Future looking bad for Pt'ers?

steward71

The reconcillation bill pushes back the implementation of the Tax of Cadillac health care plans from 2013 to 2018 and raises the thresholds from plans eligible for taxation from 8,500 to 10,200 for individuals and from 23,000 and to 27,500 for families. If the plans pay for such as generic drugs, counseling, organ transplants and mental health and too many others to list then believe me you have a cadillac. Case in point The AFL-CIO, the IBEW and CWA and Teamsters have remianed silent on their role in supporting the very legislation that is now being used agaisnt the workers they nominally represent. Case in point in Aug of 2011 Verizon workers were told by the company they would need to change the plans designs to aviod the impact of the cost. They conpany did asked the works to share in the cost of any where from 1500 to 3000 dollors a year. If you think you will not and can fall into this mess as workers for UPS and you want to keep your head in the sand then by all means please do so. For those who say you are not worried our master contract is up next summer of 2013, I would be worried. You are you going to understand this is a effort for unions and companies to say we are sorry we bent you over and you did not know it. This law is not going to save you money but take more from you. It is going to cost you more not the company or Teamsters. They both will rake in the benfits of this bill not you, just a reduction in money you take home and less benfits. Good luck with the money part you will have less of it. Oh by the way guess what is in the bill, well if you don't have insurance you will be fined by law for not having it. That is why the IRS is such a big part of the bill as well, shhh I did not tell you this but if you don't pay the fine for not having health care then they will take part if not all of your tax refund. So just think of it like this if you have kids and you have lets say 2. I think the fine is 650 person who is in the household who is not covered then times that by 4= to 2600 yer year. Sh** it is that math again. Well anyway i could be wrong but I don't think so.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If that's the case, at least its 2018 & not 2013. That being said, nobody knows what the economic climate will be in 2018 anyway. I'm not going to fret about something 6 years down the road.
I sure am glad not everyone thinks this way. You sound like the type of person that 5 years before retirement goes oh $@!# maybe I should of saved some money or is powerball your retirement plan.

nystripe96

I never said I wouldn't fight for every single penny, and do everything possible to secure my well being and quality of life. I just can't worry every single day about an unknown future. If the new law is approved in 2018, than so be it. I'll be pissed off sure, but I won't let it ruin my life.

steward71

I never said I wouldn't fight for every single penny, and do everything possible to secure my well being and quality of life. I just can't worry every single day about an unknown future. If the new law is approved in 2018, than so be it. I'll be pissed off sure, but I won't let it ruin my life.

God you are so out of touch, the law has been approved. This part of the health care bill was to take effect in 2013 but is was pushed back to 2018. The unions did fight a little for against this but not much, they have been very closed lip since the reconcillation. Sh** what did I say about head in the sand. Not making fun of you but Wake up.

steward71

The Commissioner of the IRS Doug Shulman in 2010 that he has reviewed the law. He says as it stands right now the agency's options for enforcing the individual mandate is limited. He says the law is not clear how they will enforce it, but the only clear way is to reduce peoples refunds or take the whole refund itself. The Treasury Dept. says it will have to be the ISR because that Dept hands are tie. The Obama office say they can not enforce it. Don't you people see we had to pass it before we who could see what was in it. Thank God for Nancy P. I just could not think with out her in my life. Now excuse me I need to ask Nancy P. from Cal. if I could go PP. New flash Nancy P daughter did give us all hope 2 weeks ago when she stated her mother wanted to leave office to spend more time with her grandkids but could not at this very time of need her country still needs her in this hour of darkness. Nancy P wants to make sure she is getting every cent she can from you before she leaves office and lets not forget the Harry R.

nystripe96

You're painting a dire picture. That's the problem though. It's never as bad as projected, so I can't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. I just can't. Leery yes, worried no

steward71

no I'm not painting a dire picture on this it is the law and it is now and it is the fact of what is to come. it would take you all of 15 min to find the facts yourself. good luck with the idea of not to worry now but later and guess what you will pay later.

brown_trousers

The "future" has been bad for part-timers for a long time. Until the day part timers really unite, attend Union meetings, make their demands known and VOTE nothing will change. Any one can come on the Brown Cafe and piss and moan about how they are treated but don't expect things to change just because PT Joe Smuck cries on an intenet site. After the next contract is ratified is too late to cry about how the part-timers were treated. The old "squeeky wheel" train of though does work.

True, but it really shouldnt come down to which side (PT vs FT) will get the most out of negotiations. Both sides should get equal representation. And it really doesnt matter if PTers dont show up to meetings because its just common dumb sense what all PTers want to see, more $, higher wages.

It has sadly come to a point where it would make more sense for PTers to be represented by a different union than FTers, or at least different locals, so that PT contract negotiations are done seperate from FT negotiations. It shouldnt have to be a fight between who gets more out of a new contract (PT vs FT). Because its quite obvious how much FT wages have skyrocketed over the last 20 yrs while leaving PT wages not even able to keep up with inflation.

nystripe96

Yes indeed. PT's should get the recognition we deserve for the simple fact that without the PT's the FT's wouldn't be able to do their jobs.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Never liked the benefits. Wish there was an option out of it. They always say we get them for working here, pretty much free, as PTers. But I always look at the stub and see I'm paying for them anyways. The money back, not worth losing them. And they are there for some type of emergency. It would be nice to have the option not to have them and get a greater sum each week.

I feel kind've snobish to say that, being that many Americans across the country cant afford coverage to being with. I do say working here makes one feel quite spoiled at times.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Never liked the benefits. Wish there was an option out of it. They always say we get them for working here, pretty much free, as PTers. But I always look at the stub and see I'm paying for them anyways. The money back, not worth losing them. And they are there for some type of emergency. It would be nice to have the option not to have them and get a greater sum each week.

I feel kind've snobish to say that, being that many Americans across the country cant afford coverage to being with. I do say working here makes one feel quite spoiled at times.
A chemo session can be $10,000 a shot and all of a sudden you need 16 of them in one year. That doesn't include any hospital surgery or doctor visits. Will the extra money you get cover something like that?????? I don't think so. So don't feel snobby, just be thankful that you have coverage just in case.
And that scenario I gave is true and can happen to your 20 year old wife or daughter....not just old people.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'd agree with you, but damn this place is dangerous lol. Working safe is harder than just working

No doubt, I acutally fell today in one of my cars. I fell right on my right wrist, couldnt imagen how much it wouldve been if I broke it without this coverage.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
A chemo session can be $10,000 a shot and all of a sudden you need 16 of them in one year. That doesn't include any hospital surgery or doctor visits. Will the extra money you get cover something like that?????? I don't think so. So don't feel snobby, just be thankful that you have coverage just in case.
And that scenario I gave is true and can happen to your 20 year old wife or daughter....not just old people.

Oh I know all about chemo. My gf had a month supply of the pill type chemo. It was 10,000 just that months worth. I'm thankful that I'm not married to her... that may seem rather harsh. But she got the cover from the state. If I was married to her, I would've had to front everything. Under UPS plan, it wouldve cost 10$ a visit, pills and so on. Yet, I dont know if UPS wouldve covered that chemo, or radiation and so forth. It would've added up so quickly.

Marrige is a curse sometimes. Life deals you a bad hand at times.