First Day Driving- Post Yours Too

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We had a foxy young blond gal as a temp driver one Christmas. She never did get the hang of delivering an honest load. They kept giving her less and less until one day a friend of mine yelled out--"what's it take to get an easy day around here--blond hair and tits".

"Foxy" damn your showing your age

Lmao

542thruNthru

I can't wait til Alabama wins the championship this year...it's gonna be great....roll damn tide

Yyyyeeeaaahhhhh... it's nice to have dreams. Keep your chin up champ.

giphy-2.gif
giphy-1.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Oh yeah, we were over by something, I forget what. Nothing too crazy. And yeah I think he did mention it's like a "training route" or something. Although, he did forget a package and have to backtrack, so there's that. I didn't actually drive, other than to the town and back to the center, just ran the DIAD and hoofed stuff. So.

But yeah, like I said, I'm already expecting it will get tougher.

WHAT ELSE YA GOT???

Have fun when daylight savings time ends. That's when we get to see who's afraid of the dark, and who can drive and find numbers in the dark. Funny shcizz.

BUCN85

There comes a point at my center when a little boy driver becomes a man in the eyes of management. And from then on, you’re blown out every day. It’s what you can expect every day.

If you’re just a seasonal driver coming out of a part time sort, they’re probably not gonna blow you out daily. Just don’t go full time. Because then they own you.
Well then I guess they think I'm a very manly man. lol. Like the guy on the Old Spice commercial.

The Driver

I drive.
My first day out alone I turned onto a street I needed to be on to make a stop. Problem being there was a moving van blocking the road and my stop was all the way down the street. So instead of going around or coming back later like I would now, I panicked and decided to deliver the stop anyway. Realized I needed a two wheeler for it. Lots of heavy stuff. Of course. So here am, green as hell and freaking out that I'm wasting time, walking a huge load down the road like a maroon. Had someone ask me where my truck was. I'll never forget that feeling. "OH :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: I'll never qualify now"

tacken

Hummm First day and you our the biggest idiot in your hub!!! Wait until your babysitter is gone and they throw you blind on a route at 9:30 in the morning.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My first day out alone I turned onto a street I needed to be on to make a stop. Problem being there was a moving van blocking the road and my stop was all the way down the street. So instead of going around or coming back later like I would now, I panicked and decided to deliver the stop anyway. Realized I needed a two wheeler for it. Lots of heavy stuff. Of course. So here am, green as hell and freaking out that I'm wasting time, walking a huge load down the road like a maroon. Had someone ask me where my truck was. I'll never forget that feeling. "OH :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: I'll never qualify now"
Had the same thing happen when my p1000 broke down on an air route. The old, worthless 1970's POS had just been (humorously) fitted with a brand new keyless in 2012. Of course it failed. I walked off a stop around 1/4 mile (last stop of day) and at least 2-3 people asked me where the truck was. I told them UPS has us walk to save gas.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Had my first blowj-- I mean, first day in the package car today. Wasn't half bad! Lot of business and bulk, and some bulk pickups. The trainer said he thinks I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

On one hand, I feel like all you old timers are a bunch of whiny baby bitch boys (and girls), because I didn't sweat near as much as I do on the red belt at local sort. It was both me and the trainer doing the work so yeah it'll be tougher later, but still, as far as tonnage is concerned, we didn't move anywhere near as much cargo as I do in local sort.

I fill two or more trailers there, whereas here it was emptying one package car, and refilling it maybe halfway, and over 9 hours, not 5 or 4 and a half.

And :censored2:, I get to sit down and sing Warren Zevon songs to myself half the time on top of it all?

That said, I really don't like the idea of coming home that late, and probably a lot later once peak hits. I'm the type of lazy spoiled millenial snowflake :censored2: that wants to work to live, not live to work. So I understand the complaints from some of you in that department.

Other than that, I'm guessing it will get tougher at some point? Maybe it just becomes a grind after the novelty wears off? Otherwise, seems like easy money, as long as I can lift with my legs and avoid accidents. You tell me. I'd love to be angrily told how wrong and stupid I am. I fap to that. :wink-very:

Just wait until you're driving around with swollen hemorrhoids in late July and the only thing you're thinking is why you never get to deliver packages to your own home but your wife has met at least a dozen other drivers

RuthlessSupSlayer

Had my first blowj-- I mean, first day in the package car today. Wasn't half bad! Lot of business and bulk, and some bulk pickups. The trainer said he thinks I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

On one hand, I feel like all you old timers are a bunch of whiny baby bitch boys (and girls), because I didn't sweat near as much as I do on the red belt at local sort. It was both me and the trainer doing the work so yeah it'll be tougher later, but still, as far as tonnage is concerned, we didn't move anywhere near as much cargo as I do in local sort.

I fill two or more trailers there, whereas here it was emptying one package car, and refilling it maybe halfway, and over 9 hours, not 5 or 4 and a half.

And :censored2:, I get to sit down and sing Warren Zevon songs to myself half the time on top of it all?

That said, I really don't like the idea of coming home that late, and probably a lot later once peak hits. I'm the type of lazy spoiled millenial snowflake :censored2: that wants to work to live, not live to work. So I understand the complaints from some of you in that department.

Other than that, I'm guessing it will get tougher at some point? Maybe it just becomes a grind after the novelty wears off? Otherwise, seems like easy money, as long as I can lift with my legs and avoid accidents. You tell me. I'd love to be angrily told how wrong and stupid I am. I fap to that. :wink-very:
So i am in my 30 as we speak. You are right to some degree however easy street only lasts a week or so. Here are somethings that will happen soon:

1. You will not see addreess numbers after that angry ball in the sky goes away.
2. Crappy load where a 59k will be in your 86k area.
3. Take wrong turns
4. And one more thing...get a real load to the point you cant walk farther than one step in.

Enjoy it while you can...its about to get a lot worse.

Box Ox

4. And one more thing...get a real load to the point you cant walk farther than one step in.

Enjoy it while you can...its about to get a lot worse.

Yeah. New kids can real talk once they’ve gotten a daily dose of having to reload the front and back of the truck just to get the bulkhead and rear doors shut before leaving the building.

clean hairy

Any job is easy the first day when you are a spectator and watch the other person do all the work.
Come back and tell us how easy it is when on day 20 you are still over by 90 min.
THEN, you will be on here asking what tips are there to help you run scratch.
Yet, the old timers you insulted in your first post, (hopefully) will remain silent and you will have to try and figure it out on your own!

GenericUsername

My first day alone was a full mall route that I was training on to split up for season. Had both cars done 2 hours before the pickups started, took lunch, and had an hour to look around and learn the mall better before I started the pickups. Pulled into the center at 5:50 with 35 minutes under.

First non-mall route I ran, I think I was over 2 hours or so because I had no area knowledge? Now, I'm doing 200 stops in 8 hours on the same route.