, then I dont know, maybe speak to them in an adult manor, and ask... simple, it sounds like your jumping the gun big time.

bacha29

Look, as an XG contractor you're not doing anything X can't do themselves except for two matters and two matters only.....The ability to do the job CHEAPER than they can do it themselves and to keep the Teamsters out as evidenced by the extraordinary command and control measures X takes legal or otherwise in order to ensure that you the contractor completes those two objectives. And if you can't it's hasta lavista baby and they then turn to some other party who has them convinced that they can do the job.
Proclaiming you to be an "independent contractor" X used a very loosely defined term as a tool in order to acquire the most necessary component needed to keep this little scam going.....cheap nonunion labor. It can't function without it but the question is will there be a narrower and more clearly defined legal description of the term " independent contractor" in the days to come?
Caught off guard by an unexpected downturn in the international air freight sector after making a huge investment in that space corporate will be looking in all areas for economies in an attempt shore up margins possibly at the expense of contractor margins.

Recently the Brookings Institute released a study saying that 36 million American jobs could be eliminated by means of robotics and AI within a decade. With the supply of cheap unsuspecting labor thinning out in some sectors of the country the question might soon become how much additional money an XG contractor may have to put at risk in order to acquire robotic labor and autonomous driving delivery vehicles making it much more likely that through the use of that type of technology final mile delivery will be again be under the ownership and control of XG themselves because of their access to the mountain of required capital

In the meantime without adequate supplies of cheap unsuspecting labor working their damn fool heads off for peanuts the game collapses.
It is for that reason contractors need to get out ahead of it's disappearance . Let the next starry eyed "entrepreneur" wannabe figure out what to do about it.

TNT Frosty

In an adult manor? The word is manner and knowing FedEx, they won’t listen.

Thanks for correcting the slight miss-spelt word there. (love phone typing)
==============
The times iv'e spoken to FedEx etc, sure it may take its time, but issues do get resolved or more of an understanding sooner or later.
Not too sure why you guys are worked up about AI doing the job, (honest question)

Germany trials for their mercs to change speed depending on the speed signs, became so faulty, not only because of the number of signs, but also, the computer is determining your speed and weight, and getting said vehicle up to, or slow down to the correct speed. it's also got to work out, snow, rain, hail, heat.. (and we know heat + computers = dead)
There is a lot of factors to go into automating a truck, let alone a car... road type, time of day, is it a school day, emergency road works, car crashes...
Now to look onto a driver-less truck... and lets use Waymo as the operator.
If you look at the cars they have rolling out, they require cameras/sensors all over the truck, to cover the full range of the truck, so they will need either 4 smaller ones, or two higher sensors on the top, increasing truck height, and width.
Waymo has also said that they plan to have driver-less cars... but will have "drivers" behind the wheel just in case (March 2018, a driver less car kills 49yr old women in Arizona)
Its also found that once the cars start to move in making a "hard turn".. they keep going, and even after hitting another car or person they keep making the turn, just think of what will happen with a 40-70tonn truck.. and trailer... and if your trailer tire gets a flat, what the computer will assume will be a safe turn in a "hard spot, like crossing traffic"... or what would be a safe turn, on a major intersection where you cross two lanes have a small nature strip, then the two lanes on the other-side.. trucks ar'nt small... and so the sensors will have to be huge just for the range and the mixture of trailers and dollies attached...
Even the CEO of Waymo said that it will take centuries before cars are even more practical to out weight the costs.
SAE (J3016) Automation Levels
Even level 4 and 5 (high automation and full automation), still has a human driver behind the wheel, or managed by a human driver
-----
If I was running my own depot, so far what ive seen from FedEx theres not much left to change from the human contact, to the robot.
I could see the yard being changed a bit (but too costly), where you wont need tug drivers (or depot drivers, not sure what you guys call them).. where you line your trailers into a bay on the ground, unhook rear trailer, move up a little to the next (if needed), take off dolly, move up to the next, take off last trailer, etc (depending on your trailer numbers)... then you move your cab to a resting spot, and a small robot cart comes round and hooks up to one of the three "objects" either by the pin, or reverse up to the dolly to hook, then takes them to their bay...
And the reverse could happen, where the robots collect and build up the trailer combo for you and sets it in the staging area for you...
That example has some great security built into it, where you wouldn't even need to enter some locations that require background checks, or even when a trailer is late, or early... if early, no matter to you, as it would be in a staging area for the robot, and you can be on your way with a set of empties just have to drop and hook... if late, the robots could be sent a red alert to pick up your load asap, and give you empties asap in return...

But aside from that, the rest of the line up is fine, is just a few old timers, and people stuck/trained in the old ways of trying to be quick, and lazy for a buck.
Complain of not having enough to do, or complain of having too much, either way, there's someone to complain
======================

Oh for those saying the immigrants are also taking your jobs, you gotta have one first ;) (lols, been waiting to say that for ages); but on serious note, im just wanting to work 2-3 years with you guys, however the red tape is huge, as to go for my CDL is a right pain (even though im a trucker here in australia), not to mention, that FedEx must pay the same, or more to them, then what they are paying you guys, so as not to undercut the market... that means the drivers who are getting paid less, find out who is employing them, and complain to them, as that person is still getting the higher amount, just not paying his, or her, drivers the right amount, you can even call your immigration and let them know (big pay day for them, for the fines, and removing of said person)

=======
Ok, all PC typed, hopefully not too many spelling mistakes @Cactus

I am sure you suck just as bad with the other business due to your lack of comprehension and communication. I don’t live on the money I made from my X sale, I invested it and own another for my income (which I already stated to you) working 3-5 days a month unless problems or breakdowns happen. That’s what good business owners do that don’t fail. Interesting that your posts don’t pertain to me, or IWBF, or BB, or STF, or anyone else that have done well with the model. We acknowledge the irritations but still made it work and profited.
Why I have interest is you are deliberately trying to steer either employees, contractors, or potential contractors beyond what is reasonable. If drivers listen to some of your previous garbage they are probably already fired or will be soon. If I would have listened to people like you (which were the majority) and not BB when I was vetting some routes I would never have bought, but it ended up working out great. That is why I care, because there need to be voices of reason that acknowledge the good and bad instead of discruntled failures that preach garbage.
I am evaluating purchasing routes and would love to know more of your experience in acquisitions and also operating. You mentioned that you sold your routes after a few years of ownership. Could you describe the reason to sell if you were making it work so well? I am presently evaluating if I should jump from my paid position into route oweeship.

bacha29

I am evaluating purchasing routes and would love to know more of your experience in acquisitions and also operating. You mentioned that you sold your routes after a few years of ownership. Could you describe the reason to sell if you were making it work so well? I am presently evaluating if I should jump from my paid position into route oweeship.
While you're called an "independent contractor" by X the reality is that you're an administrator with an equity participation who is a willing participant in the race to the bottom of the cheap freight trucking business.
Every year you will sign the same basic one dimensional, one sided, unilaterally drafted and implemented contract whose terms are in no way shape or form binding upon FXG because there's simply no governing legal authority in place with the power to make it binding. Sure you could try to take them to arbitration if you wanted to , good luck with that because they reserve the right to pick the people who will sit on the arbitration board. It in turn leaves you totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company.

More importantly, it provides them with the opportunity to terminate you for any reason including no reason at all. Unlike road tractors where you can sign on the very next day with somebody else with steps and cutaways a viable alternative use for them is harder to find and if subjected to harsh rural environments they don't last long.

As for manpower in this the brave new world of cheap freight, let's put it this way. You'll need 3 guys on every truck. One coming, one driving and one leaving . The turnover will be your greatest challenge due to the difficulties in finding people willing to take what you have to offer in the way of wages and benefits.

But again the most important thing to remember is simply this........nothing's binding.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As for manpower in this the brave new world of cheap freight, let's put it this way. You'll need 3 guys on every truck. One coming, one driving and one leaving . The turnover will be your greatest challenge due to the difficulties in finding people willing to take what you have to offer in the way of wages and benefits.

I hope everyone is taking notes.

59 Dano

Contractors are bailing. Oh and BTW, welcome to 2019.

An acquaintance just sold his routes for $500k to another contractor who'd been bugging him about it for months. Bought in 10 years ago, had a total of $200k invested. Times must be hard.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
An acquaintance just sold his routes for $500k to another contractor who'd been bugging him about it for months. Bought in 10 years ago, had a total of $200k invested. Times must be hard.
All that proves is that P.T. Barum was right.

bacha29

Another example among many where a guy bought a contract believing that it's value is going to go up. Trouble is he bought from a guy who is equally convinced that it's going to go down.

59 Dano

Another example among many where a guy bought a contract believing that it's value is going to go up. Trouble is he bought from a guy who is equally convinced that it's going to go down.

The seller believed no such thing, Cramer.

bacha29

Contractors are bailing. Oh and BTW, welcome to 2019.
Well actually contracting for FXG is really not that hard to get into.
All you need to do is to find some guy to do a job you wouldn't do yourself, in weather conditions you wouldn't work in yourself, for pay you wouldn't accept yourself and if you can't find that guy yourself, you'll drive a route yourself and have no one to blame but yourself.