Ground Is Good!

CJinx

Something's wrong with that. Getting a contract pulled is not a 12 hour process. Takes at least a 30 day notice.
Depends on what it got yanked for. One of ours (prior to ISP) was gone in less than 8 hours for workplace violence.

Epoisode7

Disagree. As long as we have an underpaid, overworked opco in the FedEx "family" dragging the rest of us down, we need to call them out. It's like forcing your meth-head, alcoholic, crack-smoking brother into an intervention. These folks need to realize how badly they are getting screwed. By allowing themselves to work for nothing and zero benefits, they bring down the industry as a whole and devalue our type of work. This especially effects Express employees, since Fred now thinks we should be more like Ground, and accept less pay and benefits.

This is one of the best statements I've ever heard. I'm new to the Ground game, but not brand new. None of the contractors/drivers/managers think like this.

What difference do you really think it makes? It's 7:15 on April 22, 2013 and after all your posting and sabotage plans, there is still no union at Express. So what do you think you will accomplish with Ground?
That one simple statement from Mr. Fed Ex has caused me to ponder my current employment and seek something better. I decided to do some research by reading these boards and I'm very disgusted with the Ground model and the treatment of drivers. I've ran into a few of your posts, bbsam, and you seem like a fair employer/contractor in terms of pay, hiring practices, and morale, yet still knowledgable enough to turn a profit, but I assure you, most contractors I see are not like you. They are scum. At least where I work.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't disagree, Episode, that Ground has some crappy contractors. In fact, I think it is only a matter of time for those contractors. If there are 5000 contractors today, I expect in about three years you will see that number drop by half. The ones who have shown themselves quality will continue. Those who suck will be shown the door one way or another. We are always scrutinized.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't disagree, Episode, that Ground has some crappy contractors. In fact, I think it is only a matter of time for those contractors. If there are 5000 contractors today, I expect in about three years you will see that number drop by half. The ones who have shown themselves quality will continue. Those who suck will be shown the door one way or another. We are always scrutinized.

You might be scrutinized by FedEx Corporate, but the bottom line for them is who will do the best job for less, not who will do the best job period. What makes you think that if the consolidation you are talking about really happens, that Fred won't use that leverage against you because you're in so deep that he has you by the short hairs? Let's say there are half the Ground contractors in 3 years and that some of them have 12 or 15 routes. That's a pretty large investment, which I predict will be exploited to the fullest possible extent by FedEx. You have yet to see the flip side of the Smith "45". You won't like the tune he will probably be singing.

Fedexoffice_driver

Ground sure gets the short end of the stick starting pay for a office drivers is 14-15 hr + Benefits paid holiday and vacation without the heavy load ground is bad just my point I have nothing but respect for all the drivers out there putting out on the line.

bbsam

Staff member
You might be scrutinized by FedEx Corporate, but the bottom line for them is who will do the best job for less, not who will do the best job period. What makes you think that if the consolidation you are talking about really happens, that Fred won't use that leverage against you because you're in so deep that he has you by the short hairs? Let's say there are half the Ground contractors in 3 years and that some of them have 12 or 15 routes. That's a pretty large investment, which I predict will be exploited to the fullest possible extent by FedEx. You have yet to see the flip side of the Smith "45". You won't like the tune he will probably be singing.

That's exactly what I am talking about. There is an amount they are willing to pay but they expect not only the job done, but the highest possible quality for that price. They don't care how much people have invested. How is that their problem? If I overpay for a route, why should they overpay me to run it.

contractors have to realize the footing they are on. As you have noted, Fedex has no loyalty to employees or contractors. We are a means to an end. Nothing promised, nothing stolen.

Grounded

Pure, rampant speculation on my part.

bbsam you can't expect someone with no practical knowledge of ground to expect to understand the system better than someone succeeding in the ground model. i'll never understand why he barks so much with no experience to back it up. I don't claim to know express and we shouldn't....

vantexan

bbsam you can't expect someone with no practical knowledge of ground to expect to understand the system better than someone succeeding in the ground model. i'll never understand why he barks so much with no experience to back it up. I don't claim to know express and we shouldn't....

But bbsam knows Express backwards and sideways. He tells us all the time his guys can do anything we do. I wonder how many Ground guys would stick around if they ran a sort everyday and organized their day around delivery time commitments and pickups? They could certainly learn to do it, but would they stick with it for low pay and no benefits?

bbsam

Staff member
I say that they can learn it. I also say that if FedEx wants to take your volume and give it to me I will get it delivered. If they want it delivered in a certain time window, that will cost extra. We are for the most part a straight-line company. If they want something different, I don't think anyone would think that there would not be extra cost involved. Whether that is spent on more drivers or increased pay is a bridge we can cross if...when it comes.

MAKAVELI

I say that they can learn it. I also say that if FedEx wants to take your volume and give it to me I will get it delivered. If they want it delivered in a certain time window, that will cost extra. We are for the most part a straight-line company. If they want something different, I don't think anyone would think that there would not be extra cost involved. Whether that is spent on more drivers or increased pay is a bridge we can cross if...when it comes.
You are going to be waiting a long time to cross that bridge if ever.

vantexan

Never said they couldn't learn it, just that it'll take considerably better compensation to retain quality people when they start having to do everything we do daily.

bbsam

Staff member
And you are better compensated, aren't you? And if I were to have my drivers do the same, I would compensate them for it, correct?

MAKAVELI

And you are better compensated, aren't you? And if I were to have my drivers do the same, I would compensate them for it, correct?
So if you have to compensate your drivers then FedEx has to compensate you. That would eat away that profit margin. Then what would be the point of making that switch? All this is just pointless conjecture anyway. The amount of control and oversight they have to have with express freight wouldn't be possible with the contractor scam.

vantexan

Compensation includes medical, retirement, etc, such as they are. Ground keeps people now because they get into an already loaded truck and tool around at their pace. Might be oversimplified in some cases, but generally they don't have to deal with time pressure or loading trucks or mgrs under constant pressure to produce more profit. And as SPH pointed out, once Ground drivers start being compensated like Express couriers Ground starts losing it's competitive advantage.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So if you have to compensate your drivers then FedEx has to compensate you. That would eat away that profit margin. Then what would be the point of making that switch? All this is just pointless conjecture anyway. The amount of control and oversight they have to have with express freight wouldn't be possible with the contractor scam.

Once you start paying Ground drivers a competitive wage and benefits, the scam is no longer so profitable. That's why Ground wages will never climb beyond that tipping point.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Compensation includes medical, retirement, etc, such as they are. Ground keeps people now because they get into an already loaded truck and tool around at their pace. Might be oversimplified in some cases, but generally they don't have to deal with time pressure or loading trucks or mgrs under constant pressure to produce more profit. And as SPH pointed out, once Ground drivers start being compensated like Express couriers Ground starts losing it's competitive advantage.

Hey...we AGREE on something. See, Donkeys and Elephants can actually see things the same way sometimes.