Follow ORION 85% or....

DOK

Why is it my responsibility to tell them?

I thought the entire point of ORION was to reduce or eliminate decision making by the driver and put it in the hands of those who are so much better qualified?

If they are so damn smart and if they have all the answers, let them figure it out.

When they demand that we follow ORION they are telling us that we are no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what order the stops should be delivered in. If that is the case, how are we competent or trustworthy enough to help them fix the problems with ORION in the first place?

They cant have it both ways. If they want to put me in a cage its not my job to help them weld up the bars.
I struggled with exactly this as well. I had my Edd fine tuned over the years to how I run the route, Orion seems to follow my Edd pretty much. They can adjust your Orion to follow your Edd tighter if your Edd is good. A lot of guys Edd is all over the place

What will really kick Orion up a notch is when Orion can resequence the stops so your truck is loaded in the Orion order, I hear it's coming.

PT Car Washer

I struggled with exactly this as well. I had my Edd fine tuned over the years to how I run the route, Orion seems to follow my Edd pretty much. They can adjust your Orion to follow your Edd tighter if your Edd is good. A lot of guys Edd is all over the place

What will really kick Orion up a notch is when Orion can resequence the stops so your truck is loaded in the Orion order, I hear it's coming.
That sounds great. But it will be a $10/hr preloader in his first week loading your package car with a PT sup yelling "go faster, go faster". Instant failure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Orion 2.0

BrownArmy

Currently implementing ORION in our center.

Even when we beat the 'plan' by miles, we're being told to hit a % of ORION trace.

Umkay, the entire point is to reduce miles, but even if we reduce miles, we still have to slavishly apply ourselves to an arbitrary metric?

For what purpose?

So management won't get spanked for hitting (again) arbitrary numbers?

Bottom line, I'm being asked to be less efficient and take shortcuts on safety, for no other reason than to hit some numbers on some unicorn spreadsheet.

Got it, kewl.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today was an exceptionally light day and I decided to follow Orion 100% stop for stop just for the heck of it. There were a couple of times that I shook my head at the "solution" but for the most part it made sense.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Currently implementing ORION in our center.

Even when we beat the 'plan' by miles, we're being told to hit a % of ORION trace.

Umkay, the entire point is to reduce miles, but even if we reduce miles, we still have to slavishly apply ourselves to an arbitrary metric?

For what purpose?

So management won't get spanked for hitting (again) arbitrary numbers?

Bottom line, I'm being asked to be less efficient and take shortcuts on safety, for no other reason than to hit some numbers on some unicorn spreadsheet.

Got it, kewl.
Forced stupidity for the sake of generating a compliance metric is the foundation of UPS's business model.

Its what we do.

DOK

Today was an exceptionally light day and I decided to follow Orion 100% stop for stop just for the heck of it. There were a couple of times that I shook my head at the "solution" but for the most part it made sense.
I found this out also, that the lighter it is and also the less stops I have from other routes, that I can run near 100%. Once the dispatch gets around 10 hours, not so much.

MynameisNeigan

Only follow Orion if it makes sense. Orion is only a tool, not a replacement for your brain. Make your airs on time and businesses before 1700 regardless of how Orion says to run the route. You can get warning letters or get terminated for late airs or missed businesses. Not for doing your job. If they want you to follow Orion 100% get a shop steward and get this in writing. Let your sup take the heat for late or missed packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I found this out also, that the lighter it is and also the less stops I have from other routes, that I can run near 100%. Once the dispatch gets around 10 hours, not so much.

I ended up with 113 stops and 219 packages-----my norms are 130 and 350. I followed Orion stop for stop and still had time to not only run off 2 bad addresses but also for an extended lunch.

I don't imagine that will be the case today.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only follow Orion if it makes sense. Orion is only a tool, not a replacement for your brain. Make your airs on time and businesses before 1700 regardless of how Orion says to run the route. You can get warning letters or get terminated for late airs or missed businesses. Not for doing your job. If they want you to follow Orion 100% get a shop steward and get this in writing. Let your sup take the heat for late or missed packages.

The don't want to run it 100% hence the 85% threshold.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I don't imagine that will be the case today.
image.jpg

Box Ox

Sounds suspicious. Like one of the cubicle nerds got on the phone with an actual driver and asked for input. Cold day in hell material. I've been delivering out of my rear $ections fir$t just fine, thank you.

32F driver

All depends on the center mgr. Drivers in our center followed it stop for stop, & had to bring stops back to the building to beat the 14 hour deadline. They were told never to do that, (follow orion), again. I've never followed it & the center mgr knows it. He doesn't say a word to me about it, either. I cannot drive past a stop because orion says to go elsewhere.

Ms.PacMan

What do you all do about businesses that close early (posted business hours)?

I have several businesses that close at noon on Fridays. Orion has me there 1-2 hrs later so I break off.

The first few weeks on Orion I would just arrive late and sheet them as closed but if I showed up at a store at 9, when it opens at 10, I couldn't sheet it as closed. I feel as though we should make service on businesses that close early just like businesses that open late.

wayfair

swollen member
I have businesses that take lunch at 12-1.... I will break off to get them off by 12... it's either that or they'll be missed according to orion..