Ground/HD overlap meeting tomorrow

bacha29

Overlap 4 years away. Cash out while you can. There will be a lot of panic as with ISP transition, value will go up. Until people that actually overlap realize that FedEx assumes a 15-20% savings on overlapped CSAs. (Which to a certain degree is true) But! Package size is up(both HD and Ground), productivity is down. Revenue down. Management cost up(6 day). And as a cherry on top: Single System in spring 2018. So try to deliver those high density, overlapped routes with no maps/tbt or any technology that has been on the market for over 20 years. Back to pen and paper boys.
I am normally a positive contractor, but damn this was the most depressing meeting in awhile. No tech improvements. We are still decades behind every other package delivery company out there. Even smaller guys like Scoobeez or similar are miles ahead on tech.
I think you right . Your PSA's may never be worth more than they are right now .

It will be fine

Overlap 4 years away. Cash out while you can. There will be a lot of panic as with ISP transition, value will go up. Until people that actually overlap realize that FedEx assumes a 15-20% savings on overlapped CSAs. (Which to a certain degree is true) But! Package size is up(both HD and Ground), productivity is down. Revenue down. Management cost up(6 day). And as a cherry on top: Single System in spring 2018. So try to deliver those high density, overlapped routes with no maps/tbt or any technology that has been on the market for over 20 years. Back to pen and paper boys.
I am normally a positive contractor, but damn this was the most depressing meeting in awhile. No tech improvements. We are still decades behind every other package delivery company out there. Even smaller guys like Scoobeez or similar are miles ahead on tech.
Single system is fine. You can get a sequenced manifest and download it in a Garmin if you really need turn by turns. You're better off just training drivers to map out the route. A good map can beat the sequence. That said, I followed the sequence mostly today and ran 130 stops in under 6 hours P&D time.
Depending on your area you might not need much management on Saturdays. I don't bother going in or sending a manager in on Saturday unless we have a new hire. HD doesn't need much oversight.

12yearsaslave

Single system is fine. You can get a sequenced manifest and download it in a Garmin if you really need turn by turns. You're better off just training drivers to map out the route. A good map can beat the sequence. That said, I followed the sequence mostly today and ran 130 stops in under 6 hours P&D time.
Depending on your area you might not need much management on Saturdays. I don't bother going in or sending a manager in on Saturday unless we have a new hire. HD doesn't need much oversight.
How do you load 300 packages without routed sequences? Alphabetical order within vision zones is horrible for HD density.

It will be fine

How do you load 300 packages without routed sequences? Alphabetical order within vision zones is horrible for HD density.
There are 24 van sections with vision. I have my routes cut by neighborhood and don't come close to using all the sections. 15-20 stops in a section is pretty easy to handle.

sadmanhere

I have to agree.... even with 200 packages it will be rough........so if we don't get sequenced are they going to load our trucks for us when we merge? or they going to cut out that as well? how will we would verify we are taking the packages out for delivery ? we would still have to scan them? that's not fair........how will we train new drivers?
most hd drivers don't use a helper....in ground the helper can guide the driver.
in hd when we put a new driver on board if they have some experience they can do a whole route with the turn by turns no problem...but with no turn by turns...it will be impossible for a new driver even with experience to do a whole route by himself....... the time and money spent in changing drivers per route will go up astronomically ....

sadmanhere

does anyone know what the scale will be for this merger ? here in nyc the scale was 500 stops or 5 psas to meet isp scale......

FedGT

All larger terminals are 5 psa 500 stops for ISP and that is all that is k own at this time.
I am not sure what you are referring to in regards to helpers for ground, there are very few contractors that will pay for a helper unless someone is hurt.
In regards to packages on your truck you still get a scanner with your manifest you just don't get turn by turn. I would imagine they would be forced to load your trucks. But that is all hypothetical no one knows what they will do.
Training.....that is a whole thread by itself. You get to adapt to the fun that comes to training for a week to 3 weeks and hope you get a decent worker or invest into route planning software that you load daily. Most of the time first week my good trainees would get between 80-100 delivery stops done and all pickups terrible ones would get 40-60 and usually wouldn't last or were fired for being to slow.

STFXG

The trucks will be loaded. They are going to tear out the roller side and run the load down both sides of the belt like they used to before co-locations.

It will be fine

so we get same sequence numbers and they will be on the scanner?
we can still step up the order of the sequence numbers?
It goes by vision. So the stickers will show the route and where it should be loaded on the truck. The printed manifest and the scanner will display stops in an optimized delivery sequence if you want. You can set "clusters" which are similar to zone priorities, so the route will finish near the first pickups. It's not perfect, a good driver with a map can beat the computer, you still need to pay some attention to how it's routing you to make business close times. It will get you finished though.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Sadman, u bought out NYCnick's routes? I understand that area's sucks since finding a parking spot in the city is close to null, so u stop at corners, double park, etc. to run off stops. More power to them...

Not one of us at HD follows the sequence 100%, just like UPS's OrioN trace, it can't see business stops that have bankers hours.

For example, I look at the map overview of my service area before I log on my scanner. Found a cycle shop that closes early on Saturday, so I preload that along with some residential ones in the same area to knock it out so it won't be a send again on a Tuesday.

Area knowledge does trump the software, but I use it as a dispatch tool to make service for my area & to reduce send agains.

Would be nice to walk into a preloaded van, but my stop sequence varies around my business customers first, even though I'm still considered a lowly HD driver. I would love to see a preloader play Tetris in my Ford transit cargo van...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That's just stupid to not use the tech they already have in place... the dispatch has a map view of all the stops in that route. Sequence it or not, print it out and hand it to the driver... he or she or the delivery team can follow it or not, but it gives them " the big picture" of their stops for that day

sadmanhere

with the size of the packages....most of these trucks are filled to the max....sequence numbers make it much easier to load and to find....
why in the world would they do away with sequenced numbers? just soo much easier for everybody.........
i don't need turn by turns to do the route.....either do my drivers...they can just look at the scanner...but the sequences are good in locating the exact package...even if you load your truck by area you're still gonna waste a lot of time reading each address to find which one you want.

It will be fine

with the size of the packages....most of these trucks are filled to the max....sequence numbers make it much easier to load and to find....
why in the world would they do away with sequenced numbers? just soo much easier for everybody.........
i don't need turn by turns to do the route.....either do my drivers...they can just look at the scanner...but the sequences are good in locating the exact package...even if you load your truck by area you're still gonna waste a lot of time reading each address to find which one you want.
You'll need to upgrade to bigger step vans. Sprinters won't work as well with overlap. In hybrid routes you aren't delivering an average of 1.1 packages per stop. It's more like 4 packages per stop. If Fedex is going to load for you, you'll need real trucks.