First Day Driving- Post Yours Too

Re-Raise

Does your new job give you free health insurance worth about 20k a year? Does it pay 30k a year into a pension plan for you?

It pays 60% of STARTING driver pay. Do you know that starting pay is not what a full-time driver makes?

Never mind, the free tampons should make up for it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You mean other than the money spent to send him to school and for the 3 days the sup spent on road with him?
We could send him out for 26 more days and have him be hours and hours over. And have a supervisor spend multiple more days with him. Or we can take that same period and invest it in someone who can be successful.

School in the grand scheme of things is small potatoes.

We could send him out for 26 more days and have him be hours and hours over. And have a supervisor spend multiple more days with him. Or we can take that same period and invest it in someone who can be successful.

School in the grand scheme of things is small potatoes.
I agree. School can be helpful but a little time spent on real world training goes a lot further.

GenericUsername

Retail merchandisers will top out around $16 in 8-10 years, if you're lucky. But, I give it a few months until you get tired of that and move on to another useless job. Save everyone the trouble and just get fired now so you can start collecting unemployment and play video games all day.

clean hairy

I wonder if he is just watching a trainer showing what is involved in the job, and when HE has to do the work, he will quit because it is more difficult than what he thought??

Over 70

I consider starting driver pay at UPS to be around my personal minimum wage LOL.

It's cheap living where I'm at too. 60% of driver starting pay without the free benefits/retirement? I made more mowing lawns as a 12 year old 20 years ago. No joke.

Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did, I left UPS and have another teamster job with a local utility. Yeah I'm still here because this site is entertaining.

You missed my point.

Suppose that rather than voluntarily leaving the company you were terminated and were forced to choose between taking a lower paying job or being unable to provide for your family. I have a feeling that what once was your "personal minimum wage" would be adjusted downward.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I consider starting driver pay at UPS to be around my personal minimum wage LOL.

It's cheap living where I'm at too. 60% of driver starting pay without the free benefits/retirement? I made more mowing lawns as a 12 year old 20 years ago. No joke.

Good luck.
If you’re looking at starting pay and not where you’ll end up the thought is very short sided.

Is 18.75 fantastic? Nope. Can someone live on it when you’re doing 40 hours and the OT you’ll certainly get? Yep.

Over 70

If you’re looking at starting pay and not where you’ll end up the thought is very short sided.

Is 18.75 fantastic? Nope. Can someone live on it when you’re doing 40 hours and the OT you’ll certainly get? Yep.

Oh I totally agree. My point was I can't imagine leaving for a job that only pays 60 percent of that with none of the same bennies/raises

Over 70

Voluntarily? No way.

My first day I went out with 75 stops, took me 10 hours and was lost a bit. 2nd day same amount punched out at 1430. By week 2 I was up to 140 stops and 350 pieces in a 700 getting it done.

I guess my point is giving up so soon is ridiculous. You don't even know the job or frankly how easy it gets yet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a newbie who is in to his 2nd week. He has been going out with a greatly reduced dispatch on his training route. He was "praised" at the PCM on Friday for finally delivering all of his NDA on time.

He is struggling but is fortunate in that he will have ample time to get up to speed.

I do agree that the OP gave up much too quickly but, as Frigid said, he just saved the company a ton of money and his mgt team a ton of grief.

Over 70

We have a newbie who is in to his 2nd week. He has been going out with a greatly reduced dispatch on his training route. He was "praised" at the PCM on Friday for finally delivering all of his NDA on time.

He is struggling but is fortunate in that he will have ample time to get up to speed.

I do agree that the OP gave up much too quickly but, as Frigid said, he just saved the company a ton of money and his mgt team a ton of grief.

True, I left right before peak when they were counting on me to run a very rural route in one of the highest snowfall places in the nation. So jag-offs like me lol.