First picture of black hole

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
How do any of you know that's actually an image of a black hole, or even a representation of a bunch of data that is supposed to have been gathered from a black hole? It's most likely you don't, you're just being told it is and you're like "derp, ok! Have some more millions."

What disappoints me is this is not even an image of a black hole. This is just what is most likely sorta looks like.

Wtf 26 million doesn’t even get you the real McCoy.

At least now you got a made up picture of where all you tax money ends up.

BrownArmy

What disappoints me is this is not even an image of a black hole. This is just what is most likely sorta looks like.

Wtf 26 million doesn’t even get you the real McCoy.

Aannnnddd...

You describe, yet again, our failure as a country to properly educate our citizens.

BrownArmy

Two different things: Impressed by science vs. Impressed by representative image.

Your highbrow attitude fails as a cover for your intelligence.

Dude, the 'pic' is the interpolation of eight different telescopes...

We (humans) just imaged something 53 million light years away.

That's the equivalent of you standing on your porch and looking at the dimples on an orange which is on the moon.

Don't put down the 'representative image', that's a masterwork of science, and yes, it's a real picture.

El Correcto

god is dead

That's the equivalent of you standing on your porch and looking at the dimples on an orange which is on the moon.

Don't put down the 'representative image', that's a masterwork of science, and yes, it's a real picture.
I imagine things all the time. I don’t charge 26 million dollars to imagine them.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I imagine things all the time. I don’t charge 26 million dollars to imagine them.
Interpolation is not imagining.

In the mathematical field of numerical analysis, interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points.
It is the basis of Calculus (High School math) and Differential Equations (Sophomore College Math).

calculus.gif

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Interpolation is not imagining.

In the mathematical field of numerical analysis, interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points.
It is the basis of Calculus (High School math) and Differential Equations (Sophomore College Math).

calculus.gif
Too many science words for these forgotten mouth breathers.
I resisted getting into Interpolations based on Fourier Transforms which is how one codes calculus in lower level languages such as Fortran and APL.
I never used this after I went full-time with UPS.
Linear Interpolations all the time however.

newfie

I resisted getting into Interpolations based on Fourier Transforms which is how one codes calculus in lower level languages such as Fortran and APL.

All those fancy words for a blurry blob

It will be fine

I AP’d out of the first year of calc in high school. My 200 level course told us the first day our grade would be the combo of all exams over the semester or our final grade whatever was higher. I walked out, studied a week before the final and got a B+. Last math I studied, I didn’t enjoy much after it got into theoretical stuff beyond practical use.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

No it’s not. The light spectrum is not visible to the human eye, so it was ‘colorized’ so we could.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Two different things: Impressed by science vs. Impressed by representative image.

Your highbrow attitude fails as a cover for your intelligence.

Science scares you, doesn't it? It probably should, since you clearly aren't capable of understanding any of it. Insert head back into sand, which is part of a flat Earth that is only 6,000 years old.