Hate it when this happens

Packmule

$%&(&@. Hate it when I run over a dog. I love dogs! Fortunately, it doesn't sound like I'll get charged with the accident. Still, it makes me sick at heart. At 2 mph, a full grown 12 year old lab, belly crawled under my truck and got run over by rear wheel. How else can a 3 foot dog get under a 1 foot clearance p700? And no, there is no other way to turn around on this dead end street without using someone's driveway. Loved that old dog!! Sick thing is, it didn't kill him. He was sitting up with broken shoulders, and wagging his tail after it happened. Just couldn't get up, and had to be put down by vet with a shot. @$046, n$%^&, @#%&!!! No sleep for me tonight. Got cool bosses so that isn't what bothers me. It the poor old dog.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It isnt your fault, and I do know how you feel. I hit a Lucy, rotweiler, ran into the street right in front of me, on ice, and even though I hit the brakes hard and slid, I ran over her with the duallys. She got loose and was going to her grandmas house. I was in a bad neighborhood, it was dark, and I put my coat over her, to keep her warm, until someone finally stopped and helped me find the owner. I cried for days, still do when I think of it. The owner cleared me, I was never charged, but that was before they got stupid. When we are out in the dark, you cannot see everything. Even if it was light, dogs do weird things coz they are dogs. If it were kids around you would have been counting kids, but dogs are cunning, and obviously snuck under there, and you couldnt see. You are suffering enough from grief, dont let them beat you up.

old levi's

blank space
$%&(&@. Hate it when I run over a dog. I love dogs! Fortunately, it doesn't sound like I'll get charged with the accident. Still, it makes me sick at heart. At 2 mph, a full grown 12 year old lab, belly crawled under my truck and got run over by rear wheel. How else can a 3 foot dog get under a 1 foot clearance p700? And no, there is no other way to turn around on this dead end street without using someone's driveway. Loved that old dog!! Sick thing is, it didn't kill him. He was sitting up with broken shoulders, and wagging his tail after it happened. Just couldn't get up, and had to be put down by vet with a shot. @$046, n$%^&, @#%&!!! No sleep for me tonight. Got cool bosses so that isn't what bothers me. It the poor old dog.

I understand / Really sorry for you

iruhnman630

My dog history and the drama that followed the avoidable ruling is documented here on Brown Cafe.

I felt no guilt whatsoever because there was nothing I could do, but it's not something I ever want to deal with again.

Packmule

Well, whatever. Nice thing about having 29 years in, is the company will do what it will do. I'll survive. What matters is that humanity can return. It's still about the dog. And reality.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have hit three dogs I believe in about 6 years didn't bat an eye on any of them. One at full speed one in a driveway and one on ice. Dogs do crazy things I didn't speed up to hit them so why worry. If people would keep their dogs under control we wouldn't have to worry about these things. My wife says I'm heartless maybe....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I feel for you.
Dogs are good people.
Forgive yourself, that dog would have forgave you given the chance.
This I know.

midwestmess

We had a driver hit a dog and then when he got out to help the dog he was bitten an injury and an accident all at the same time

brown bomber

brown bomber
since my retirement, I have also become aware...that hitting a dog , will result in an avoidable accident charge

back in the day we had drivers hit pot-bellied pigs, horses, dogs, cats....and even a black angus steer, that got out after night fall ( no charges, for any of these incidents )

DS

Fenderbender
I ran over an old beagle that ran under my 76 Pontiac Grand Prix...
I went home and cried,I feel for ya Pack

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I have hit three dogs I believe in about 6 years didn't bat an eye on any of them. One at full speed one in a driveway and one on ice. Dogs do crazy things I didn't speed up to hit them so why worry. If people would keep their dogs under control we wouldn't have to worry about these things. My wife says I'm heartless maybe....
3 Dogs in 6 years !!!! Dude,,pay attention in your neighborhoods, I have been on road 23yrs and havn't hit one !! and yes your attitude was heartless!! walk up to the little kid who's dog you just killed and tell him it how you feel !!
You should rent Old Yeller this weekend ,then see if it helps !!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've hit 2 dogs in my life. 1 in my personal vehicle, many years ago. It was a black black night and the black lab ran across a highway. I didn't even see it until it was too late. The other was while working for UPS. I was in a customers driveway and the dog had gotten under the truck. She couldn't hear and I didn't know she had gotten under there. Fortunately for that dog all it did was roll her over and scare her pretty bad. She never did come near the truck again.

It's one thing when one hits an unknown animal on the road. There isn't much to be done about it. But when it's an animal that one is personally involved with is something totally different. The dog that I hit in the customers driveway really upset me. I learned my lesson and I make sure that there are no pets near the truck when I'm getting ready to leave.

I feel for ya Pack. I'm sorry.

Indecisi0n

sad-dog.jpg

Packmule

I don't know how anyone in a rural setting can possibly do their job without dogs running around the car. Sometimes I have 5 dogs INSIDE the car while I'm selecting packages. Even had a goat in there with me once. Sometimes, I slow down coming in so they will jump up in the cab with me while I'm turning around. Know where they are that way! It all comes with the territory, and most dogs will run around the truck when it starts moving again, but are wary of the wheels at slow speeds in driveways. To have one belly crawl under it after it starts moving is totally new to me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't know how anyone in a rural setting can possibly do their job without dogs running around the car. Sometimes I have 5 dogs INSIDE the car while I'm selecting packages. Even had a goat in there with me once. Sometimes, I slow down coming in so they will jump up in the cab with me while I'm turning around. Know where they are that way! It all comes with the territory, and most dogs will run around the truck when it starts moving again, but are wary of the wheels at slow speeds in driveways. To have one belly crawl under it after it starts moving is totally new to me.
I know, as I have a rural rte as well. Young dogs are the hardest as they, generally, are inquisitive about everything. All you can do is be vigilant about watching where they are.