Feeder Driver- Non trailer

You will know more when they only send you a class B permit... Then it's a box truck... If they send you for a class A... Then you will get to go to trucking school to get your license and then they will train you in house for two weeks... The permit will be the big clue.

MrFeeder

It's 26K, but correct.

Although the UPS box trucks are under 26K, thus only needing an operators license.

The current feeder training is a 2 week class. The first week is classroom, although by Wednesday you should be driving a tractor around the yard. Monday and Tuesday you should be in an office with the trainer going over all the rules, equipment, pre-trip. post-trip and the UPS way to do things.

By Thursday, you should be pulling a single trailer on the road, and by Friday, you should be pulling doubles.

The second week is a production week. You will actually be doing a job, pulling loads to hubs and back.

After the second week, if he says you are good to go, you need to schedule an appointment with the BMV to take your CDL test. A sup will go with you and UPS will supply the tractor and trailer.

Thanks for the input. Regarding the dmv written test, HR mentioned that I have 15 days to complete that. Is that what that is? A dmv written test to obtain a permit so I can proceed with the two week class?

Thanks for the input. Regarding the dmv written test, HR mentioned that I have 15 days to complete that. Is that what that is? A dmv written test to obtain a permit so I can proceed with the two week class?
Yes... Get all that is required for you go to class.. Check with the ups as much as with your local union to see if the info is good... For example; when I was call to my class I was told I need an hazmat by HR... I asked the union and they said no I don't... Then I asked a lot of feeder drivers and they said they don't have hazmat.. Good luck!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I drove a Feeder Department reject straight truck when I went full-time in '84. I haven't seen one since. It was a Ford C-600 cabover with dual fuel tanks, air dam on roof, air brakes, and it had a weird recording device in the cab that had a round timecard looking thing that recorded miles. It was originally used to make feeder runs to small Centers, they probably did away with them when the pup trailers came out. It was a real POS truck that blew up engines a lot. I had to get a Class B CDL, which I still carry.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes, the learners permit is a written (multiple choice)test you take at DMV. Typically at least 3 sections general knowledge, air brakes, double/triples. DMV should have a booklet that you study for the test, some people like to take it home and read it over I just read through all the sections right there in the lobby and then took the test, it's not that hard.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I drove a Feeder Department reject straight truck when I went full-time in '84. I haven't seen one since. It was a Ford C-600 cabover with dual fuel tanks, air dam on roof, air brakes, and it had a weird recording device in the cab that had a round timecard looking thing that recorded miles. It was originally used to make feeder runs to small Centers, they probably did away with them when the pup trailers came out. It was a real POS truck that blew up engines a lot. I had to get a Class B CDL, which I still carry.
Tachograf?

Shiftless

That round time card thing was a Tachograph used in feeder that you put a paper disc inside and a scribe in the unit marked the paper disc which told all kinds of things on how the driver was treating the truck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That round time card thing was a Tachograph used in feeder that you put a paper disc inside and a scribe in the unit marked the paper disc which told all kinds of things on how the driver was treating the truck.

Tachograph, I couldn't remember the name. I never used it, we just had the old paper time cards back then.

Last edited:

Johney

,you need to schedule an appointment with the BMV to take your CDL test. A sup will go with you and UPS will supply the tractor and trailer.
Not necessarily, here the feeder manager is certified to give you the CDL test. It's about an hour and a half or so. An hour on property doing pre-trip and backing test's then at least a 1/2 hour driving with a pup in city traffic. Then pending your passing he would give you a certification to take to the DMV giving you your Class "A". Go there and get your new license.

Johney

Yes, the learners permit is a written (multiple choice)test you take at DMV. Typically at least 3 sections general knowledge, air brakes, double/triples. DMV should have a booklet that you study for the test, some people like to take it home and read it over I just read through all the sections right there in the lobby and then took the test, it's not that hard.
4 parts.....General Knowledge,Combinations,Air Brakes & Double's/Triple's. Look into some of the online course's and test's they help a lot.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Old school for sure. I never had the pleasure but a couple of old-time feeder guys I work with have. As a matter of fact I think only one guy is left who knows about those the rest have retired.
I don't think they even use them in the US anymore, it's only in the EU/UK.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If I remember it's about 100 question's? 25 each section and you can only miss 5 per section? That sound right?
General knowledge is 50 questions, all the other sections are 25 questions. So 125 total. And I think it's 80% correct to pass so you can miss up to 10 on the General and 5 on the rest.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not necessarily, here the feeder manager is certified to give you the CDL test. It's about an hour and a half or so. An hour on property doing pre-trip and backing test's then at least a 1/2 hour driving with a pup in city traffic. Then pending your passing he would give you a certification to take to the DMV giving you your Class "A". Go there and get your new license.

They also used to be certified here to give you the test. The problem was that the BMV started wanting the UPS certified instructors to also test other company's drivers.

So they stopped that here 15 years ago. Now we have to go to the BMV.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
General knowledge is 50 questions, all the other sections are 25 questions. So 125 total. And I think it's 80% correct to pass so you can miss up to 10 on the General and 5 on the rest.

Sounds about right.

The good thing is if you aren't sure about a question, you can skip it and go to the next one. Once you get your 80% you passed and may not need to go back and guess at the ones you did not know.

There are also a million places online that offer a free practice test.

Here is just one site.

FREE CDL Practice Test (Updated for 2017)

Johney

Ok I knew it was something like that.