Friday nite drunk chat

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

​Vacate, retire or terminate......................... I'm glad we don't have yearly bids.

Yearly/annual bids don't make a lot of sense--no sooner do you get a driver trained on their new area it is time to bid and you may have to do it all over again. We bid every two years and have very few changes. We used to have more when we still had "retirement runs" but those are no longer.

I can see the value of lifetime bids but prefer bidding every two years.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yearly/annual bids don't make a lot of sense--no sooner do you get a driver trained on their new area it is time to bid and you may have to do it all over again. We bid every two years and have very few changes. We used to have more when we still had "retirement runs" but those are no longer.

I can see the value of lifetime bids but prefer bidding every two years.
LOL I actually didn't mean yearly specifically. I was being lazy and didn't feel like typing any more than I had to. Ya ya ya, I know :surprised: Maybe in larger centers it wouldn't make that much difference. I know around here, most of the drivers wouldn't give up their rtes for nothing. We have some drivers that have been on their rtes for years, 1 I know for sure has been on her rte for 13/14 years. Most of the drivers have known their customers for years. I think it makes a difference during Christmas. I would hate to have to bid every year or every other year. Maybe that's because I'm so low on the seniority list but also because I want to stay in one area and get to know my customers.

I was in our bank the other day, and the UPS driver came in with me. He delivered and picked up and on his way out he made sure to acknowledge the tellers and say thank you and appreciate your business. I was ................ impressed. They called him by name and he called them by name. That's the kind of rapport I want with my customers and I don't see gaining that by rebidding rtes every year or two.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't see bids ruining that. Pas/EDD does. I pray you never get it, Dilli. It changes everything. Ruins everything. Customers here never know who they will see from day to day. It is annoying, to say the least. Those are the customers who are on the edge of a loop. Then, there are the customers who are moved to another truck because the first truck is one stop over the needed count. Then, the customers who are in an area of a route that regularly gets cut. I can go on and on. PAS/EDD is not making customers/drivers/managers happy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't see bids ruining that. Pas/EDD does. I pray you never get it, Dilli. It changes everything. Ruins everything. Customers here never know who they will see from day to day. It is annoying, to say the least. Those are the customers who are on the edge of a loop. Then, there are the customers who are moved to another truck because the first truck is one stop over the needed count. Then, the customers who are in an area of a route that regularly gets cut. I can go on and on. PAS/EDD is not making customers/drivers/managers happy.
What? PAS/EDD? We have it. Have had it for 2 years now. I like the system itself but I couldn't agree more on the customer service side of it. And from a drivers stand point. I keep telling my OR if he'd leave things alone the drivers would be happier, the customers would be happier. It sucks not knowing day to day what add/cuts are going to be on my truck and it's different everyday.

over9five

Staff member
The biggest problem I see with a yearly bid is that if it is a problem route, the driver won't fix it. He'll suffer his year and bid off.
Two year (or longer, like life), you'll fix that route one way or another.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What? PAS/EDD? We have it. Have had it for 2 years now. I like the system itself but I couldn't agree more on the customer service side of it. And from a drivers stand point. I keep telling my OR if he'd leave things alone the drivers would be happier, the customers would be happier. It sucks not knowing day to day what add/cuts are going to be on my truck and it's different everyday.
It must just be my building. They call it the "Black Hole" for a reason, ya know!!!