Feeding animals on your route. On topic only...please.

Should you feed the animals?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

hyena

Boom. Lmao!
What duck ?
image.jpeg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I could contradict so much of what you say by my personal experience, but I don't feel like writing a treatise.
29 years zero dog bites. 29 years zero dogs run over. Zero cover drivers ever bitten on my route. You dont have to agree with my methods but you cant beat my results.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
29 years zero dog bites. 29 years zero dogs run over. Zero cover drivers ever bitten on my route. You dont have to agree with my methods but you cant beat my results.

34 1/2 years driving, one dog committed suicide on a two lane, blind curve, 55 MPH speed limit road, and one bite from a 16 year old dog that had never been at that house before.

Just a question, do you or have you had your own dogs?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I'm like Sober. One of the few joys I get anymore is giving dogs treats. It cracks me up when someone that has never run a route tells me it's a bad idea to dogs biscuits. First of all, the dog becomes your buddy. Second, the dog let's their owners know their buddy in the brown truck is there. Third, I need that little bit of malicious disobedience to keep sane.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
34 1/2 years driving, one dog committed suicide on a two lane, blind curve, 55 MPH speed limit road, and one bite from a 16 year old dog that had never been at that house before.

Just a question, do you or have you had your own dogs?
I have always had one or more dogs.

Your record is impressive. What you are doing obviously works for you. What I am doing works for me. I think the person best qualified to decide how to deal with the dogs on a given route is the driver who runs it. Not some suit in Atlanta.

Johney

It seems counter-intuitive, but the reality is that we are in far less danger of getting bitten on a rural route where all the dogs run loose than we are on a city route where the dogs are confined. Its the dogs that are supposed to be confined but aren't that pose the greatest risk to us; the typical UPS dog bite scenario involves a gate that accidentally gets left open or a small child that opens the door and lets the protective family dog out with no warning. If the dogs are already loose, we can observe them and evaluate their behavior with a fair degree of accuracy while we are still safe in the package car. And there is also a Darwinian process at work in rural areas when it comes to dogs; aggressive/dangerous dogs that are loose and wander onto the neighbors property usually get shot immediately, especially if they chase livestock.

29 years without a dog bite? Well as you clearly posted in the top post there is no reason why you shouldn't have a perfect record on dog issues. I'll let you in on a little secret I delivered non rural resis for close to fifteen years without a dog issue and I never carried a dog biscuit in my life.
Hopefully your biscuits will never kill someone's dog after some poor cover guy hands them out due to some allergy. I can read it now, I got fired for handing out dog biscuits like the regular guy. SMH