Feeding animals on your route. On topic only...please.

Should you feed the animals?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It is strictly against UPS policy but many drivers still do it.
It's a good way to get bit and have a time loss injury. This practice costs the company alot of money and can permanently deform you.

What do you think?
I've gotten the "strictly against UPS policy" speil from 3 different sups in the morning before starting an OJS ride. By 10:30 they have their pockets stuffed full of biscuits and are handing them out like a little kid at a petting zoo.

As of this month I have 29 years in with zero dog bites and zero dogs run over. No cover driver has ever been bitten on my route either. Biscuits dont cause bites they prevent them. People are free to disagree with my methods but they cant argue with my results.

clean hairy

Have a large rawhide bone in the truck.
Large dog behaving vicious.
Crack dog on side of head with rawhide bone as if you are trying to hit a home run.
"I was just throwing this rawhide for Fido, but he jumped up and got hit in the side of head just as I was throwing it!"

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Don't do it. Dogs have food allergies and you and ups could very well be responsible for a bad allergic reaction and even death.

Not only that but it creates excitement that doesn't need to be there
I always ask if the dog is allowed to have a treat, occasionally they will say no, but most times they are appreciative of it

35years

Gravy route
Met a pit bull for the first time at 10:28 AM at a NDA stop. Stood outside my passenger door looking at me. I still had an sausage and egg Mcmuffin I really did not want to eat. I threw him a small chunk of the sausage... He loved it, but I was still didn't trust him. So with package in hand I threw the circular sausage Frisbee as far as I could away from the house. He took off, and I was able to sprint to the house and back to the truck before he got back. Fastest I have delivered in the last 20 years!

oldngray

nowhere special
funny-119.jpg

It is strictly against UPS policy but many drivers still do it.
It's a good way to get bit and have a time loss injury. This practice costs the company alot of money and can permanently deform you.

What do you think?
I fear no dogs. I respect all dogs. If I get into a situation where it's me or the dog I'd put my money on me. I think feeding them ultimately is wrong overall but like to give his ute and I leave a ton in my truck. I've been bit multiple times and I bet I get bit again. I'll get over it.

I've gotten the "strictly against UPS policy" speil from 3 different sups in the morning before starting an OJS ride. By 10:30 they have their pockets stuffed full of biscuits and are handing them out like a little kid at a petting zoo.

As of this month I have 29 years in with zero dog bites and zero dogs run over. No cover driver has ever been bitten on my route either. Biscuits dont cause bites they prevent them. People are free to disagree with my methods but they cant argue with my results.
Have you considered being a used car salesman?

underworked1

Dog treats are a necessity for a cover driver's bag, especially on rural routes. I keep a few in my pocket at all times. Never know when one will hop out from a cracked garage door or around from the backyard. I won't risk an attempt at all if they're loose and barking when I approach, but once you're halfway to the door WTF you gonna do? Best to have a distraction ready to go.
country stop you aren't familiar with its pretty much mandatory to hit that horn a couple times when you pull up. Almost got ate up by 2 great Danes once because they were in the garage. Horn brings em out 99% of the time. Plus we are supposed to honk at every stop anyway