Get your ice before you clock in

Thebrownblob

There are many ways to "gain" time on road. For example, if you have a drop box and you get there early, rather than scanning the barcode and the packages before the posted pickup time and then closing out the box at that time, you can sit there and wait until the posted time to start the process. Boom! 5 minutes gained. You can also run off all of your NDAs without touching any ground and then go back and start your route all over. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. You can sit and wait for the light rather than turn right on red. Boom! 2-3 minutes gained. You can offer to wait (within reason) while one of your major pickups processes a last minute order. Boom! 5-10 minutes gained. Run off all misloads adjacent to your area----get permission for those not in an adjacent area. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. Offer to help other drivers by either taking work off of them or closing out a bulk pickup for them. Boom! 30-60 minutes gained. There are many other ways to "legally" gain time but, as I said earlier, there is more to life than money. You guys already miss school functions, ball games and birthday parties----is an extran $10-20K really worth it?

Be careful if you are intent on recouping any "free time" that you may have "lost" in the building. DO NOT require a signature (unless the shipper does) at each and every stop----CIR and DR were implemented for a reason and refusing to follow those methods could be considered padding stops. DO NOT "forget" a single stop in a tight residential section that will require you to spend an additional 5-10 minutes to back to deliver.
There are many ways to "gain" time on road. For example, if you have a drop box and you get there early, rather than scanning the barcode and the packages before the posted pickup time and then closing out the box at that time, you can sit there and wait until the posted time to start the process. Boom! 5 minutes gained. You can also run off all of your NDAs without touching any ground and then go back and start your route all over. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. You can sit and wait for the light rather than turn right on red. Boom! 2-3 minutes gained. You can offer to wait (within reason) while one of your major pickups processes a last minute order. Boom! 5-10 minutes gained. Run off all misloads adjacent to your area----get permission for those not in an adjacent area. Boom! 20-30 minutes gained. Offer to help other drivers by either taking work off of them or closing out a bulk pickup for them. Boom! 30-60 minutes gained. There are many other ways to "legally" gain time but, as I said earlier, there is more to life than money. You guys already miss school functions, ball games and birthday parties----is an extran $10-20K really worth it?

Be careful if you are intent on recouping any "free time" that you may have "lost" in the building. DO NOT require a signature (unless the shipper does) at each and every stop----CIR and DR were implemented for a reason and refusing to follow those methods could be considered padding stops. DO NOT "forget" a single stop in a tight residential section that will require you to spend an additional 5-10 minutes to back to deliver.
1658490790739.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To expand on the "take a leak on the clock" scenario, if you take advantage of a public restroom while delivering to an office building there is no problem-----if you stop at a convenience store just to take a leak you are stealing time. Over time your bladder will learn when there is a public restroom at one of your office buildings and will remind you that you need to stop. This is similar to the issue about when lunch begins----is it when you complete your last stop and are driving to your lunch stop or is it when you safely secure the PC, with the DIAD locked in the cargo area, and make your way in to the lunch stop. Does it start after you take a leak and wash your hands or is that part of your lunch? How far off of your route are you allowed to drive to find a suitable place to clean up and eat? Is 1 mile each way far enough (yes)? Driving 5 miles to your "favorite" stop then taking an additional 5 minutes to take a leak and clean up and THEN starting your lunch is textbook stealing time. Lunch starts when the PC is secured, DIAD locked in back and you are making your way inside.

Thebrownblob

To expand on the "take a leak on the clock" scenario, if you take advantage of a public restroom while delivering to an office building there is no problem-----if you stop at a convenience store just to take a leak you are stealing time. Over time your bladder will learn when there is a public restroom at one of your office buildings and will remind you that you need to stop. This is similar to the issue about when lunch begins----is it when you complete your last stop and are driving to your lunch stop or is it when you safely secure the PC, with the DIAD locked in the cargo area, and make your way in to the lunch stop. Does it start after you take a leak and wash your hands or is that part of your lunch? How far off of your route are you allowed to drive to find a suitable place to clean up and eat? Is 1 mile each way far enough (yes)? Driving 5 miles to your "favorite" stop then taking an additional 5 minutes to take a leak and clean up and THEN starting your lunch is textbook stealing time. Lunch starts when the PC is secured, DIAD locked in back and you are making your way inside.
To expand on how ignorant your reply is 90% of what you said is over exaggerated or an outright untruth.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I assume old buildings get grandfathered. My center is about 40 years old. Amount of employees is probably triple the original use case. We used to have a working water fountain, hasn't worked in years. There is no kitchen sink/area.

I've worked in our neighboring center of about the same age, same story - even worse though. It's about a 50-60 driver center and has just one urinal and one stall.

These buildings are so tight that they'd have to put on additions to add anything. Problem is there's already such a lack of land that there's not enough parking.
Better not bigger

Johney

I was on bus trips to the Intrepid and Brooklyn this past month. I cannot imagine having to work under those conditions. My experience is more Mayberry than Manhattan. Our building was on a rarely used two lane road and there was no problem getting in and out of the parking lot after doing our pretrips.
The "BOG" I believe?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And you have every right to do so.

Clean, sanitary conditions, with hot and cold running water....
...can normally be found within a much more reasonable driving distance...5 miles each way is 15-20 minutes (total) plus the 5 minutes that I am sure would be taken on the clock to take a leak and wash your hands and that is 25-30 minutes of on road time not spent working...you are correct in the drivers have the right to find a suitable place to clean up and eat....you are wrong when you state that they can drive 5 miles or more, driving past suitable locations, just because they like the chili at their favorite spot...