Forcing the Unions to fight fascism.

meritocracy

No, you drama queen, I'm saying there's no reason for the teamsters to virtue signal on social media by delving into hot button cultural issues that don't have anything to do with union activity.
Looks like 95% of the posts are about our locals' struggles and victories. The 5% seems to be about economics and working conditions which are pretty relevant to union activity. I think the real issue here is that you're not a union member and you don't work for UPS.

The Driver

I drive.
No, you drama queen, I'm saying there's no reason for the teamsters to virtue signal on social media by delving into hot button cultural issues that don't have anything to do with union activity.
Doing the opposite of what they're doing would be supporting the GOP which is happy to satisfy corporate lobbyists by making sure corporations and the wealthy are taken care of first. They have no interest in the common worker.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I think a good chunk of drivers exercising their Beck rights to have union dues going to political activity refunded would be a big wake up call.

Nothing gets peoples attention like having to give back money they already spent

I'm talking about the % of my dues used for political activity. I deserve a refund since I am not being represented in that area of interest.

It's illegal to use dues for direct contributions to candidates.

I'm guessing neither of you have read the LM-2's for your Local.... to see what dues money is actually spent on.

meritocracy

I'm guessing neither of you have read the LM-2's for your Local.... to see what dues money is actually spent on.
My local shows us at our meetings. You just have to go to one meeting to see where our dues go. One meeting.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Looks like 95% of the posts are about our locals' struggles and victories. The 5% seems to be about economics and working conditions which are pretty relevant to union activity. I think the real issue here is that you're not a union member and you don't work for UPS.
I think the issue here is that you're a delusional Bernie Sanders supporter.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Doing the opposite of what they're doing would be supporting the GOP which is happy to satisfy corporate lobbyists by making sure corporations and the wealthy are taken care of first. They have no interest in the common worker.
That has nothing to do with the post you responded to. For the second time.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

Is it illegal to use it to push agendas at least 1/2 the membership disagrees with? Who pays the salary of the person in charge of social media?
Genuine question.

meritocracy

Is it illegal to use it to push agendas at least 1/2 the membership disagrees with? Who pays the salary of the person in charge of social media?
Genuine question.
LMRDA just requires that the union reports the percentage of the time the employee spends on different categories of work, including political work. It's not illegal. Also, the "social media person" mostly posts about the happenings of our locals.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Genuine question.

Cool.

Is it illegal to use it to push agendas at least 1/2 the membership disagrees with?

Nope.

Article 1 section 2 of the IBT constitution.

And, your Locals bylaws.... spell out the purpose of the Union.

It's for the betterment of the Union as a whole, and not defined by personal objectives.

Who pays the salary of the person in charge of social media?

Ask your Local.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
A contingent of a few hundred exercising their Beck rights isn't going to change anything. It's just going to reduce the total amount of money we have. And most of that money is used for the stuff we like. Bargaining, representation, operations, etc. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter because the union isn't forcing you to get vaccinated or to wear masks and would absolutely defend you in any case where an employer tried to do that to you. Pick a different enemy!
You need to pay attention to how much money goes to politicians. You'll be shocked...

freehoodies

I mean if you want to be an annoying scab you can use the rights afforded to you by CWA v. Beck and "right to work" legislation if you're in one of the states that has it. But it's going to make you an annoying scab so is it really worth the hundred bucks or whatever you get out of it after all the phone calls and emails?

It does not make you a scab.

Letting the union take money from you to spend on shilling for democrats makes you an unwilling participant in this :censored2:.

If the union isnt spending that much on political :censored2: then it shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

“Here billybob, a check for 5$. What we spent on those flyers we mail you every election cycle on who to vote for. Happy?”

Now if that was the case id say :censored2: it thats basically nothing and not worth the time to fill out a form

freehoodies

Far-left ideology? I bet you probably like the "far-left" stuff the union pushes. Better pay, better health care, better retirement, better working conditions, the ability to spend time with our families, and a say in what goes on in our workplace. The political endorsements every 4 years don't really matter. But if you're so hung up on them the reason unions endorse Democrats is because Dem politicians' voting records are consistently less anti-union than Republicans. It's not a "we love Nancy Pelosi" thing. Our union and many others routinely endorsed Republicans into the 1970s and 1980s before Republicans went totally anti-union.

Better pay? When Dems raise the tax rate on the 1%, which drivers fall under by the way, any pay raise you got disappears back into the slush fund.

Gas is more than 2$ a gallon higher than it was last year. They havent even put their carbon tax in yet.

I won’t blame dems for the massive money printing and inflation thats devaluing everyones savings. Well, at least not completely. Republicans are all on board with that too.

Shutting down all the restaurants so we cant eat or use a restroom on our breaks, having to wear a useless, sweat and dirt soaked mask to buy groceries

If the pushback wasnt so strong they would definitely force us all to get injected with some experimental crap for a hyped up flu too.

There isn’t a single thing democrats have made better for us. Ill go further and add neither have republicans. The best argument is that its protection money so UPS and Teamsters dont get targeted by the many federal agencies when dems get in power.