First picture of black hole

i didnt say they stopped paying taxes, im saying if america copied the french system then america could stop paying income taxes.
That is not possible. Americans will always pay taxes. They will never stop collecting the income tax. Beside Americans don’t want your crap.

bbsam

Staff member
Let’s pull science back for a minute to something a little more tangible. Just because we may have very little understanding of exactly what scientists are talking about, doesn’t mean it doesn’t have very real substance. The surgeon who wrote the following article is a dad at our soccer club.

Atrial lead placement at the lower atrial septum: a potential strategy to reduce unnecessary right ventricular pacing

My dad had a pacemaker put in about 3 months ago. All that gobbly goop stuff in the sciencey words paper with graph pictures and stuff actually means something.

It means that surgeons now have a far more precise way of finding the optimal location for electrode placement.

What’s the point? Only that the science used in medicine to interpret waves and wave variance is used in the interpretation of space data.

There’s really no reason to doubt the picture.

Indecisi0n

I have a picture as well

heaven.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This Is the First Picture of a Black Hole

I try to find articles explaining why this is important and I still don’t get it.

If the existence of black holes was a hotly debated thing and this proved they existed I’d be like hmm okay maybe this was justified. But it wasn’t.

From what I understand, and I haven't really been following it that closely, black holes have still only been theoretical until somewhat recently. Einstein's work hinted at the possibility, and Hawking gets a lot of credit for further developing the concept. The existence of black holes has been widely accepted by the general public, because they have been told so by "science guys", and their understanding of the science is limited.

Even in the scientific world their existence has been taken for granted, but it has been understood among those who specialize in studying black holes, that the evidence was still incomplete. Without having read the articles about this image, I would assume that the image, more or less, proves beyond a doubt that they do exist. But, to even be able to argue the point you would probably need an advanced degree in astrophysics, or a level of understanding equivalent to such. The rest of us simply "have" to accept what we are told.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
She was an affirmative action hire?
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if government funded projects have a diversity quota. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the girl who didn’t even really know what a black hole is replaced someone who did, possibly a white man.

I’m not saying she isn’t an intelligent person, but I’m also not discounting there being more intelligent and qualified people she replaced.

oldngray

nowhere special
From what I understand, and I haven't really been following it that closely, black holes have still only been theoretical until somewhat recently. Einstein's work hinted at the possibility, and Hawking gets a lot of credit for further developing the concept. The existence of black holes has been widely accepted by the general public, because they have been told so by "science guys", and their understanding of the science is limited.

Even in the scientific world their existence has been taken for granted, but it has been understood among those who specialize in studying black holes, that the evidence was still incomplete. Without having read the articles about this image, I would assume that the image, more or less, proves beyond a doubt that they do exist. But, to even be able to argue the point you would probably need an advanced degree in astrophysics, or a level of understanding equivalent to such. The rest of us simply "have" to accept what we are told.

It was already confirmed black holes exist. But it was by indirect evidence of their effect on other bodies.

vantexan

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if government funded projects have a diversity quota. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the girl who didn’t even really know what a black hole is replaced someone who did, possibly a white man.

I’m not saying she isn’t an intelligent person, but I’m also not discounting there being more intelligent and qualified people she replaced.
Why are you attacking this young lady? She did something remarkable, and is attacked for it? I doubt seriously she set out to make guys look bad, or any other such nonsense.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It was already confirmed black holes exist. But it was by indirect evidence of their effect on other bodies.

Do you know when? I wrote:

black holes have still only been theoretical until somewhat recently.

The "when" part is all I wasn't sure about, but didn't really matter to the point.
Can you please cite this consensus?

Don't know if there was ever a concesus about the earth being flat, but before the heliocentric model, there was the geocentric model wherein astronomers believed the earth was the center of the universe and the stars and other bodies revolved around it. Some cultures imagined the earth was flat.

Geocentric model - Wikipedia

The point being that a theory can be held as fact, but we have numerous examples throughout history of individuals and small groups challenging the consensus and changing everyone's understanding of the world forever. Some have done so at great personal cost.

El Correcto

god is dead
Why are you attacking this young lady? She did something remarkable, and is attacked for it? I doubt seriously she set out to make guys look bad, or any other such nonsense.
Yeah and so did 200 other people working on this bloated government waste. I’m not advocating that some woman that barely knew what a black hole is and was essentially a grunt running data get a noble prize over the man who spent a chunk of his life studying and developing this project just because he is a 50 year old white man who doesn’t fit the lefts narrative.

It will be fine

Yeah and so did 200 other people working on this bloated government waste. I’m not advocating that some woman that barely knew what a black hole is and was essentially a grunt running data get a noble prize over the man who spent a chunk of his life studying and developing this project just because he is a 50 year old white man who doesn’t fit the lefts narrative.
Such a sad victimhood narrative you live in.

newfie

Science scares you, doesn't it? It probably should, since you clearly aren't capable of understanding any of it. Insert head back into sand, which is part of a flat Earth that is only 6,000 years old.

I don't get you guys . The scientist who created this blob worked on it for four years and triangulated multiple telescopes together to get a picture of something blurry.

but if you point out that its blurry and therefore unimpressive then the liberals here accuse you of being afraid of science.