FedEx vs UPS. How does UPS do it?

bacha29

The company caring about it's employees ship sailed about 30 years ago. Would a company that cares about people create a division like Ground? So why did they? Because it's a cash cow. That's what it's all about. They were willing to ruin the future of tens of thousands of Express employees to get Ground up and running. No matter what they should be doing, this is who they are. The only reason they came up with the new pay plan was turnover was killing the Express cash cow. It was about saving their millions, not helping you. People long for the good ol' days. I suspect the pay and benefits of the good ol' days were about building a brand by attracting quality people. Nothing about the last 30 years makes me think they value people as much as profit. So if you're going to rail against them be prepared for a lot of frustration because it's their ball, their playing field, their rules.
There's only one of your points I would disagree with. Tens of millions have been poured into the expansion of Express in overseas markets. However the timeline for the returns on that investment has obviously been extended indefinitely making the quality of the employment for many express employees far less attractive.In the meantime it will be up to the other OPCO's to keep the company stock from going below the Mendoza Line. For Ground it will likely be the same old story come peak season. Going out and overselling the service and the always last to know contractors hard pressed to keep up.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So be it. But you can’t justify those salaries. You tell me what makes them worth that much?

What the going rate for each of those positions in a multibillion dollar global company that operates in over 200 countries?

Slowturtle

FedEx funds their own healthcare...
FedEx funds their their own retirement
FedEx has to hold billions in reserve for these
UPS has the teamster union that covers much of this
That's why FedEx employee makes $25
And UPS employee is making $40
FedEx has made some bad decisions...
Stock purchase buy back benefited the company zero
Tnt they should have more prepared

MAKAVELI

FedEx funds their own healthcare...
FedEx funds their their own retirement
FedEx has to hold billions in reserve for these
UPS has the teamster union that covers much of this
That's why FedEx employee makes $25
And UPS employee is making $40
FedEx has made some bad decisions...
Stock purchase buy back benefited the company zero
Tnt they should have more prepared
UPS funds both, healthcare and pension, Teamsters only administer the plans. UPS drivers make what they do because they have a union contract.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What the going rate for each of those positions in a multibillion dollar global company that operates in over 200 countries?
You still haven’t justified their bloated salaries. Furthermore most of them couldn’t even tell you which 200 countries they are let alone manage them. They have people over there to do that.

Cactus

You never justified your own. Besides, not my job to justify someone else's salary unless I'm the one responsible for them getting it.
Ooh! Defensive ain’t we?

You’re on here as a company “spokesman” but resorting to confusing the issue is the oldest trick in the book at the Memphis Mind Academy. Maybe first you need to justify your salary?

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
staffing is a huge expense, but what Fedex does isn’t cheap or efficient enough to overtake how each UPS driver is a one-stop-shop for services

Amazon might be eventually we’ll see, building from the ground up they could have an integrated model too and use the best of Fedex and UPS practices, but only time will tell

59 Dano

You have consistently criticized couriers based on results.

Why the double standard?

I criticize couriers based on results that are directly attributable to their decisions and performance. There's a big difference between that and blithely and ignorantly blaming someone further up the food chain for whatever the popular complaint is this week.

I agree. They can’t even get freight to the stations on time. Must be a lost art or something. Either that or they just don’t care anymore.

For example.

59 Dano

Ooh! Defensive ain’t we?

You’re on here as a company “spokesman” but resorting to confusing the issue is the oldest trick in the book at the Memphis Mind Academy. Maybe first you need to justify your salary?

You're asking me to justify someone else's salary, which I don't do because I'm not the ones determining who gets what. I asked you to justify yours, which you can't do because you're not smart enough.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I criticize couriers based on results that are directly attributable to their decisions and performance. There's a big difference between that and blithely and ignorantly blaming someone further up the food chain for whatever the popular complaint is this week.
So THAT'S why passing the buck is such a practiced art with management! If it's not DIRECTLY attributable to an individual, then without ownership, the problem is lost in the ether! QDM becomes another instrument to reassign blame.

How about this: ALL upper management is responsible for ALL unresolved problems. Like you, they've stepped up to the plate and accepted that responsibility. No?

Cactus

You're asking me to justify someone else's salary, which I don't do because I'm not the ones determining who gets what. I asked you to justify yours, which you can't do because you're not smart enough.
This isn’t about me and I asked you a question first. Obviously you’re too dumb to answer or you haven’t come up with the right excuse yet.

59 Dano

How about this: ALL upper management is responsible for ALL unresolved problems.

That's so stupid it could only come from someone who's never held any level of responsibility.

Like you, they've stepped up to the plate and accepted that responsibility. No?

You realize that those higher up the chain get fired more frequently than frontliners, don't you?

59 Dano

This isn’t about me and I asked you a question first. Obviously you’re too dumb to answer or you haven’t come up with the right excuse yet.

The answer will go over your head, but here goes.

Their salaries are less than or equal to their marginal revenue product. That's how those salaries are justified.

dezguy

That's so stupid it could only come from someone who's never held any level of responsibility.

You realize that those higher up the chain get fired more frequently than frontliners, don't you?
LOL and just who is supposed to be responsible for unsolved problems?? Let me guess? The frontline employees who have no say, regarding policy.

Of course management is responsible for unsolved problems, that's their job!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The stupidity comes from FedEx management (you?) and their QDM process they hype. If you become aware of a problem, you should own it until it's resolved, not pass the buck and say "not MY problem". That's an awesome responsibility you're shirking, Dano.