Forced 1 hr lunch

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
It's funny coming back and rereading this whole thread over a year later. Things have changed but I still stand by my and soberups comments on this thread.

Over a year later and my center has now started to enforce the hour lunch with discipline. In years past it was only a flavor of the month thing, and I would only comply with the hour request for as long as they cared about it. Then it was back to just taking a 30 minute lunch until next year same time.

We're in the middle of a global pandemic, stop counts are at or even over peak season levels, and they are sending us out with 12-14 hour dispatches daily. And yet still they are forcing this hour lunch on us. IMO it's the clearest sign that they don't give a damn about our families or our time. I mean I know the company only cares about money but this action makes it crystal clear to me.

I've heard that it's the union who is forcing this hour lunch thing. That they 'fought' for an hour for us. My question is, did we collectively ask for that? I know I didn't. Was there some vote that I missed out on? Because as I said before, I am not interested in spending any more unpaid time at work. That is 30 minutes I could be home doing whatever I want.

As long as we have different locals, I know the rules will be different. As for my state, CA requires a 30 minute meal period for every 8 hour shift. I am fine with that and so was UPS and my local union up until earlier this year. I'd just like some real transparency so I can understand exactly what brought about this change. I suspect it's a money thing but I doubt I'll ever get the real answer.

Est.1998

It's funny coming back and rereading this whole thread over a year later. Things have changed but I still stand by my and soberups comments on this thread.

Over a year later and my center has now started to enforce the hour lunch with discipline. In years past it was only a flavor of the month thing, and I would only comply with the hour request for as long as they cared about it. Then it was back to just taking a 30 minute lunch until next year same time.

We're in the middle of a global pandemic, stop counts are at or even over peak season levels, and they are sending us out with 12-14 hour dispatches daily. And yet still they are forcing this hour lunch on us. IMO it's the clearest sign that they don't give a damn about our families or our time. I mean I know the company only cares about money but this action makes it crystal clear to me.

I've heard that it's the union who is forcing this hour lunch thing. That they 'fought' for an hour for us. My question is, did we collectively ask for that? I know I didn't. Was there some vote that I missed out on? Because as I said before, I am not interested in spending any more unpaid time at work. That is 30 minutes I could be home doing whatever I want.

As long as we have different locals, I know the rules will be different. As for my state, CA requires a 30 minute meal period for every 8 hour shift. I am fine with that and so was UPS and my local union up until earlier this year. I'd just like some real transparency so I can understand exactly what brought about this change. I suspect it's a money thing but I doubt I'll ever get the real answer.
You bring up some great points BUT think about what it is you've said.
12-14 hours of what we do with only a 30 minute lunch?!
Without a supe present, I know you get your rest time in on the clock, but if you were being observed with a suit in the jumper you wouldn't be able to get away with that.
That's when you'll gripe about a lunch/break.
If the company said: "ok, we won't force lunches", you'll still stroll in the house after 8pm.
That leaves you with just enough time to shower, eat, sleep, and repeat it again the next day.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
You bring up some great points BUT think about what it is you've said.
12-14 hours of what we do with only a 30 minute lunch?!
Without a supe present, I know you get your rest time in on the clock, but if you were being observed with a suit in the jumper you wouldn't be able to get away with that.
That's when you'll gripe about a lunch/break.
If the company said: "ok, we won't force lunches", you'll still stroll in the house after 8pm.
That leaves you with just enough time to shower, eat, sleep, and repeat it again the next day.

Per our contract we are entitled to a second 30 minute meal period after working 10 hours. And even besides that, it's not like we only have a 30 minute meal period and that's the only rest we get. Just speaking for our local, we get two 15 minute paid breaks. Plus another 10 minute paid break after working over 10 hours. Those breaks plus a 30 minute lunch is an hour and ten minutes of rest time. Which is plenty of rest time even for a 12 hour shift IMO. And if it isn't then you have the option to take your second meal period if you want.

With what they're doing with the forced hour lunch, we now have an hour and forty minutes of down time. I'd rather have an hour and ten minutes and spend 30 more minutes at home. Getting home at 8pm is late like you said but I'd still rather than 8:30.

With the ridiculous stop counts they've been sending us out with plus the hour lunch some guys have thrown it back in the face of the company at the expense of the customer. They take the hour lunch, all the breaks, and then take a second 30 minute meal. Then bring back a ton of stops. Reminds me of 2013 peak. Minus the forced hour lunches.

Est.1998

Per our contract we are entitled to a second 30 minute meal period after working 10 hours. And even besides that, it's not like we only have a 30 minute meal period and that's the only rest we get. Just speaking for our local, we get two 15 minute paid breaks. Plus another 10 minute paid break after working over 10 hours. Those breaks plus a 30 minute lunch is an hour and ten minutes of rest time. Which is plenty of rest time even for a 12 hour shift IMO. And if it isn't then you have the option to take your second meal period if you want.

With what they're doing with the forced hour lunch, we now have an hour and forty minutes of down time. I'd rather have an hour and ten minutes and spend 30 more minutes at home. Getting home at 8pm is late like you said but I'd still rather than 8:30.

With the ridiculous stop counts they've been sending us out with plus the hour lunch some guys have thrown it back in the face of the company at the expense of the customer. They take the hour lunch, all the breaks, and then take a second 30 minute meal. Then bring back a ton of stops. Reminds me of 2013 peak. Minus the forced hour lunches.
We only get one 10 min break and an hour lunch. Pretty soon the RTDs come back. Hopefully that'll help relieve the pressure.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Contracts are negotiated by elected officials, and the contract they negotiated passed, so yes, it was collectively voted on, even if you voted no. That's the nature of a union. If you want a contract that is tailored to your needs, you would have to find a company willing to negotiate with you directly or an agent of your choice. Just be prepared to pay a much higher percentage of your negotiated rates for that level of representation.

Poop Head

Judge me.

This isnt a 9-5 job. Dont go into work thinking youll be done at a certain time. Ever. Go in prepared to work 13.5 everyday. Enjoy your hour lunch. Alot of us only get a half hour.

Poop Head

Judge me.

Jeez you got some good language. Start taking, and ENJOY your time! We only get 50 mins of total "rest" time. No extra time, after x amount of hours. We will never get more, cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
This isnt a 9-5 job. Dont go into work thinking youll be done at a certain time. Ever. Go in prepared to work 13.5 everyday. Enjoy your hour lunch. Alot of us only get a half hour.

Not sure where you got the impression that I thought this was 9-5 job. I'm fine with the long hours, what I'm not fine with is being forced to take an hour lunch. You said "a lot of us only get a half hour". Well if you had read my previous posts that's all the time I want for lunch also, 30 minutes. In years past when we had the OPTION of taking an hour or half hour I took half an hour for 7 years straight.

And if I went in every day with the idea that I was gonna work 13.5 hours then I'd have to have a serious chat with the dispatcher. On the flip side, that would mean Fridays would be great! Well, not now with this 70 hr rule in place. Even now with the insane residential volume I'm still averaging between 11-12 hours a day. 13.5 everyday would be terrible......like 2013 peak. Worst peak ever.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Only a runner doesn't want to take his full hour meal.

Are you trying to say that because I'd rather have a 30 minute lunch than an hour lunch that I'm a runner? Sounds like a rather gross generalization. And a laughable one also, since you have no clue of the pace I work at.