Finally stopping by!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
soooo ill ask, why do yall box tossers hate IT so much?

I think the diad is a pretty decent piece of equipment. The current version seems to be a little underpowered to deal with all the orion nonsense. Also, the way we have to put in our lunches now is a downgrade. When we could just put in our time, there was no problem. Now, I've found at least three ways to mess it up, and have to have the OMS fix it a few times a week.

DiadesSuk

I think the diad is a pretty decent piece of equipment. The current version seems to be a little underpowered to deal with all the orion nonsense. Also, the way we have to put in our lunches now is a downgrade. When we could just put in our time, there was no problem. Now, I've found at least three ways to mess it up, and have to have the OMS fix it a few times a week.
Do they give you a way to submit this feedback? Here's the problem that I feel brings so much disconnect between you guys (the users) and IT. We dont want to make your job harder or :censored2:tier. We really dont. But if I was to estimate about 1% of your issues actually makes it back to us to fix in a timely manner. The drivers complain about things never getting fixed but im starting to wonder if its fake "red tape" that hub management and others are making to justify their failure to actually tell us "something is wrong fix it". Most of your headaches with any application could be fixed in 24 hours. thats it.. 24 hours..

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Do they give you a way to submit this feedback? Here's the problem that I feel brings so much disconnect between you guys (the users) and IT. We dont want to make your job harder or *tier. We really dont. But if I was to estimate about 1% of your issues actually makes it back to us to fix in a timely manner. The drivers complain about things never getting fixed but im starting to wonder if its fake "red tape" that hub management and others are making to justify their failure to actually tell us "something is wrong fix it". Most of your headaches with any application could be fixed in 24 hours. thats it.. 24 hours..
I’ve managed so many people that passively sit back and wait for “feedback”….
You need to get out into whatever operation you’re supporting and actively evaluate whatever you’re responsible for.
Not just a 1-2 times per year field trip either!
If you don’t integrate “field service” into your week, you’re always going to be deemed useless.

DiadesSuk

No, he's the guy that implements the program without asking for input from the people who actually have to use it.
lol i get my orders just lke you except I dont have a union to hide behind nothing personal but if i dont do as im told without questioning it, i lose my job the same day. I dont get hearings or 12 strikes lol. No offense or anything.
Lol
This shows how truly out of touch you are
then blame your management team. You can sit in the hub or in your truck and blame big bad IT, but we don't get :censored2: from you guys lol. We only find out this stuff once the company loses money or another pen pusher has a bright idea.. Ive read through this forum and the hate for corp/IT is rampant but in the end, we're just here doing a job just like you.. I don't have a desk at Glenlake over looking the city lol.. I get my orders from Sr Management and i make them happen.. As for the comment above about the lunches inputs, I'll pass that along and hopefully they can fix it. Ive moved on from the diad stuff and deal with customer projects.

What you box tossers don't realize(no disrespect at all), we appreciate what yall do out there. I don't think anyone in IT comes to the office and openly says to anyone: "Hey, lets make their lives a living hell out there!!!" but to say we're out of touch is a little harsh given its your managers and their managers that push the development. You're being closed minded if you think they don't drop the ball or refuse to tell corp that their tech sucks more now than it did before, because I've sat in those meetings across from your leaders and they don't say :censored2:. They sit there looking at their phones and leave when the dev meetings are up. We cant fix anything unless we're told to fix them and we dont enhance things unless we're told to enhance them lol.

I'm glad i found this group. Its easier to understand the headaches in the hub directly than it being relayed through 50 people that most of the time dont give a :censored2: lol.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do they give you a way to submit this feedback? Here's the problem that I feel brings so much disconnect between you guys (the users) and IT. We dont want to make your job harder or *tier. We really dont. But if I was to estimate about 1% of your issues actually makes it back to us to fix in a timely manner. The drivers complain about things never getting fixed but im starting to wonder if its fake "red tape" that hub management and others are making to justify their failure to actually tell us "something is wrong fix it". Most of your headaches with any application could be fixed in 24 hours. thats it.. 24 hours..
Drivers are last to be told about anything and never is input solicited. Even account reps will screw over drivers by making promises the driver cannot keep.

A typical example is pickup time commits. As drivers, our first question was, "how about ready pickups or on-route pickups"? (Both are pickups are without any specific pickup time, no closing time, when you get there, you get there.) If the powers that be- only took a second to understand the drivers job, these pickups would be excluded from being counted on the time frame pickup report. Of course, they are not.

Another example is the elimination of gender selection in driver release. Have these people ever done a tracer? Knowing who received the delivery is a major plus in clearing it up. All they did is guarantee more negative outcomes.

DiadesSuk

I’ve managed so many people that passively sit back and wait for “feedback”….
You need to get out into whatever operation you’re supporting and actively evaluate whatever you’re responsible for.
Not just a 1-2 times per year field trip either!
If you don’t integrate “field service” into your week, you’re always going to be deemed useless.
I couldnt agree more. I spend countless hours in some of the FSL's. But my time much like yours is valuable and we dont get to just take field trips anymore. There is ZERO and i mean to use that word with passion, creativity within the UPS IT team. I could personally spend 1 week with you guys on a truck and make your days so much easier by resolving silly petty :censored2: that you have to do. But theres two things that stand in my way: Corp and the Union...

Believe it or not, im on yalls team. But much like everything else, old UPS hasn't changed up all the guards yet. Its getting close, but the shakeup from Corp down is in progress and HOPEFULLY things may get better once they all retire ESPECIALLY on the IT side of things.

Wally

lol i get my orders just lke you except I dont have a union to hide behind nothing personal but if i dont do as im told without questioning it, i lose my job the same day. I dont get hearings or 12 strikes lol. No offense or anything.

then blame your management team. You can sit in the hub or in your truck and blame big bad IT, but we don't get * from you guys lol. We only find out this stuff once the company loses money or another pen pusher has a bright idea.. Ive read through this forum and the hate for corp/IT is rampant but in the end, we're just here doing a job just like you.. I don't have a desk at Glenlake over looking the city lol.. I get my orders from Sr Management and i make them happen.. As for the comment above about the lunches inputs, I'll pass that along and hopefully they can fix it. Ive moved on from the diad stuff and deal with customer projects.

What you box tossers don't realize(no disrespect at all), we appreciate what yall do out there. I don't think anyone in IT comes to the office and openly says to anyone: "Hey, lets make their lives a living hell out there!!!" but to say we're out of touch is a little harsh given its your managers and their managers that push the development. You're being closed minded if you think they don't drop the ball or refuse to tell corp that their tech sucks more now than it did before, because I've sat in those meetings across from your leaders and they don't say *. They sit there looking at their phones and leave when the dev meetings are up. We cant fix anything unless we're told to fix them and we dont enhance things unless we're told to enhance them lol.

I'm glad i found this group. Its easier to understand the headaches in the hub directly than it being relayed through 50 people that most of the time dont give a * lol.
We all accept the fact that the suit monkeys at the top are clueless.

DiadesSuk

We all accept the fact that the suit monkeys at the top are clueless.
They need to let us do what we do best and innovate correctly. But they're too busy buying out companies and bringing the :censored2:ty management from those companies onboard versus just letting them go before we acquire them.. Theres a reason why most of these guys left UPS after the buyout (VSAP) and went to NC to start a new logistic company.

Wally

They need to let us do what we do best and innovate correctly. But they're too busy buying out companies and bringing the *ty management from those companies onboard versus just letting them go before we acquire them.. Theres a reason why most of these guys left UPS after the buyout (VSAP) and went to NC to start a new logistic company.
How long does it take to ask some veteran drivers about any given programs? Never done, NEVER.

DiadesSuk

How long does it take to ask some veteran drivers about any given programs? Never done, NEVER.
When in reality that's where the development should start. None of your ideas get passed off as your ideas. Someone above you wraps them as their own or they never even get submitted. The mindset "what does a truck driver know about technology" when in reality you're the SME. Not beating a deadhorse but actual developers have been requesting this stuff for ages now.

Wally

When in reality that's where the development should start. None of your ideas get passed off as your ideas. Someone above you wraps them as their own or they never even get submitted. The mindset "what does a truck driver know about technology" when in reality you're the SME. Not beating a deadhorse but actual developers have been requesting this stuff for ages now.
Probably not the best way to turn a profit. Good for earning overtime though.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

My thinking is that if the OMS has to fix 20 time cards a day because the new "more accurate" lunch input in the DIAD, that it would behoove them to initiate a request for a fix. I tried talking to management about problems the first few years. Generally I'd get the brush off, or they would make things worse. That's a real good teaching method, if you want people to shut up and go away. So, I just show up, do my job, go home. When they finally get sick of dealing with their headaches, they will find the real causes and fix them. I think, for the most part, the management cycles through so fast no one knows who to talk to to get problems fixed.

Wally

My thinking is that if the OMS has to fix 20 time cards a day because the new "more accurate" lunch input in the DIAD, that it would behoove them to initiate a request for a fix. I tried talking to management about problems the first few years. Generally I'd get the brush off, or they would make things worse. That's a real good teaching method, if you want people to shut up and go away. So, I just show up, do my job, go home. When they finally get sick of dealing with their headaches, they will find the real causes and fix them. I think, for the most part, the management cycles through so fast no one knows who to talk to to get problems fixed.
All they need is a "reason for edit" screen, the driver could also be asked to verify the truthfulness of said edit. Any driver could have told them that.

DiadesSuk

Or they could just let us enter the times like they used to.
My guess is theres plausibly some drivers that ruined that for you? From my perspective, most of the fixes/enhancements that come from yalls neck of the woods is because someone was beating the system, someone screwed it up or upper management was tired of being affected by it. I think alot of your headaches still persist because they want stuff to bich about and point fingers. Just my opinion though.

DiadesSuk

good chat here. Soo whats the secret to this place? We all say what we think, whats the score board of people getting canned for it lol