Feeding animals on your route. On topic only...please.

Should you feed the animals?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...Routes on which the regular drivers care for the dogs and treat them kindly differ a great deal from routes which the regular driver is a dog hater.
Now, inherited my current route from a driver that spent 20+ years preparing the dogs by feeding them. They don't bother me and I treat them kindly with a treat. I even give them a friendly pat on the head.
Every single dog that was living on the rural part of my route when I bid it 22 years ago has died, and been replaced by at least one and sometimes several generations of new dogs that have only known me as the regular delivery driver. I go out of my way to make sure a "new" dog's first contact with me is a positive one; if it learns as a puppy that UPS man = nice man then it will remember it for the rest of its life and never be a problem. Whover bids my route when I retire in a few years will have had all the hard work done for him in terms of training the dogs; all he or she will have to do is carry on where I left off.

soberups

It seems counter-intuitive, but the reality is that we are in far less danger of getting bitten on a rural route where all the dogs run loose than we are on a city route where the dogs are confined. Its the dogs that are supposed to be confined but aren't that pose the greatest risk to us; the typical UPS dog bite scenario involves a gate that accidentally gets left open or a small child that opens the door and lets the protective family dog out with no warning. If the dogs are already loose, we can observe them and evaluate their behavior with a fair degree of accuracy while we are still safe in the package car. And there is also a Darwinian process at work in rural areas when it comes to dogs; aggressive/dangerous dogs that are loose and wander onto the neighbors property usually get shot immediately, especially if they chase livestock.

soberups

Costco sells them in bulk.
The last Costco dog biscuits I looked at were made in China. I dont trust them, every once in awhile you hear horror stories about dogs getting sick from toxic additives. I spend a little extra on a better grade of biscuits, made in the USA. They are the ones I give my own dog.

Here is my buddy. He loves dog food
IMG_20151105_170104750.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Every single dog that was living on the rural part of my route when I bid it 22 years ago has died, and been replaced by at least one and sometimes several generations of new dogs that have only known me as the regular delivery driver. I go out of my way to make sure a "new" dog's first contact with me is a positive one; if it learns as a puppy that UPS man = nice man then it will remember it for the rest of its life and never be a problem. Whover bids my route when I retire in a few years will have had all the hard work done for him in terms of training the dogs; all he or she will have to do is carry on where I left off.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the reality is that we are in far less danger of getting bitten on a rural route where all the dogs run loose than we are on a city route where the dogs are confined. Its the dogs that are supposed to be confined but aren't that pose the greatest risk to us; the typical UPS dog bite scenario involves a gate that accidentally gets left open or a small child that opens the door and lets the protective family dog out with no warning. If the dogs are already loose, we can observe them and evaluate their behavior with a fair degree of accuracy while we are still safe in the package car. And there is also a Darwinian process at work in rural areas when it comes to dogs; aggressive/dangerous dogs that are loose and wander onto the neighbors property usually get shot immediately, especially if they chase livestock.

I could contradict so much of what you say by my personal experience, but I don't feel like writing a treatise.