Forced 1 hr lunch

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Ok I guess you like working for free as well. Think about it if you were paid to punch out on lunch between 4th and 6th everyone would do it at the same time. There wouldn’t guys taking lunch whenever it’d all be done at the same time they’d have to think twice about overdispatching you with stops and pickups.
If I’m on lunch I’m not working. In my region it’s an hour lunch. I would have preferred a half hour but it’s not my call..Years ago when there was less scrutiny, we could take lunch whenever, now not so much. Either way, it’s contractual, it’s the law, and it’s a needed break. You may not think so now since you’re full of piss and vinegar, but you will sooner or later.

UnionStrong

You mean the 69 boyz????
0EFA1E91-80CD-4C9C-A132-E698F7DCE738.gif

Backdoordeals69

If I’m on lunch I’m not working. In my region it’s an hour lunch. I would have preferred a half hour but it’s not my call..Years ago when there was less scrutiny, we could take lunch whenever, now not so much. Either way, it’s contractual, it’s the law, and it’s a needed break. You may not think so now since you’re full of piss and vinegar, but you will sooner or later.
Correct you aren’t working but you are still at work. That is still an hour of your time everyday for no gain.

Whither

Scofflaw
As others have said, lunch not only gives us a needed rest period but, taken per contractual language, it grants us some leverage over dispatch. They can't plan an additional 30 min to 1 hour of business deliveries and pickups. If they do, you put the ball in their court early. "Overdispatched and will need business or pickup help to prevent service failures." It was a more powerful tool when we had 1500 commits. Several of us in my center have had showdowns with mgmt when they've effectively instructed us to take lunch after pickups. And guess what? They always backed down and sent help.

That said: it is a shame that lunch is unpaid, and for those who are required to take 1 hour it would be nice to have the option of taking 30 minutes. However, here in the Central we have 30 min unpaid + 10 paid, and on long days it would also be nice to have the contractual option to take another break.

Backdoordeals69

If you don’t like it, there’s other places to go
work. You can’t win this argument, it’s like pissing up a rope. There’s no choice.
Hey man after you work 35 years here and you receive a letter in the mail from your supplement that pays your pension telling you they can only pay 50% of what you put in because of misappropriated funds your gonna look back at all those years of unpaid breaks and say damn I’m glad I took my lunch.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It is funny that you are considered a runner if you don’t enjoy taking your lunch on here. You guys are ate up. After a month of sitting in your truck for an hour that is an entire day the company and the union has taken away from you. Do the math how much that could be in your pocket.
Enjoy or not, we do not work off the clock so take your lunch.

You want leadership to negotiate paid lunch? Good by me. Idiot runner-gunners would still violate the contract. Can't fix stupid.

Backdoordeals69

Enjoy or not, we do not work off the clock so take your lunch.

You want leadership to negotiate paid lunch? Good by me. Idiot runner-gunners would still violate the contract. Can't fix stupid.
I think if there was more of an incentive for doing it I think they would take it. UPS is making more money now than they ever have. They can’t even give us a turkey around the holidays anymore 🍗.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
These runner-gunners not taking lunch? How are they coding the time off? Are they willingly falsifying records?

UnionStrong

If you have your pension in full why do you even care about lunches?
Because no one should work off the clock. If the company wants you to do more, then they should give you a paid lunch. I got a few paid lunches over the years, they hate doing it too. Just like guys that come in early too sort their trucks off the clock. Who are the helping? The company.
I get that you want to get home early, many feel the same way, but it is what it is. Some things are just part of the job.