First Day Driving- Post Yours Too

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Next time you break down, code that time out as "brkdwn rd" in Other Work. Don't waste your lunch on that.

I'm so grateful when management gives me a heads up on the route I'm about to cover next week. Oh wait, that's never happened...
Our trucks break down?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not going to be a problem with this route. My trainer is doing a good job of making sure I know where every stop is so I don't have to look for numbers. A lot to take in, but it will pay off. Plus I'm going to drive around with 3 different manifests this Sunday with my wife (she'll be my helper) and do a few imaginary runs.

Now, I'm sure I'll get put on a new route when it gets dark at 4pm, so yeah, that'll be fun. Hopefully I'll get to practice that one on a weekend too. Mostly I just need to practice my hustle, getting the next 5 stops in my head between dropping off a package and starting the car, plus making sure I know how to organize the back of the car to do pickups efficiently, and of course knowing the best route to take based on what bulk I have that needs to get out of the way, while getting airs done on time.

1. Yeah that'll be fun on a new route, for sure.
2. Hopefully I still have the same loader I do now, he's really consistent for putting things in the same spot or not far off. But if I get a new route AND a :censored2:ty loader, then yeah I'm going to be a sad puppy.
3. I'm planning to practice any route I have on the first weekend after I know which route I'm going to get, to familiarize myself with the area and get a good mental map. Maybe I'm being optimistic there, but... we'll see I guess!
4. Yeah, like I said, my loader is good at putting stuff where it needs to be for an efficient route. Hopefully my luck holds out there.

Hey, fun story time! Yesterday at about 11:00, the hose bringing coolant to the heater inside the truck burst and vomited out coolant. The on/off switch actually busted on either side, so there was just nothing connecting the two bigger hoses.

We managed to drive to one more stop in a business park, and I walked across the road and delivered a couple packages with the hand cart. Being a genius that I am, I went inside and asked a mechanic at the company if I could borrow a small length of pipe to shove in the hose. He said I could just plug it up if all it was was the heater, but I wasn't all that sure, so I just got the pipe. Nice guy though.

So I get back to the car, my trainer tries to shove the pipe in the hose but it won't go in, so he's all just ":censored2: it, just eat your sandwich" so I do. After that though, I check out the thing again, and turns out there was just the remnants of the smaller hose for the on/off switch which were still inside the two bigger hoses, and I dig them out with a flat head. Then, hoo-ray, the pipe fits! I tighten the hose clamps onto the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.

Now the mechanic with the wrecker has come, and he looks at it and says it will work. He starts to replace the coolant that was lost when it spewed out. Now we won't have to wait for a replacement truck! Only a half hour or so lost, and we took that as our break, so really nothing lost at all if we can get our 12 o'clocks all delivered on time!

But wait, there's more! The mechanic, I don't know what his major malfunction is, has poured two 5-quart bottles of coolant INTO THE OIL :censored2:ing hole or whatever, where you're supposed to pour the oil into. Even has a little yellow oil can on the lid so you know. I guess he thought it was for coolant because it was above the radiator? Whatever man.

So now the thing is complete garbage and we have to wait for a replacement car, unload everything and load it back into the other car. Fun times.

The guy who normally does this area, and gets 30 extra stops when drivers are getting trained on it even though he already had an 11 hour day (according to his bitching at a sup anyway), now has to come and take the rest of our airs and then some. Someone give him a cookie.

Long story short, we actually made the rest of our business stops and pickups just fine and got back to the building earlier than the previous two days, but again, that's because the other guy came and took a good portion of our :censored2:.

I'm just ticked off because I would have been the hero who saved the day with that on-the-spot fix, but Mr. "Mechanic" had to go and blow it. Story to tell the grandkids, I guess!
my hero

UnconTROLLed

perfection
a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f0e2b33ed2ef9bbe224263506.jpg

E

el blanco

Oh yeah, we were over by something, I forget what. Nothing too crazy. And yeah I think he did mention it's like a "training route" or something. Although, he did forget a package and have to backtrack, so there's that. I didn't actually drive, other than to the town and back to the center, just ran the DIAD and hoofed stuff. So.

But yeah, like I said, I'm already expecting it will get tougher.

WHAT ELSE YA GOT???

time management is gonna eat you alive

Re-Raise

Not going to be a problem with this route. My trainer is doing a good job of making sure I know where every stop is so I don't have to look for numbers. A lot to take in, but it will pay off. Plus I'm going to drive around with 3 different manifests this Sunday with my wife (she'll be my helper) and do a few imaginary runs.

Now, I'm sure I'll get put on a new route when it gets dark at 4pm, so yeah, that'll be fun. Hopefully I'll get to practice that one on a weekend too. Mostly I just need to practice my hustle, getting the next 5 stops in my head between dropping off a package and starting the car, plus making sure I know how to organize the back of the car to do pickups efficiently, and of course knowing the best route to take based on what bulk I have that needs to get out of the way, while getting airs done on time.

1. Yeah that'll be fun on a new route, for sure.
2. Hopefully I still have the same loader I do now, he's really consistent for putting things in the same spot or not far off. But if I get a new route AND a :censored2:ty loader, then yeah I'm going to be a sad puppy.
3. I'm planning to practice any route I have on the first weekend after I know which route I'm going to get, to familiarize myself with the area and get a good mental map. Maybe I'm being optimistic there, but... we'll see I guess!
4. Yeah, like I said, my loader is good at putting stuff where it needs to be for an efficient route. Hopefully my luck holds out there.

Hey, fun story time! Yesterday at about 11:00, the hose bringing coolant to the heater inside the truck burst and vomited out coolant. The on/off switch actually busted on either side, so there was just nothing connecting the two bigger hoses.

We managed to drive to one more stop in a business park, and I walked across the road and delivered a couple packages with the hand cart. Being a genius that I am, I went inside and asked a mechanic at the company if I could borrow a small length of pipe to shove in the hose. He said I could just plug it up if all it was was the heater, but I wasn't all that sure, so I just got the pipe. Nice guy though.

So I get back to the car, my trainer tries to shove the pipe in the hose but it won't go in, so he's all just ":censored2: it, just eat your sandwich" so I do. After that though, I check out the thing again, and turns out there was just the remnants of the smaller hose for the on/off switch which were still inside the two bigger hoses, and I dig them out with a flat head. Then, hoo-ray, the pipe fits! I tighten the hose clamps onto the pipe, and Bob's your uncle.

Now the mechanic with the wrecker has come, and he looks at it and says it will work. He starts to replace the coolant that was lost when it spewed out. Now we won't have to wait for a replacement truck! Only a half hour or so lost, and we took that as our break, so really nothing lost at all if we can get our 12 o'clocks all delivered on time!

But wait, there's more! The mechanic, I don't know what his major malfunction is, has poured two 5-quart bottles of coolant INTO THE OIL :censored2:ing hole or whatever, where you're supposed to pour the oil into. Even has a little yellow oil can on the lid so you know. I guess he thought it was for coolant because it was above the radiator? Whatever man.

So now the thing is complete garbage and we have to wait for a replacement car, unload everything and load it back into the other car. Fun times.

The guy who normally does this area, and gets 30 extra stops when drivers are getting trained on it even though he already had an 11 hour day (according to his bitching at a sup anyway), now has to come and take the rest of our airs and then some. Someone give him a cookie.

Long story short, we actually made the rest of our business stops and pickups just fine and got back to the building earlier than the previous two days, but again, that's because the other guy came and took a good portion of our :censored2:.

I'm just ticked off because I would have been the hero who saved the day with that on-the-spot fix, but Mr. "Mechanic" had to go and blow it. Story to tell the grandkids, I guess!

IMG_0233.JPG

CoryAndTrevor

It's funny, I've always been a very absent minded, head in the clouds type of person. That's changed a little bit with my previous job, but it's really gonna make or brake me here. Hopefully at least being aware of it as something to look out for will help. I'm definitely prepares for the time management and hustle aspect to kick my ass though.

CoryAndTrevor

Hey guess what everybody! You were all right!

First day driving solo, Wednesday,
was pretty rough. My trainer even had a written list of the order I should do a bunch of the stops in. He was driving with me until about 1, and the bulk stops were finished, I just had to do a bunch of smaller stops and then pickups.

Total disaster. I kept forgetting where I had to go, and where stuff was in the car... just, all the things were terrible. Basically the only thing I didn't :censored2: up on was driving safely and not missing any stops.

I ended up like an hour and a half late on the pickup swing, and a guy missed his doctor's appointment. That made me sad.

So yeah turns out I'm not really suited to the driving. The trainer and manager still wanted me to keep trying, because I probably would've gotten the hang of it after maybe a week or two, but :censored2: it. The hours suck. If I was planning on doing it for the rest of my life then it would be worth the initial investment, but since I'm not, it's not.

Funny too, the next day i applied online to the same company my wife works for, and they got back to me in like 2 hours. So I start with them on the 16th! And I still get to drive, but it's my own car! With music!

I actually went with my wife on Friday on the job. It pays about 60 percent of UPS driver starting pay, but it's about 10 percent, maybe 5 percent as difficult, no kidding.

Long story short, sianara, suckers! Enjoy your 60 hour weeks! :sheepish:

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!

was pretty rough. My trainer even had a written list of the order I should do a bunch of the stops in. He was driving with me until about 1, and the bulk stops were finished, I just had to do a bunch of smaller stops and then pickups.

Total disaster. I kept forgetting where I had to go, and where stuff was in the car... just, all the things were terrible. Basically the only thing I didn't :censored2: up on was driving safely and not missing any stops.

I ended up like an hour and a half late on the pickup swing, and a guy missed his doctor's appointment. That made me sad.

So yeah turns out I'm not really suited to the driving. The trainer and manager still wanted me to keep trying, because I probably would've gotten the hang of it after maybe a week or two, but :censored2: it. The hours suck. If I was planning on doing it for the rest of my life then it would be worth the initial investment, but since I'm not, it's not.

Funny too, the next day i applied online to the same company my wife works for, and they got back to me in like 2 hours. So I start with them on the 16th! And I still get to drive, but it's my own car! With music!

I actually went with my wife on Friday on the job. It pays about 60 percent of UPS driver starting pay, but it's about 10 percent, maybe 5 percent as difficult, no kidding.

Hey Corey and Trevor, knock knock.

Also, smokes. Lets go.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch

So you work for Uber?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Geezuuus. You quit the first day??? Way to represent your fellow millennials. BTW, no trophy for YOU. Lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Like I said, I'm aware that it wasn't just me today. Regardless, again, it's one package car versus multiple trailers, and double the time. Explain how my basic math is wrong.

Oh I agree, I'm sure I'll want to quit multiple times. But they told me at driving class that would happen, so I'm at least somewhat prepared for that.

Anyway, keep it coming ya old geezers. Nighty night time for this special snowflake.

ROTFLMFAO

CoryAndTrevor

Yeah yeah laugh it up. YOU CAN'T FIRE ME I QUIT! Honestly though it's a good job, it should go to someone who wants and needs it enough to be dedicated and put up with the stress. That person is not me.

No, not Uber. It's a retail merchandiser thing. It's an agency that makes sure a company's products are being displayed properly in grocery stores and stuff. You just drive around to different stores and mess with displays and answer questions on a tablet, basically. Cushy gig. Cushy cushy cushy.

Anyway, I do apologize for being a :censored2: and thinking driving a package car seemed easy when I was just watching my trainer. Big props to you all, you make it look easy. But you don't need me to tell you that!

Last edited: