First Post, Gonna Complain.

whenIgetthere

I used to do a pick up of between 500 on a light night to 1000 on a heavy night at one stop. Most night it was 700 to 800 pieces, all FedEx boxes. The stop could be scanned and loaded in about 40 minutes on a heavy night, 20 to 25 minutes on a lighter night. I was in a W700. You can fit a lot of fedex boxes in a W700. No longer at that station but have heard ground got the account, and now UPS has it.

overflowed

Maybe you should care. The more Ground guys that show up and are so thrilled to be at Express, well here comes Fred's happy courier work force now for the next 20 years!;)
You may be on to something, the ex ground drivers are the worst milkers I've ever seen. Must be pay back from your abuse.

dezguy

Worst milkers? You mean the most efficient workers? I can knock out stops that 30 year employees couldn't even fathom.
It's not that they can't fathom it, it's that they aren't dumb enough to actually do it. More work you do, the more work they expect from you. You're new so I've come to expect it from people like you but you'll learn. Trust me, you'll learn.

STFXG

It's not that they can't fathom it, it's that they aren't dumb enough to actually do it. More work you do, the more work they expect from you. You're new so I've come to expect it from people like you but you'll learn. Trust me, you'll learn.
But I thought ground drivers could never do what express drivers do?

l22

Worst milkers? You mean the most efficient workers? I can knock out stops that 30 year employees couldn't even fathom.

Now that you're at Express, don't worry about efficiency or being a superstar out there. Take your time and don't rush. Drive the speed limit or a little bit under, use CBP, obey the rules of the road, and no running. If you become a superstar, they're just going to expect even more from you. Use the proper methods and obey the rules of the road even if it means having lates. Better to have lates than to have an accident or get injured running or walking too fast. When they question you about it, request a checkride and that they run the route with you sitting in the passenger's seat. If you get injured running or walking fast, if you have an accident, even the tiniest thing (the truck coming into contact with a fixed object), you will get the blame with no one defending you. Do everything by the book. There is more incentive to do everything by the book than there is to not.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Oh trust me, they could still fathom them alright...they just can't fathom ever again giving that sort of effort to an outfit that pulled the rug out from under them the way they did.

Goldilocks

Ahhh, little grasshopper, you soon will be 50+ and let's see how you knock out those stops. Remember, then there will be a little grasshopper saying the same thing about you. Everything circles around.

l22

When I first started I would run my ass off to make sure I didn't have lates. Now, I could care less. I now move at a much slower pace and I'm not as exhausted at the end of each day.

Same here - with when I first started, sad to say. With this job, nothing good can come from running and speeding. Always do your route at a comfortable pace where you don't exert that much energy - exerting your body too much can mess up your driving. And when it's raining/snowing/icy, go at about half of that pace or less just to be safe.

Last edited:

l22

I can knock out stops that 30 year employees couldn't even fathom.

That's nice... I can try to do about half the work you do when you're 'knocking out stops,' if that. It doesn't make a bit of difference at the end of the day. You won't get a promotion or even get a raise for knocking out stops. So why not try to increase your longevity, by doing your best not to get hurt out there?

Consider this quote from Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, a book everyone in this business should read:

"Havermeyer was a lead bombardier who never missed. Yossarian was a lead bombardier who had been demoted because he no longer gave a damn whether he missed or not. He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt, and his only mission each time he went up was to come down alive."

overflowed

No, your trippin man, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I see the ground drivers running their asses off. I'm saying the ones that come to express are saying I'm never doing that again. Ever. Good for them in my book. I can knock out stops like that too, but for who and what?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And you wont get a raise for the next 30 years.

Working hard only gets you one thing... More work.

Another winner. You also get it. As someone else said (I forget if it was Cactus or Route66), "no good deed goes unpunished at FedEx". That would include working hard.

NYCFXG

I just had to say something in this thread. This will also be my first post. There is no money in bulk trucks like that. Nor, is there anyway I believe you were doing 130 stops in a bulk truck. I see you wrote you drove a W700. There is no consistency in your story. For your contractor to make $2500 in profit every week while paying you $600.00 weekly would require his gross settlement to be almost $4k. We get paid poorly for p/u's. What is this "bonus" your contractor gets for picking up more than 75 packages? The only bonus he gets for doing more than 50 is that he gets paid considerably less for each package. Even more so, when you get over 100, 250 and 500.

The margins in this business are terrible if you aren't an inhuman bastard. However, if you can go a solid month without any major maintenance issues, accidents, tickets or service hiccups. You might make a little less than your driver does. I regret the decision I made buying my routes. I got antsy and bought a very high growth area that was being serviced by aged, poorly serviced vehicles and extremely overworked employees.

Since taking over, I have been forced to add trucks the business can't afford. I came in with a war chest, thankfully. I have been forced to put it to use early and often. There is no possible way with my current growth (including the recent walmart spike), my route will ever make enough money in the short term to pay for the trucks I need in the near future. So, I am forced to be a supplemental sucker. Do the work for Ground at a reduced cost to them. All while I am promised that carrot at the end of the stick (PSA). It's amazing, it really is. Name a single business where the the owner fears more work. Hates new customers and fights tooth and nail to shed the ones he has. This system is truly broken.

The FXG Contractor or CSP (or whatever they are calling us this week) has the weakest position of power in the entire terminal. We are beholden to our drivers, hoping beyond hope every morning that they show up to work. We get yelled at by QA, Belt Managers, P&D Managers, Terminal Managers, Security Managers, Service Check-in and Senior Managers. Oh and let's not forget those wonderful customers we get to deal with on a daily basis. I forget, someone remind me who the window is for again? I speak to contractors in other places and they all seem to have it a lot better than I do. New trucks, happy employees and their own office space.

Being in (arguably) the most expensive city in the world, imagine trying to employ a staff of employees at $700 a week? or $400 a week for a helper? Very few can afford a life at those numbers. NO one would work the 60 hours a week for that either. Nor would I want them to. Tickets at $150 a pop. Exorbitant workers comp and liability costs. Only way to make money in this business is get PSAs and sell them to idiots like me.

/rant