Get your ice before you clock in

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You sure that’s a good idea??
Yes, because he might know if it’s supposed to be paid time or not. Obviously, I have no idea. I DO know that FedEx lost a lawsuit on us working off the clock in the morning while gathering any supplies to do our job. After that, they were required by the court to pay us five minutes before our official start time, company wide.

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Don't know that name, but is ice worth the battle? I know tough guys here would flip off the sup, then smash his face with their Yeti, but isn't it easier to come in a few minutes earlier?
Its easier if you are a sheep, give an inch they will take a mile. That's like letting some dude eat all the crab leggs at the buffet and not knuckling up with them, very disappointed in you Wally

JL 0513

To expand on the "take a leak on the clock" scenario, if you take advantage of a public restroom while delivering to an office building there is no problem-----if you stop at a convenience store just to take a leak you are stealing time. Over time your bladder will learn when there is a public restroom at one of your office buildings and will remind you that you need to stop. This is similar to the issue about when lunch begins----is it when you complete your last stop and are driving to your lunch stop or is it when you safely secure the PC, with the DIAD locked in the cargo area, and make your way in to the lunch stop. Does it start after you take a leak and wash your hands or is that part of your lunch? How far off of your route are you allowed to drive to find a suitable place to clean up and eat? Is 1 mile each way far enough (yes)? Driving 5 miles to your "favorite" stop then taking an additional 5 minutes to take a leak and clean up and THEN starting your lunch is textbook stealing time. Lunch starts when the PC is secured, DIAD locked in back and you are making your way inside.
It is absolutely not stealing time to stop anywhere along your route to take a piss. In many circumstances, you can combine a stop with using their restroom. This doesn't mean you can only do that. You're basically saying that the company expects you to piss in a bottle or uncomfortably hold it until a restroom pops up.

Gotta Go

3276CB1C-4B2D-416B-8DDB-AA9119EE05B2.jpeg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is absolutely not stealing time to stop anywhere along your route to take a piss. In many circumstances, you can combine a stop with using their restroom. This doesn't mean you can only do that. You're basically saying that the company expects you to piss in a bottle or uncomfortably hold it until a restroom pops up.
No one is telling anyone to piss in to a bottle------30 years on road and I never once did that, although there are many trees that may have my DNA on them. :) The best practice is to take advantage of a public restroom at a delivery stop.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Anyone else heard this from their supes? Had them tell me that for the 2nd time yesterday. Today I walked in, clocked in and walked right past the sup to the ice machine.
I agree that if you obtain your own ice to keep your water supply cool, it is paid for time.

Before not “working as directed” I would definitely want to know my Shop Steward’s position on this.

When I was Steward it was my position that this is “paid for time”. My current steward holds the same position.

In my experience UPS management is “stealing time” when they ask an employee to work off the clock.

UPS did make 12.9 billion net income last year.

Integrity

Binge Poster
EVERYTHING is done on the clock. They used to tell feeder drivers to load up their tractors with their gear before clocking in and most idiots did.

I would ask the drivers so what happens if you got hurt loading your tractor up before punching in?
Agreed.
I would ignore the supe and waited until I clocked in. Over allowed 90% of time on the SW time but didnt care about their damn numbers anyways.
I’d want to know Shop Steward’s position before not “working as directed.”

Good post!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Stealing time since ice is not a necessity.
It is my position that this is not stealing time and also that ice is a necessity.

UPS local management seem to love to get UPS employees to “steal time” from themselves in this and similar ways.

I don’t get it.

mcsketcher

You're basically saying that the company expects you to piss in a bottle or uncomfortably hold it until a restroom pops up.
I was told exactly this. I was also not ever told about our 10 min paid break until a random mentor told me. And in fact, my sup made it seem like I wasn’t even supposed to take any breaks. He literally said that while training on car.

Starting to see lots of lies and manipulation already, and I’ve only been working a month.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was told exactly this. I was also not ever told about our 10 min paid break until a random mentor told me. And in fact, my sup made it seem like I wasn’t even supposed to take any breaks. He literally said that while training on car.

Starting to see lots of lies and manipulation already, and I’ve only been working a month.
Time to take a quick leak or hit a water fountain are supposed to be built into the allowances but it just ends up adding to your over allow. If you care about that.

El Correcto

god is dead
You are supposed to report to work with enough time to gather everything that you will need for the day before the PCM, which would include call tags, supplies, DIAD and, yes, ice.
A19A9334-D498-4B2A-A074-A3845C89ED32.jpeg

It’s weird that it doesn’t say arrive to work early and work off the clock…
I’ve heard this from management but never received in warning letter for not working off the clock.

Anyone else heard this from their supes? Had them tell me that for the 2nd time yesterday. Today I walked in, clocked in and walked right past the sup to the ice machine.
Respectfully decline and if he insists suggest he find a steward if he wants to issue a verbal warning for it. He will probably decline and move on to the next guy to try this non sense with.

mcsketcher

Time to take a quick leak or hit a water fountain are supposed to be built into the allowances but it just ends up adding to your over allow. If you care about that.
Right now there doesn’t seem to be any over allowed. I found if I stop caring and give my sup a whatever attitude things change.

As soon as I found out I had a 10 minute paid break I started taking it. And I stopped working my whole day and then taking my lunch. Bam. No more “pep talks”/harassment. Sent out light 2 days in a row and then helped some other guys out and did some pickups. So either I’m fired or I’m in. IDK