Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

M

Mike23

Yes, I think we should be happy we have a job. That is the whole crux of my argument. Unemployement is at its highest since 1983. Millions of people that want to work, can't. You have plenty of it and you're crying.

Its about survival and feeding your family. So you're a little over worked?
From my up-bringing, it means its time to man-up.

Spew your contractual rights to somebody who lived through the great depression and they'll think you're a spoiled little sissy that has NO IDEA have great you have it now.

Contractual rights? You're absolutely right! Everyone stop complaining to try to get UPS to follow the contract they agreed to! We SHOULD be happy we still have a job. Hopefully they'll take away UPSers constitution rights next...I mean they already have taken away the right to bare arms (which I don't care about, being Canadian) and the freedom of speech (which I do care about). So, why not let them wipe their butts with that too. Maybe our contract rights will be the second toilet paper wipe?

I know this will blow many peoples mind in UPS leadership school, but how about leading by example for a change? I don't want 9.5 hours on my truck so bring back someone you laid off and after I run my 8.5 hour day I'll bring my truck back to the building and you can load up 30 stops on the truck for someone UPS laid off. Then send'em out. That way the driver still gets SOME hours, even if they are crappy hours. Wouldn't this make everyone happy and not really cost UPS a ton of cash?

705red

Browncafe Steward
If your steward is getting weak maybe its because he/she is getting sick of fighting the good fight alone. Maybe you employees should show a little support, come in and talk with the steward, don't work for free hurting others, notify the steward when a sup shuttles work out to you etc.

I know here we do a picnic every year for the slate that we currently have in office, its $20 a ticket and 1 ticket gets you and your WHOLE family in for the whole day including food, beverages, pony rides, raffles, baggo the list goes on, support your stewards and your union even if you cannot go. I consider myself a good steward and I have only had one driver tell me hes not interested, but this is a 30 year driver that received an additional full 50 hour week of vacation pay and an additional 8 hour paid optional day in our last contract that he didn't get before it, but hes the first one to cry about something.

Get involved I'm sick of hearing people cry and complain but no stones to change it. We were sick of our union and 6 years ago we ran a group against them and won! The first time in 705s history that an incumbent officer was voted out, so it can be done if things are as bad as some say! If you don't try and fix it you have not earned the right to complain about it!

tieguy

Banned
If you called getting body slammed by a 20 year old pitcher good!:happy2:

he did too. I didn't understand why he ran out there in the first place. He didn't throw any punchs and when he finally catchs the pitcher the pitcher does a nice hook roll and takes him down.

Dustbunny

Help me!
My steward has allowed UPS to alter my timecard, change my unit numbers (when they need to, to lower my planned day) change the daily recap reports (recalculate my planned day) and short my paycheck. I have filed grievances for over a year just to be told last month that The Union can't argue time allowances. That's not what they said over a year ago, when I found out what they (UPS) were doing. Then it was "EASY, THEY CAN'T DO THAT". Now it's "SORRY, THEY CAN RUN THE COMPANY HOWEVER THEY WANT". Yes, they can run the company, but they can't change my timecard and STEAL from me. If I steal from them I would be fired, but they can steal from ALL OF US and that's OK. I haven't even been paid my GUARANTEED 8 hrs for the day after Christmas!!!!!!

Dustbunny

Help me!
Doing that now. It's just the point that the Union was supposed to take care of it. They laid down on me. They allowed UPS to cheat and steal. Our entire center has had their time allowances drop DRAMATICALLY over the last year and the union has done nothing.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dust bunny

Changing your time allowances is one thing, changing your time card something else.

It sounds like you are on bonus. Changing the allowances was one of the things that they did here that brought about us voting bonus out.

What they would do is take one area on your route that has a really bad allowance (say you can only run 10 stops an hour in this section) and change it in the time card to an area that you could run 20 stops an hour. The allowances per stop are totally different. Done the way they were studied, you would have made some bonus. After they changed the area number, you didnt.

They can change allowances. They can not alter your paid day time card. IF you worked 10 hours and they show less, you have a grievance. IF you beat the standards by an hour, and after they altered the allowances, you only made 5 minutes, too bad. There are no rules governing how UPS pays bonus. They set the allowances, they make the rules.

Now, if they change your time card and then try discipline, that also is something you can grieve. But changing your allowances, too bad.

Just document. Its hard for management to argue with a driver that has documentation to prove what he is alleging. But its much harder to prove what you are alleging without documentation. Actually, its impossible.

d

tieguy

Banned
Doing that now. It's just the point that the Union was supposed to take care of it. They laid down on me. They allowed UPS to cheat and steal. Our entire center has had their time allowances drop DRAMATICALLY over the last year and the union has done nothing.

Your union has always taken the position that they do not recognize our performance standards. Protesting time standards would violate a core principle of theirs.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
We all know how the rumor mill is here. Has anyone heard the rumor that the union has made a deal with the company that if the company helps organize FedEx the union will cut them some slack? That is the latest, biggest rumor here and I don't know if it's true or not. I know the company seems to be doing alot of stuff they wouldn't have before and the union seems not to be inclined to fight it. And we are winning NOTHING at state panel and EVERYTHING ends at state panel. Just wondering if anyone else had heard this.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We all know how the rumor mill is here. Has anyone heard the rumor that the union has made a deal with the company that if the company helps organize FedEx the union will cut them some slack? That is the latest, biggest rumor here and I don't know if it's true or not. I know the company seems to be doing alot of stuff they wouldn't have before and the union seems not to be inclined to fight it. And we are winning NOTHING at state panel and EVERYTHING ends at state panel. Just wondering if anyone else had heard this.

bs...If the company could have organized fedex they would have done it YEARS ago..and they arent the ones who would have done it anyway, its the teamsters...this whole thing is in the hands of the congress now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
bs...If the company could have organized fedex they would have done it YEARS ago..and they arent the ones who would have done it anyway, its the teamsters...this whole thing is in the hands of the congress now.

You do not get it apparently? Or I am not getting it. It is the company that is pushing for the removal of the RLA exemption for FedEx. Both the Teamsters and UPS would eventually benefit from this. It is MORE the Teamsters that need FedEx to be unionized by the Teamsters to make out in the deal, but UPS is the ones that are driving the legislation and also benefit.

Dustbunny

Help me!
They have changed the unit numbers (some days, not every day). They also changed the unit numbers after I punched out. The unit numbers on the timecard sent to payroll and the unit numbers on my hardcopy (diad) timecard are different. I am a satellite driver, I know...explains alot. I call in my numbers under 1 unit number. They send me a report showing my plan. Then they get my diad back and rerun the report-thus lowering my plan. Then they still short my bonus time off of that report. This is what they say I planned to and I expect to be paid that....just like every other driver in our center. Just because I am satellite doesn't mean they can pay me "what they feel like". The union has filed and won every other bonus pay shortage in our center....why not mine? Everytime we figure out what they are doing, they have an excuse....stop doing it... then change something else. It's all BS and the union knows it, just doesn't want to mess with it. I pretty much give up on the union doing anything useful, much like management.

Dustbunny

Help me!
I have a over a years worth of documentation. That is why we have been filing grievances for over a year. Again, the union just sweeps us under the rug. We (satellite drivers) were not supposed to figure all this out. Guess they should have gotten stupider monkeys to run satellite.

NHDRVR

They have changed the unit numbers (some days, not every day). They also changed the unit numbers after I punched out. The unit numbers on the timecard sent to payroll and the unit numbers on my hardcopy (diad) timecard are different. I am a satellite driver, I know...explains alot. I call in my numbers under 1 unit number. They send me a report showing my plan. Then they get my diad back and rerun the report-thus lowering my plan. Then they still short my bonus time off of that report. This is what they say I planned to and I expect to be paid that....just like every other driver in our center. Just because I am satellite doesn't mean they can pay me "what they feel like". The union has filed and won every other bonus pay shortage in our center....why not mine? Everytime we figure out what they are doing, they have an excuse....stop doing it... then change something else. It's all BS and the union knows it, just doesn't want to mess with it. I pretty much give up on the union doing anything useful, much like management.

The problem is in your representation, not in the Union. As I have said before, you need elect the people you want and not the people that want to throw you under the bus.
The system is far from perfect but as I wrote previously, everyone in your center only has to do a little bit to make things change. It can't be one person trying to do it all. Call your business agent and talk to him for a bit, after all, he/she works for you...