Grills!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
My grill is finally ready to be put out to the curb I think. I've loved it. 4 burners plus 2 sear burners, plus a burner on the right ledge for a pot or something. The ignitors have been slowly going (can be replaced I suppose), but the parts around the burners are also due to be replaced and the regulator just finally went (plenty of gas but no gas getting to the burners).
Is that a charbroil brand? Mine looked exactly like this one. One of the valves broke last year.
Turned it on to warm up grills & when I checked on it, the flames were shooting straight out the front of the grill. Talk about dangerous!
Ended up replacing the grill instead of rebuilding it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Much easier to put it by the curb and see how long it takes before someone picks it up.
Yeah we used to have fun with that in our household. I used to have a house on a more major road, but moved to a cul de sac. At the old house, we'd just put stuff outside with a free sign and it would usually be gone in 15-45 minutes, no matter what it was. At the new place there is like 1 car per hour that goes by so when we put something outside we have to put it on craigslist. I'm still amazed that no matter what I put on craigslist for free, it gets picked up usually in less than an hour.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Is that a charbroil brand? Mine looked exactly like this one. One of the valves broke last year.
Turned it on to warm up grills & when I checked on it, the flames were shooting straight out the front of the grill. Talk about dangerous!
Ended up replacing the grill instead of rebuilding it.
Brinkmann. They're the poor man's Weber. Wife bought it as wedding present 8 years ago for like $400, so it lasted a while for being outdoors 365 days a year with heavy use. Squirrels ate through my grill cover 3 years ago and I was either too cheap or lazy to buy a new one. Grill never rusted or anything (stainless) but certainly didn't help being out in the rain.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Brinkmann. They're the poor man's Weber. Wife bought it as wedding present 8 years ago for like $400, so it lasted a while for being outdoors 365 days a year with heavy use. Squirrels ate through my grill cover 3 years ago and I was either too cheap or lazy to buy a new one. Grill never rusted or anything (stainless) but certainly didn't help being out in the rain.
That's about how long my charbroil lasted. Replaced it with a low end Weber, about $400.

upsgrunt

I've scored a lot of cool freebies on my route in the past, but I got maybe the best thing I've ever gotten a few weeks ago. A bank had a Traeger pellet grill they used 4 times and were pissed cause it kept blowing fuses. They wanted it gone, and asked if I wanted it. Well of course!!!
Several calls later, and free parts from Traeger, and I have a third grill to my collection.
This is the big one, with the front folding table, and the nice cover. It looks brand new, and meat comes off it juicy, tasting great, and looking almost too beautiful to eat- like out of a magazine.
I bet the bank paid almost $1500 for it, and I have about $4 and an hour on the phone in it.
I love this thing!

barnyard

KTM rider
Saturday I cooked for the local hardware store. They were hosting a Big Green Egg event.

DSCN0440-M.jpg

I cooked on 6 of those. Cooked 140 lbs of pork butt.

Spoke to the Big Green Egg rep for a bit and it sounds like these events are somewhat common. All the eggs were for sale, the large sold for $800 with the nest and plate setter. Pretty good deal for someone that might be looking for one.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Saturday I cooked for the local hardware store. They were hosting a Big Green Egg event.

DSCN0440-M.jpg

Spoke to the Big Green Egg rep for a bit and it sounds like these events are somewhat common. All the eggs were for sale, the large sold for $800 with the nest and plate setter. Pretty good deal for someone that might be looking for one.

That is a killer price for a large BGE.

How many did you buy?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I've scored a lot of cool freebies on my route in the past, but I got maybe the best thing I've ever gotten a few weeks ago. A bank had a Traeger pellet grill they used 4 times and were :censored2: cause it kept blowing fuses. They wanted it gone, and asked if I wanted it. Well of course!!!
Several calls later, and free parts from Traeger, and I have a third grill to my collection.
This is the big one, with the front folding table, and the nice cover. It looks brand new, and meat comes off it juicy, tasting great, and looking almost too beautiful to eat- like out of a magazine.
I bet the bank paid almost $1500 for it, and I have about $4 and an hour on the phone in it.
I love this thing!
image.jpg

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

DSCN0440-M.jpg

How exactly were you chosen to cook? Were you hired as a chef? Do you work for lowes ? Work for BGE company ?

barnyard

KTM rider
How exactly were you chosen to cook? Were you hired as a chef? Do you work for lowes ? Work for BGE company ?

The local hardware store that sponsored the event asked me. It was the 4th or 5th event that I have cooked for them.

This was also, easily the most that I had cooked at one time. Because there was so much, I just did a salt and pepper rub, then added a vinegar dip to the pulled pork. It turned out pretty good.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The local hardware store that sponsored the event asked me. It was the 4th or 5th event that I have cooked for them.

This was also, easily the most that I had cooked at one time. Because there was so much, I just did a salt and pepper rub, then added a vinegar dip to the pulled pork. It turned out pretty good.
Nice. Congrats on that. 140lbs of pork butt all at once is quite an achievement Hope you had people to help you pull it. Lol. Did you let it rest???? How many people did it feed. Did you get to take home the leftovers. Lol.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had 3 people pulling and putting that into aluminum pans for 3 other people to give out for samples. There were 800 VIP tickets sold, they got a rib sample and pulled pork and another 1000 or so go just a pulled pork sample.

Opps, forgot, Dr BBQ, the Big Green Egg guy was there cooking pork chops and cutting them up too. I think he cooked up 80 chops.

Another cook filled an XL egg and a large egg with ribs and the other cook had 3 eggs with pork in also.

There was supposed to be sauce in squeeze bottles for people to try, but I am pretty sure the vinegar dip was the only thing that made it on.

3 of the eggs had been presold before the event and 6 more were sold the day of. I would expect the last 3 to be sold by the end of the week. There was also an XL that was presold too.

The beauty part of cooking with other people is finding things that work well. 1 of the other guys had a set of bear claws and a Thermopop probe. I ordered both on Sunday. The claws were priceless for pulling the meat off the smokers and tossing them in pans to rest. At one point, we had 8 or 10 resting and some of them were cool enough to shread without burning our fingers, otherwise the bear claws were the way to go.

There were no leftovers.

We ran out of everything 1 hour before the event ended.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We had 3 people pulling and putting that into aluminum pans for 3 other people to give out for samples. There were 800 VIP tickets sold, they got a rib sample and pulled pork and another 1000 or so go just a pulled pork sample.

Opps, forgot, Dr BBQ, the Big Green Egg guy was there cooking pork chops and cutting them up too. I think he cooked up 80 chops.

Another cook filled an XL egg and a large egg with ribs and the other cook had 3 eggs with pork in also.

There was supposed to be sauce in squeeze bottles for people to try, but I am pretty sure the vinegar dip was the only thing that made it on.

3 of the eggs had been presold before the event and 6 more were sold the day of. I would expect the last 3 to be sold by the end of the week. There was also an XL that was presold too.

The beauty part of cooking with other people is finding things that work well. 1 of the other guys had a set of bear claws and a Thermopop probe. I ordered both on Sunday. The claws were priceless for pulling the meat off the smokers and tossing them in pans to rest. At one point, we had 8 or 10 resting and some of them were cool enough to shread without burning our fingers, otherwise the bear claws were the way to go.
Awsome experience !!!!! Jealous!!!! Been thinking about getting the bear claws!

barnyard

KTM rider
For in store events, I do ribs and brisket. Ribs because everyone likes them, briskets because they are stupid easy to do on an egg and for people that like brisket, it sells eggs.

For eating events, I generally do pork butts for pulled pork sandwiches. I always do a vinegar dip because it is really, really, really rare to see outside of NC/SC and most people really like it.

For parties I do briskets because everyone likes them and few can do them well.

for this event, we glazed half the ribs with raspberry/jalapeno jelly. They were really tasty and very different from the BBQ that a person would get from a BBQ joint. Plus it is easy, so a person knows they can buy an egg and make pretty much the same stuff they just sampled.

I had glazed a couple of the butts and was hoping to try them, but in the frenzy of shredding with a line of people waiting to get their sample, they got shredded and handed out before I realized it. Evidently the other 2 cooks knew which ones they were and tried them and said they were really good. Kind of bummed me out that they did not point them out when we were shredding.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That must have been expensive. I was looking at some Jenn air stoves to replace the one I have in the kitchen, and from what I understand they are all downdraft stoves, and very expensive. So it's either replace it with another downdraft stove, or redo all the duct work for an overhead.

Does anyone know if those oven hoods with built in filters work that well? As far as keeping smoke out?
We have Jenn-aire stovetop with the downdraft ... really high quality but you pay for it.
It's something we use (OK, she does) everyday.
A grill I use maybe twice a year so I use a small Weber that I sit on top of my big grill which I have not used in 4 or 5 years.

Weber.jpg