Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

yep all working as its a regular day.. get your 8hrs holiday pay.. plus your regular pay... also they are saying we are going to be working Sunday Dec 21st.....

O

OLDMAN3

yep all working as its a regular day.. get your 8hrs holiday pay.. plus your regular pay... also they are saying we are going to be working Sunday Dec 21st.....
Not going to happen to this guy. I will not work Sunday, period. No call no show, or call in for me. Last year they scheduled all drivers around here for Christmas day until corporate made the call to shut it down on Christmas

O

OLDMAN3

How long do we need to be off for the 60 hour rule to reset...I thought it was 34 hours? If you clock out at 10 PM Friday, I guess they could try to work you 8 AM or later Sunday. What a pile of ----! How many would actually show up?

Last edited by a moderator:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Not going to happen to this guy. I will not work Sunday, period. No call no show, or call in for me. Last year they scheduled all drivers around here for Christmas day until corporate made the call to shut it down on Christmas
that's what I am trying to say. they are not going to stop until we have no more holidays. first the turkey, then the safe driving gift catalog. now a holiday, then more and more until nothing is left. ya , highly paid slaves. what a consolation.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
glad I'm retired
Why don't you rub it in Everyone's face next time. This company is pushing to work the Saturday December 27 then it will be every Saturday, then here comes Sunday, then lets work some of the holidays too. Put me a cot in the locker room and throw in a shower stall and TV.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Peak from now on is going to be a work in progress.
They are going to try things and get creative and we will always be hostages to what day Christmas falls on that December.
With internet shopping increasing every year, only a full blown Amazon delivery service will keep UPS from working us on weekends by the end of the contract.
There will be (or should be) specific language in our next contract dealing with peak issues.

Personally, I would go kicking and screaming working on Sunday. Not because I'm religious, because it's NFL Redzone Sunday

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This horse was "beat to death" in another thread.

-Bug-

This horse has been beat to death in another thread and this one as well.
What "Big Union" people and those who are "in the game" can't explain is how the opening sentence is relevant in Article 15 sec 1 of the CRT?
Why is it even there?
"no regular seniority employee shall be required the below named holidays"
If section 4 of the same article supposedly provides for employees being required to work a named holiday, in what context does the opening line of the article come into play?
How are these 2 sections not completely contradicting of one another?
The only plausible explanation is in conjunction with Art 40 of the Master, which is exactly how it has played out since the inception of this language and the only way it is "otherwise provided for".
It's only now, in the wake of a newly imposed contract, that the company and union forgot or realized they didn't have the foresight to address this issue and are trying to once again trick us into believing we don't understand what we read.
How many times are we going to fall for the "banana in the tailpipe"?

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Why don't you rub it in Everyone's face next time. This company is pushing to work the Saturday December 27 then it will be every Saturday, then here comes Sunday, then lets work some of the holidays too. Put me a cot in the locker room and throw in a shower stall and TV.

I worked for non union companies for 20 years before UPS. this is exactly what non union companies do. in those 20 years I never had a paid vacation, a paid sick day or a paid holiday. sure you could call in sick at your peril or maybe you had christmas off without pay.

I have just seen a gradual erosion of our contract over the last several years without hardly a fight from the membership. of course the company is going to keep pushing as long as there is no resistance.

a wise man once said "Freedom is not free." the same can be said for everything we gained by fighting and even shedding blood over in the last 100 years.

it has to be a daily fight. but without that , everything will just go away.