Founders Day. Something's up besides doughnuts

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
$30.00 and hour barely pays the bills.

Economics 101 If your expenses exceed your income you must either lower your expenses or increase your income.

You should thank the union for the industry leading health and welfare package.

No argument here.

$30/hr is not a lot of money. However, it is very nice compensation for driving a truck.

$30/hr for a job that only requires a HS diploma is a lot of money in my book. We call them package cars.

BTW, you never did answer my question--should wages be based upon where you live?

Why would you thank the union for the benefits, but not the wages? They are both negotiated by the union, but paid for by the company.

A HS diploma is not a requirement. It's a $30 per hour truck driving job that doesn't even require a HS diploma, experience driving a truck or a CDL. I'm not sure who should be thanked, but I don't think this level of compensation can be obtained anywhere else with virtually no qualifications.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
30 an hour is good ,, and dont forget the benefits,,especially medical,, anyways stop hijacking threads people

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's dang good money here in the sticks of WI but there are also people in factories and paper mills making as much or more. Surprisingly only in the union shops. Just can't seem to get companies to pay well of their own free will.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
It's dang good money here in the sticks of WI but there are also people in factories and paper mills making as much or more. Surprisingly only in the union shops. Just can't seem to get companies to pay well of their own free will.

Since we got a piece of a plane on Founders day, do they get a piece of paper?

I think the founders day materials are a piece of something much bigger this year (not a giant doughnut).

helenofcalifornia

So Iowa, $30 an hour is a good wage in Iowa, right? You got left overs after pay day? Cuz on both coasts, it really doesn't cover any extras. Maybe I will retire in Iowa. I like soybeans.

Why would you thank the union for the benefits, but not the wages? They are both negotiated by the union, but paid for by the company.

A HS diploma is not a requirement. It's a $30 per hour truck driving job that doesn't even require a HS diploma, experience driving a truck or a CDL. I'm not sure who should be thanked, but I don't think this level of compensation can be obtained anywhere else with virtually no qualifications.

That's where you are wrong and all management drones are wrong. You act as if we just show up randomly one day to the customer counter inquiring if you are hiring or not. Why don't you take into account the sheer amount of time the MAJORITY of friend/T drivers struggled through the P/T ranks making nothing for years on end? Why don't you stop using the $30/hr figure nonstop because everyone here knows that there is a progression period with hourly rates. Quit peddling management propaganda -- everyone on this board knows driving jobs aren't just handed out like toilet paper. The vast majority of friend/T drivers that have seniority have every qualification you need to hold the position they have and it's a slap in the face for you to suggest otherwise.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
That's where you are wrong and all management drones are wrong. You act as if we just show up randomly one day to the customer counter inquiring if you are hiring or not. Why don't you take into account the sheer amount of time the MAJORITY of friend/T drivers struggled through the P/T ranks making nothing for years on end? Why don't you stop using the $30/hr figure nonstop because everyone here knows that there is a progression period with hourly rates. Quit peddling management propaganda -- everyone on this board knows driving jobs aren't just handed out like toilet paper. The vast majority of friend/T drivers that have seniority have every qualification you need to hold the position they have and it's a slap in the face for you to suggest otherwise.

I'm not suggesting that drivers are not qualified to be drivers and I wasn't attempting to offend anyone. They are qualified to be drivers and the work very hard.

My point is that it doesn't take much in the way of formal qualifications like education, training, certifications, etc. Once you get the shot, a person that has never driven a truck or delivered a package can learn to do the job in less than 30 days with virtually no training and less education than HS diploma.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Would you keep the base where it is now and add to it based on location or would your keep the base as the max and deduct based on location?

Sorry Dave,
That is too much detail to a hypothetical question that I have no power to influence ... maybe someone else would like to delve into this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry Dave,
That is too much detail to a hypothetical question that I have no power to influence ... maybe someone else would like to delve into this.

I was referring to FT drivers wage, which is $30/hr. Would you keep it at $30 and then add for those in areas with higher cost of living or would you set $30/hr as the max and then deduct for folks like me who live in the sticks?

JustTired

free at last.......
I'm not suggesting that drivers are not qualified to be drivers and I wasn't attempting to offend anyone. They are qualified to be drivers and the work very hard.

My point is that it doesn't take much in the way of formal qualifications like education, training, certifications, etc. Once you get the shot, a person that has never driven a truck or delivered a package can learn to do the job in less than 30 days with virtually no training and less education than HS diploma.

While that is true....I would argue that it takes several years to master the job. Until you have several years under your belt, I don't think you have a complete understanding of how to operate at peak efficiency and still survive over the long haul.

Heck, I was learning things in my last year on the job that had never come up before. And I'm not talking about EDD or the other things added. It was always my contention that a person should have at least 5 yrs driving before even being considered for management.

Bottom line..........true, it's not rocket science........but there are some (from no HS diploma to college degree) that can't cut it.

If you stop learning.....it usually means you're dead.

iowa boy

So Iowa, $30 an hour is a good wage in Iowa, right? You got left overs after pay day? Cuz on both coasts, it really doesn't cover any extras. Maybe I will retire in Iowa. I like soybeans.

That 30 an hour is a damn good wage for 90% of Iowa. The 10% where its not so good is in the bigger cities like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City, etc. Its still a good wage in the cities, but doen't go quite as far. If you truly live in the sticks out on an acreage somewhere, you can live very comfortably on your retirement and Social Security.

tfinnegan

happy exupser
The job is so easy "Even a Caveman could do it"....drive a truck (Package car), pick up a box, read the label, hand to customer, get back into truck untill everything is gone......Now just get it done in 9.0 hrs and repeat it about 150 times a day.......But We will give you the truck and the clothes and we will put the boxes in the truck for you, you just take them out.........HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Lets also realize that it takes a certain breed of people to do this job day in & day out. A lot of people in this world could'nt handle the physical demands and the stress this job entails,never mind the lack of family llife!! Many people have told me they wouldn't ,or couldn't do it for & 50 an hour,"" I couldn't do your job"" I was told many of times!!!Just think back to when we all started & how many ''newbies'' were with you!! :Look around your center,how many are left now??? There is one guy I started with 22 yrs ago and myself left from that day !!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The wage is relative to your situation. Sure it costs more to live in California or New York City. Should the wage be adjusted depending how many kids you have? 30 and hour is great for a single guy but tight when you have 3 kids in college.