Has anyone noticed stewards becoming weak all of a sudden?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You do not get it apparently? Or I am not getting it. It is the company that is pushing for the removal of the RLA exemption for FedEx. Both the Teamsters and UPS would eventually benefit from this. It is MORE the Teamsters that need FedEx to be unionized by the Teamsters to make out in the deal, but UPS is the ones that are driving the legislation and also benefit.

sleeve, I understand what your saying, and agree that the teamsters would benefit from having fedex in the fold, but in the long run ups is going to need this to pass, or in a few years they are going keep giving market share to fedex, especially since their service is getting better every year....this thing HAS to pass this time or in the next go around.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They have changed the unit numbers (some days, not every day). They also changed the unit numbers after I punched out. The unit numbers on the timecard sent to payroll and the unit numbers on my hardcopy (diad) timecard are different. I am a satellite driver, I know...explains alot. I call in my numbers under 1 unit number. They send me a report showing my plan. Then they get my diad back and rerun the report-thus lowering my plan. Then they still short my bonus time off of that report. This is what they say I planned to and I expect to be paid that....just like every other driver in our center. Just because I am satellite doesn't mean they can pay me "what they feel like". The union has filed and won every other bonus pay shortage in our center....why not mine? Everytime we figure out what they are doing, they have an excuse....stop doing it... then change something else. It's all BS and the union knows it, just doesn't want to mess with it. I pretty much give up on the union doing anything useful, much like management.
I just don't see where you have a case here. The company can assign any unit numbers it wants to an area, change them when they want, whatever. The time standards are not contractually negotiated. The company is not contractually required to pay you bonus. If you could demonstrate that they were only changing the standards when you ran the route, and that other drivers were allowed to use the easier standards for the same areas, then maybe you could make a case for favoritism. Barring that, as long as you are being paid for the hours you worked I'm not sure what you expect the union to do.

Dustbunny

Help me!
The units numbers in my diad and on my time card are different. Besides that point, even after they "update" the report with the different unit numbers I am still shorted. My steward said over a year ago they can't short us bonus time. If the union can't argue a bonus time pay shortage why are we allowed to file a grievance for it? Other drivers have their bonus time pay shortage grievances settled, why would mine be any different?

Dustbunny

Help me!
Can you answer me this----If UPS does not have to pay Bonus Time, why do they? They could refuse to pay all the drivers, not just me. And if they pay everyone else, but not me, isn't that discrimination?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Can you answer me this----If UPS does not have to pay Bonus Time, why do they? They could refuse to pay all the drivers, not just me. And if they pay everyone else, but not me, isn't that discrimination?

The contract says "all payrates shall be a minimum" or something to that degree.

it would not be discrimination if UPS is paying you the proper base wages.

Dustbunny

Help me!
Why would my BA keep taking these grievances it he knew he couldn't do anything about them? Again, it's not discrimination if I am the only one not being paid all my bonus time (not much)? And why would he tell me to contact lawyers and hour/wage board? Just trying to figure out why everyone else can be paid, but not me.

Dustbunny

Help me!
Article 12 says "The employer shall not alter the info for the DIAD board, or info recorded through the use of any other technology, so as to diminish an employees compensable time, without the employees knowledge." This is exactly what UPS/IE did for over a year. By the way, the handbook link on this site has changed Article 12. It no longer states this, but I printed it out last year and my handbook says it. Why would that be changed?

BrassBalls

Stand Up For Your Rights.
If you feel that your steward is not representing your center the right way,Have a station meeting and see how everyone feels.DONOT seperate the center !!!!
If everyone agrees the acting steward needs to go ...then the alternate should have a talk with him..The steward ,would most likely step down and allow the center to be united and act as one....
Why would a steward not file a grievance on 9.5??? I dont know ...BUT If its a grievance you have the right as a member to tell your steward to hand it in.Its your stewards job to see if its a grievance or not.::::I hope no one was laid off!

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I run an outbound belt, and I remember this one particular night where I had picked a package up off of the floor that sat in front of the ladder that leads from the dock to the floor. It was obviously a safety hazard and it is my job to provide a safe work environment. The union steward asked me who was watching me. I told him god. :happy-very:

In all honesty I thought that was petty though. It was a single package on the floor. Not like I was picking off, or loading. I guess some stewards are more hardcore than others. On the bright side, having a tough union steward who works near your operation as a supervisor can and will make you a better management person. It teaches you how to utilize your people better than another supervisor who never even sees the guy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are rumours that in our local contract the term "steward" is being replaced by "stewardess". Not sure the validity but I'll keep everyone up to date.

Dustyroads

I've not seen any weakness on the part of our stewards. They remind me a lot more of a pit bull holding onto a bone than anything else. The weakness I've begun to see over the years is that of individual employees being afraid to file grievances to protect their rights, out of fear of "being targeted".

As for filing a grievance over lost money from a bonus issue, I'd have to say bonus-smonus. If you are receiving your full hourly wage for the exact number of minutes you work every day, you will not have a grievable challenge. I work in a bonus center, some guys make a lot more than others, but as long as everyone is paid their hourly wage, regardless of how many hundreths of an hour they are overallowed or underallowed, then there is nothing to grieve.

In our center, we've voted bonus in twice, and out once, and if it's not working fairly at your center, it only requires a majority vote of the affected employees to end the bonus policy. If you are in a satellite center, you may be the only driver in the center, so I suppose you could just vote bonus out anytime you feel it is unfair.

I've never heard of a grievance filed for bonus money...that is, pay for time in which one was not actually on the clock, that was successful. I've heard lots of complaints that the system wasn't fair, but have never seen a precedent that upheld the payment for bonus money because of unfair allowances or any other reason.

Dustbunny

Help me!
As I told my BA...not a time allowance issue. All other drivers in my center are paid Bonus Time. Isn't it discrimination/illegal to pay them, but not pay me fairly? If they file (and have) a grv for a shortage of bonus time, they get paid. Why can't the union fight for my pay shortage? IE only changed my time 2-3 times everyday, still shorted off the FINAL report.

Hedley_Lamarr

All my steward ever does for me is tell me not to look at my DIAD before my start time. I was punching in the other day, and here he comes looking at and says "hey why are you looking at your DIAD off the clock? I said ''I'm punching in. Can I do that, or am I working for free today??"

over9five

Staff member
All my steward ever does for me is tell me not to look at my DIAD before my start time. I was punching in the other day, and here he comes looking at and says "hey why are you looking at your DIAD off the clock? I said ''I'm punching in. Can I do that, or am I working for free today??"

Tell him to mind his own business.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I'm not saying you completely ignore violations of contractual language. I'm saying you recognize the economic conditions this company is presently under. Maybe appreciate the point that this company is surviving when many large unsinkable companies have sunk. Maybe keep that in the back of your mind as you decide where you're drawing the line.

We do not decide where the line is drawn the contract does!!!!!!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Contractually you are paid by the hour. The Union does not recognize bonus nor the time studies the company uses to pay them from. You will not ever get a union official to argue any point towards either bonus or time studies.

Simply put it does not matter what area number you were in or what they put you in because as I said you are paid by the hour. Now if they are cheating you out of actual time worked then you have a case.

Dustbunny

Help me!
I understand I am paid by the hour. Is it legal to change my units numbers...recalculate my paid day....2-3 times for the same day? They are changing and adding unit numbers AFTER I punchout.