Get your ice before you clock in

JL 0513

I assume old buildings get grandfathered. My center is about 40 years old. Amount of employees is probably triple the original use case. We used to have a working water fountain, hasn't worked in years. There is no kitchen sink/area.

I've worked in our neighboring center of about the same age, same story - even worse though. It's about a 50-60 driver center and has just one urinal and one stall.

These buildings are so tight that they'd have to put on additions to add anything. Problem is there's already such a lack of land that there's not enough parking.

herbigharo32

It only takes a minute to get ice, really....For me, it depends on what is the shortest walk. Sometimes, the clock is before the ice machine and others the clock is after the ice machine. Does not matter either way because we get paid beginning at our scheduled start times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It only takes a minute to get ice, really....For me, it depends on what is the shortest walk. Sometimes, the clock is before the ice machine and others the clock is after the ice machine. Does not matter either way because we get paid beginning at our scheduled start times.
.....and it only takes a minute to go upstairs and take a leak after the PCM or to grab a jug of washer fluid after the PCM or to chat with the mechanic after the PCM or to go back one last time to see how badly they hosed you after the PCM or to flirt with the OMS or BS with the PT sup after the PCM....

Scheduled start time is the time that you are supposed to start work, not the time that you gather everything that you will need for your day or, in the case of inside workers, until your first break. For the drivers, you are allowed to go to your PCs to put your lunch and supplies in the cargo area and to put your DIAD in to the cradle, although most will bring their DIAD to the PCM so that they can download EDD. Provided your cars are closed out, you should be on road within 5 minutes of the PCM ending, including doing a thorough pretrip.

There are many ways to make up the "free time" on road.

Last edited:

Brownsocks

Just a dog
.....and it only takes a minute to go upstairs and take a leak after the PCM or to grab a jug of washer fluid after the PCM or to chat with the mechanic after the PCM or to go back one last time to see how badly they hosed you after the PCM or to flirt with the OMS or BS with the PT sup after the PCM....

Scheduled start time is the time that you are supposed to start work, not the time that you gather everything that you will need for your day or, in the case of inside workers, until your first break. For the drivers, you are allowed to go to your PCs to put your lunch and supplies in the cargo area and to put your DIAD in to the cradle, although most will bring their DIAD to the PCM so that they can download EDD. Provided your cars are closed out, you should be on road within 5 minutes of the PCM ending, including doing a thorough pretrip.

Sounds like you left alot of money on the table during your years at UPS. I don't do UPS work on my time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate is a company man through and through. Shameless
Yeah, it really sucks to be proud to work for a company that takes care of their employees. Yes, we work hard, but I dare you to name another company that is going to pay their employees $40/hr, with an additional $40/hr in H&W benefits, for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license. And now you get to look like the crew from Duck Dynasty while being overpaid to perform that work.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
There is more to life than money.

"Taking a leak" or "flirting with the OMS" are both "UPS work"?
I take a leak when I feel the urge and I am not required to code it out, or do it off the clock, and I don't flirt. I was talking about all that other :censored2: you posted that is definitely stuff you do on the clock.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I take a leak when I feel the urge and I am not required to code it out, or do it off the clock, and I don't flirt. I was talking about all that other :censored2: you posted that is definitely stuff you do on the clock.
Yeah, it really sucks to be proud to work for a company that takes care of their employees. Yes, we work hard, but I dare you to name another company that is going to pay their employees $40/hr, with an additional $40/hr in H&W benefits, for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license. And now you get to look like the crew from Duck Dynasty while being overpaid to perform that work.
All this is irrelevant to working off the clock.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
All that is irrelevant to working off the clock.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.

…Meanwhile on the railroad… We just spent the first five hours waiting for a van to our train.

You show me how you get “on road within 5 minutes” out the top floor of 43rd St or Manhattan South

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

…Meanwhile on the railroad… We just spent the first five hours waiting for a van to our train.

You show me how you get “on road within 5 minutes” out the top floor of 43rd St or Manhattan South
I was on bus trips to the Intrepid and Brooklyn this past month. I cannot imagine having to work under those conditions. My experience is more Mayberry than Manhattan. Our building was on a rarely used two lane road and there was no problem getting in and out of the parking lot after doing our pretrips.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 27

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I was on bus trips to the Intrepid and Brooklyn this past month. I cannot imagine having to work under those conditions. My experience is more Mayberry than Manhattan. Our building was on a rarely used two lane road and there was no problem getting in and out of the parking lot after doing our pretrips.
Okay but the thorough pre-trip is longer than 5 minutes in 90% of manager/instructor demonstrations/videos.

Hell this feeder one ran out of breath damn near keeled over

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are many ways to "gain" time on road. For example, if you have a drop box and you get there early, rather than scanning the barcode and the packages before the posted pickup time and then closing out the box at that time, you can sit there and wait until the posted time to start the process. Boom! 5 minutes gained. You can also run off all of your NDAs without touching any ground and then go back and start your route all over. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. You can sit and wait for the light rather than turn right on red. Boom! 2-3 minutes gained. You can offer to wait (within reason) while one of your major pickups processes a last minute order. Boom! 5-10 minutes gained. Run off all misloads adjacent to your area----get permission for those not in an adjacent area. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. Offer to help other drivers by either taking work off of them or closing out a bulk pickup for them. Boom! 30-60 minutes gained. There are many other ways to "legally" gain time but, as I said earlier, there is more to life than money. You guys already miss school functions, ball games and birthday parties----is an extran $10-20K really worth it?

Be careful if you are intent on recouping any "free time" that you may have "lost" in the building. DO NOT require a signature (unless the shipper does) at each and every stop----CIR and DR were implemented for a reason and refusing to follow those methods could be considered padding stops. DO NOT "forget" a single stop in a tight residential section that will require you to spend an additional 5-10 minutes to back to deliver.