First Day Driving- Post Yours Too

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey guess what everybody! You were all right!

First day driving solo, Wednesday,
was pretty rough. My trainer even had a written list of the order I should do a bunch of the stops in. He was driving with me until about 1, and the bulk stops were finished, I just had to do a bunch of smaller stops and then pickups.

Total disaster. I kept forgetting where I had to go, and where stuff was in the car... just, all the things were terrible. Basically the only thing I didn't :censored2: up on was driving safely and not missing any stops.

I ended up like an hour and a half late on the pickup swing, and a guy missed his doctor's appointment. That made me sad.

So yeah turns out I'm not really suited to the driving. The trainer and manager still wanted me to keep trying, because I probably would've gotten the hang of it after maybe a week or two, but :censored2: it. The hours suck. If I was planning on doing it for the rest of my life then it would be worth the initial investment, but since I'm not, it's not.

Funny too, the next day i applied online to the same company my wife works for, and they got back to me in like 2 hours. So I start with them on the 16th! And I still get to drive, but it's my own car! With music!

I actually went with my wife on Friday on the job. It pays about 60 percent of UPS driver starting pay, but it's about 10 percent, maybe 5 percent as difficult, no kidding.

Long story short, sianara, suckers! Enjoy your 60 hour weeks! :sheepish:

You’d be better off moving back to Canada and try to help Ricky grow weed

CoryAndTrevor

So yeah, it's 11.50 an hour, and around 20 hours a week at my new job. My wife is making 13 an hour, 20 hours a week (they started her higher because she actually ran :censored2: at our previous job together, I was her underling).

Yeah I know, 18.75 is starting pay, after maybe 5 or so years it's what, 35, 40? 70-90k a year top rate? I already knew that going in, but thanks anyway.

So I don't know how many of you saw my other posts on this site, or ACTUALLY READ MY ORIGINAL POST HERE, but like I said, I was never planning to work at UPS more than a year, year and a couple months TOPS. Like I said, wife and I have been planning for almost a year now to start a small farm. Feel free to make your "You couldn't hack UPS you won't hack a farm!" comments! So yeah only the starting pay really counted for me.

I deserve some criticism for not realizing how difficult the job would actually be (and no I wasn't just watching my trainer, he was sorting the package car and I was making the deliveries and working the DIAD, but the significant thing was that he was planning the stops, which is where I ran into trouble).

But beyond that, the decision to quit wasn't just based on "oh :censored2: this is harder than I thought." Believe what you want, though. I'm sorry, but I didn't marry my wife so I could see her for an hour in the evenings and on weekends. She was trying to get me to quit for like a week before my first solo day, honestly. Again, I really respect what you guys do, but for me, I'd rather live in a damn cave if it meant spending more time with family. That's just the type of person I am, different strokes for different folks.

I was pretty vocal about this in the "Should we strike" thread. Somebody there said something along the lines of "I would take a pay cut if it meant a guaranteed 8 hour day." I totally :censored2:ing agree with that, and I wish more of you did. I would probably still be driving if I knew the hours were going to be reasonable.

But with my trainer driving, and organizing the package car while I delivered the stops, which you would think would make :censored2: go a lot faster, I was getting home at like 7:15, 7:30, after leaving around 8:15 in the morning, with a 20 minute commute. That's 11 hours, people, off-peak. I can't imagine it getting any shorter as peak rolled around. Again, respect to you guys for putting up with that. But, ya know... work/life balance... is a thing that exists. So.

It's funny, this site is actually where I got my first clue about the long hours. They didn't mention anything about working a 50 or 60 hour week when I was hired, or in the driver class. It kind of freaked me out seeing you guys talk about it.

And then I started driving. The first thing I heard was the driver who worked the route near mine, and got the extra stops they took off my route because it's a training route, bitching at a supervisor, saying he normally has an 11 hour day and now it's 11 and a half.

Honestly I don't know what he's complaining about. What's another half hour when you're never :censored2:ing home anyway? Sad.

So yeah, if HR had told me there was a decent chance I'd work 11 hour days, off peak, I very likely wouldn't have taken the job back in August. Scratch that, definitely wouldn't have.

Last edited:

CoryAndTrevor

Well bully for you, I guess. But this argument was already pretty much hashed out in the "Should We Strike" thread. I think it depends on where you're located.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow a whole 20 minute commute lol. I drive an hour one way. If I'm home by 7 that's a really good day.

You just gave up a six figure job to make $11 an hour.

Life might be hard for you.

Tiereffinthree

Bullet dodged don't blame ya

Hey guess what everybody! You were all right!

First day driving solo, Wednesday,
was pretty rough. My trainer even had a written list of the order I should do a bunch of the stops in. He was driving with me until about 1, and the bulk stops were finished, I just had to do a bunch of smaller stops and then pickups.

Total disaster. I kept forgetting where I had to go, and where stuff was in the car... just, all the things were terrible. Basically the only thing I didn't :censored2: up on was driving safely and not missing any stops.

I ended up like an hour and a half late on the pickup swing, and a guy missed his doctor's appointment. That made me sad.

So yeah turns out I'm not really suited to the driving. The trainer and manager still wanted me to keep trying, because I probably would've gotten the hang of it after maybe a week or two, but :censored2: it. The hours suck. If I was planning on doing it for the rest of my life then it would be worth the initial investment, but since I'm not, it's not.

Funny too, the next day i applied online to the same company my wife works for, and they got back to me in like 2 hours. So I start with them on the 16th! And I still get to drive, but it's my own car! With music!

I actually went with my wife on Friday on the job. It pays about 60 percent of UPS driver starting pay, but it's about 10 percent, maybe 5 percent as difficult, no kidding.

Long story short, sianara, suckers! Enjoy your 60 hour weeks! :sheepish:

CoryAndTrevor

...or what kind of work ethic you have.....I would say that yours is not worth a :censored2:.....

How much do you think I value your opinion about my work ethic, guy I've never met and never will meet?

And aren't you then also saying the other guy who was bitching about having to work 11 and a half hours also has a :censored2:ty work ethic? The guy who also had to take over another 20 stops when my truck broke down? The truck I fixed and got into working order myself, only to have a mechanic pour water into the oil spout?

No, you don't know what you're :censored2:ing talking about, do you?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
295C9FC3-F319-48A7-8471-2B6A098F1473.gif
How much do you think I value your opinion about my work ethic, guy I've never met and never will meet?

And aren't you then also saying the other guy who was bitching about having to work 11 and a half hours also has a :censored2:ty work ethic? The guy who also had to take over another 20 stops when my truck broke down? The truck I fixed and got into working order myself, only to have a mechanic pour water into the oil spout?

Dr.Brownz

Way back when they sent me out blind with an 11 hour dispatch on my third or fourth day of part time cover driving and I brought back at least 100 packages. Did about 20 stops by 4 o clock!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh, I know full well what I am talking about.

Can't say the same for you.

Tampons are in Aisle 9.

Box Ox

So yeah, it's 11.50 an hour, and around 20 hours a week at my new job. My wife is making 13 an hour, 20 hours a week (they started her higher because she actually ran :censored2: at our previous job together, I was her underling).

Yeah I know, 18.75 is starting pay, after maybe 5 or so years it's what, 35, 40? 70-90k a year top rate? I already knew that going in, but thanks anyway.

So I don't know how many of you saw my other posts on this site, or ACTUALLY READ MY ORIGINAL POST HERE, but like I said, I was never planning to work at UPS more than a year, year and a couple months TOPS. Like I said, wife and I have been planning for almost a year now to start a small farm. Feel free to make your "You couldn't hack UPS you won't hack a farm!" comments! So yeah only the starting pay really counted for me.

I deserve some criticism for not realizing how difficult the job would actually be (and no I wasn't just watching my trainer, he was sorting the package car and I was making the deliveries and working the DIAD, but the significant thing was that he was planning the stops, which is where I ran into trouble).

But beyond that, the decision to quit wasn't just based on "oh :censored2: this is harder than I thought." Believe what you want, though. I'm sorry, but I didn't marry my wife so I could see her for an hour in the evenings and on weekends. She was trying to get me to quit for like a week before my first solo day, honestly. Again, I really respect what you guys do, but for me, I'd rather live in a damn cave if it meant spending more time with family. That's just the type of person I am, different strokes for different folks.

I was pretty vocal about this in the "Should we strike" thread. Somebody there said something along the lines of "I would take a pay cut if it meant a guaranteed 8 hour day." I totally :censored2:ing agree with that, and I wish more of you did. I would probably still be driving if I knew the hours were going to be reasonable.

But with my trainer driving, and organizing the package car while I delivered the stops, which you would think would make :censored2: go a lot faster, I was getting home at like 7:15, 7:30, after leaving around 8:15 in the morning, with a 20 minute commute. That's 11 hours, people, off-peak. I can't imagine it getting any shorter as peak rolled around. Again, respect to you guys for putting up with that. But, ya know... work/life balance... is a thing that exists. So.

It's funny, this site is actually where I got my first clue about the long hours. They didn't mention anything about working a 50 or 60 hour week when I was hired, or in the driver class. It kind of freaked me out seeing you guys talk about it.

And then I started driving. The first thing I heard was the driver who worked the route near mine, and got the extra stops they took off my route because it's a training route, bitching at a supervisor, saying he normally has an 11 hour day and now it's 11 and a half.

Honestly I don't know what he's complaining about. What's another half hour when you're never :censored2:ing home anyway? Sad.

So yeah, if HR had told me there was a decent chance I'd work 11 hour days, off peak, I very likely wouldn't have taken the job back in August. Scratch that, definitely wouldn't have.

zck3eju0ncntbmoamagv.gif