Ground/HD overlap meeting tomorrow

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Right. What could the regulators do back then when there was really no one else beside the USPS.? You can't compare the regulatory environment of the 1960's versus the one of today. Likewise, E-commerce simply didn't exist back then. But it goes without saying that the combined company's together would have what 70-75% of the total market? Why do you think T-Mobile and Sprint didn't merge it was blocked. Same is true with Wegman's and RiteAid.

Before FedEx, it was the USPS and UPS and a few other minor players and it wasn't a problem. If FedEx was gobbled up by UPS, it would be the USPS and UPS and a few other minor players and it wouldn't be any more of a problem now than it was then.

bacha29

Before FedEx, it was the USPS and UPS and a few other minor players and it wasn't a problem. If FedEx was gobbled up by UPS, it would be the USPS and UPS and a few other minor players and it wouldn't be any more of a problem now than it was then.
Do you actually believe federal and states regulators would allow a merger through one means or another to create an entity with as large a market share as it would likely have and still create the desired level of competition?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you actually believe federal and states regulators would allow a merger through one means or another to create an entity with as large a market share as it would likely have and still create the desired level of competition?

There is no way in the world the government at whatever level would allow the creation of a monopoly.

59 Dano

You mean the same amount of market share and the same level of competition that existed before FedEx existed? What do you think regulators would do if FedEx shut down for some reason, not allow UPS to gobble up most of their customers?

Sheesh.

FedGT

You mean the same amount of market share and the same level of competition that existed before FedEx existed? What do you think regulators would do if FedEx shut down for some reason, not allow UPS to gobble up most of their customers?

Sheesh.

Ok once again off topic to a huge degree like every post that is on this board anymore. I do have to respond to the last one though because there is no correlation with a competitor shutting there doors/ absorbing their clientele and two major players merging that is just plain ridiculous. That's the same as saying Ford was the first truck company so they could merge with GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda because they used to have all the market share anyways.
Now if Bacha, Oldfart, and Dano could go start your own thread and keep the substantially off topic derailments off every others topic, we would all appreciate it.

bbsam

Staff member
Ok once again off topic to a huge degree like every post that is on this board anymore. I do have to respond to the last one though because there is no correlation with a competitor shutting there doors/ absorbing their clientele and two major players merging that is just plain ridiculous. That's the same as saying Ford was the first truck company so they could merge with GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda because they used to have all the market share anyways.
Now if Bacha, Oldfart, and Dano could go start your own thread and keep the substantially off topic derailments off every others topic, we would all appreciate it.
So how was the meeting?

FedGT

Our terminal got bumped back another 6 months for ISP and must overlap within 4 years. Dual contractor is dead by 2021

FedGT

Just awesome that a little more than a decade ago they stole a bunch of work and sold that work to create HD now they realized that was stupid but put it back on us to resolve their errors and stupidity. Their solution is "trade or buy the other out and if you don't you are rolling the dice" I believe was the terminal managers quote.
Not exactly trading apples to apples between the two but they make it quite clear that they could give a rats ass which we all would anticipate.

59 Dano

You complaining that a thread has gone off-topic is like you complaining that someone is being silly.

bacha29

Sheesh.
Let me try again If two free standing companies both with proven records of profitability both operating in the same market in this case X and UPS were to merge for among other reasons combining market shares and creating one huge company with total market domination in a regulated industry there would be very little chance of gaining regulatory approval. Yes, it could gain conditional approval as was the case with TNT but a fast tracked rubber stamped unconditional approval would be extremely unlikely.

bacha29

Just awesome that a little more than a decade ago they stole a bunch of work and sold that work to create HD now they realized that was stupid but put it back on us to resolve their errors and stupidity. Their solution is "trade or buy the other out and if you don't you are rolling the dice" I believe was the terminal managers quote.
Not exactly trading apples to apples between the two but they make it quite clear that they could give a rats ass which we all would anticipate.
RPS later FXG in it's original form was a pure business to business carrier. HD was created for the home delivery market and offered Saturday home delivery and that is why you often had a G contractor and an HD contractor covering the same space.How to resolve that in an equitable manner? It won't be done in such a manner because it's of no concern to X. Some will be better off if you want to call it that while others will be worse off. Grounds for a class action? Maybe and I can't help but think that one of the MDL20's requirements was that nobody could make a claim for anything that happened prior to April 30 2016 even though the payment was based on events from 2001-2007 might be connected to this latest move A 2021 target date for the consolidation? In keeping with their past behavior don't be surprised if they move it up to 2019. Something big may becoming but what is certain is that this latest action is to reestablish complete control over it's so called "Independent Service Provider" labor force.

59 Dano

Let me try again If two free standing companies both with proven records of profitability both operating in the same market in this case X and UPS were to merge for among other reasons combining market shares and creating one huge company with total market domination in a regulated industry there would be very little chance of gaining regulatory approval.

And the same thing was said about Sirius and XM until everyone with a brain realized that the 2 companies were already essentially charging the same price for the same service. AAAAAND that they, either together or separately, were incapable of preventing new participants from entering the market. AAAAAAND that demand for their services was highly elastic. AAAAAAAAND that cheaper alternatives were already in place, should anyone want them.

All of which is just as true for the hypothetical FDX/UPS scenario.

instiches

Our terminal got bumped back another 6 months for ISP and must overlap within 4 years. Dual contractor is dead by 2021

What district are you in? Wondering if it's gulf coast because we are soon going into ISP. Supposed to have a meeting tomorrow and I can probably assume it's about the overlap stuff.