Hate it when this happens

Packmule

So, as expected, I got charged with my dog accident. Official report says "driver failed to stay out of residential driveways." Yet today, as my sup rode with me, we entered probably 30 private driveways and he never once said a word. Why? Because he totally admits you can't possibly deliver many stops on a route like mine without entering private driveways. Every sup who has ever ridden with me has looked the other way when we entered a private driveway. But now, when something happens, the center mgr and division trot out their little corporate cop out, "Stay out of residential driveways" and charge me with the accident. In the space of 10 minutes this morning, I was advised to use a different driveway, back into it, and then just drive all the way through the one I was in and park on the street again. I'm so confused!!!
Question I have, is while I intend to grieve this stupidity, what would happen if I brought back 30, 40, stops tomorrow that are not deliverable without leaving public roadways? EC-no public access.
Any ideas what would happen?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I deliver a very rural route with MANY long driveways. If I had to follow some cubicle dwellers edict to stay out of residential driveways I figure I could peddle about 35 stops a day. If they want to pull 50 to 55 stops per day off me I would be more than happy to walk all drives off.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not proud of it but I am a UPS Ace. I have 5 kills in my career so far. Four were hit in the street and the other in a neighbors driveway. Was never charged with an accident but these happened several years ago. I will not put myself or the package car at risk by swerving to avoid striking a dog in the roadway.

Packmule

You echo pretty much everything I said to bosses today. Like you, I am about 5 dogs in 29 years, 4 in the street, this one in a private drive. Everyone of them breaks the heart. I am a dog lover. Don't care if that ain't considered manly. Just having a hard time with sup, after sup who looks the other way when guys like you and me drive into private road after private road, but when something happens, they throw you under the bus to get a feather in their cap.
Time for some serious new language in the next contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So, as expected, I got charged with my dog accident. Official report says "driver failed to stay out of residential driveways." Yet today, as my sup rode with me, we entered probably 30 private driveways and he never once said a word. Why? Because he totally admits you can't possibly deliver many stops on a route like mine without entering private driveways. Every sup who has ever ridden with me has looked the other way when we entered a private driveway. But now, when something happens, the center mgr and division trot out their little corporate cop out, "Stay out of residential driveways" and charge me with the accident. In the space of 10 minutes this morning, I was advised to use a different driveway, back into it, and then just drive all the way through the one I was in and park on the street again. I'm so confused!!!
Question I have, is while I intend to grieve this stupidity, what would happen if I brought back 30, 40, stops tomorrow that are not deliverable without leaving public roadways? EC-no public access.

You would be better served to cancel any plans and walk off every private drive stop you manage to get done by doing exactly as they say and...Stay off the private drives!!!
Sometimes you just have to be as stupid as they are.
Failing to make an attempt by using an unauthorized code such as EC could land you in trouble, doing as they ask could prove a huge point for future "avoidable accidents".

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It is impossible to stay completely out of residential driveways on some routes and complete the job anywhere near the allotted time allowed. I have one driveway that is half a mile there and back.

Packmule

You're probably right about unauthorized codes. Still Brownmonster is also right. 50 yards here and there, no sweat. A mile here and there. Not enough hours in the day. But it sure would make a point. Have to bring that up when I have my hearing over the grievance.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is impossible to stay completely out of residential driveways on some routes and complete the job anywhere near the allotted time allowed. I have one driveway that is half a mile there and back.

You can, but you shouldn't have to.
Allotted time???
I'm allotted as long as it takes.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The time to do it would have been when the sup was with you. I would ask for another ride along as there are some things you need to clarify, and you were rattled by the charge, and didnt think to clarify things. And every driveway I would come to I would park in the street, Pull in my mirror, and begin to walk it off. About 5 stops later he will tell you, this ones Ok to back. If not about 3pm tell him, our eta will be 10pm. See how that works. At this point in our careers, we need to make them tell us its crap, what they are telling us to do, its impossible.
Also get aprint out of your ride, and mark every stop you went to in a drive and your sup said not one word.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

You're probably right about unauthorized codes. Still Brownmonster is also right. 50 yards here and there, no sweat. A mile here and there. Not enough hours in the day. But it sure would make a point. Have to bring that up when I have my hearing over the grievance.
UPS uses Google Earth, so can you.
Google Earth is a free download.
If you walk in to the hearing with satellite photos of the delivery area, you will gain a starting respect.
Your portfolio should be a coherent representation of distances and the problems in delivering to this stop.
Write out all your thoughts/memories before the hearing.
When questioned on your actions, you will have a blueprint to refer to.
Expect the unexpected leading questions.
Always answer all questions honestly.

A well prepared defense will be more valuable than the Union Steward sitting next to you.
Just my two cents.
Best of luck,
Steve

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

If you deliver the packages, you will get a warning letter for not staying out of the driveways.

If you stay out of the driveways, you will get a warning letter for not delivering the packages.

Once you can accept the reality that the company is always right and you are always wrong.....your stress level will be reduced, you will gain the ability to sit back and laugh at the stupidity of it all, and you will learn to feel gratitude for the opportunity to make $46 an hour on OT for sitting in the office while they issue you yet another meaningless warning letter.

soberups

Dont sheet them as "EC", sheet them as "missed". "EC" sweeps the problem under the rug and allows them to ignore it. "Missed" shoves the problem right up their butt and forces them to actually deal with it.

soberups

I deliver a very rural route with MANY long driveways. If I had to follow some cubicle dwellers edict to stay out of residential driveways I figure I could peddle about 35 stops a day. If they want to pull 50 to 55 stops per day off me I would be more than happy to walk all drives off.

Many of the "driveways" on my route are actually old logging roads that might be anywhere from 1/2 to 3 miles long.

If I tried walking them off I could die of a heart attack, I could get mauled by a dog, I could get gored or trampled by a 2,000 lb bull, or I could get shot by a nervous homeowner who couldnt see the package car and therefore didnt know who in the hell was hiking up his road at 7:30 on a dark night.

Staying out of driveways might work in Clarksville, but not in the real world where I work.

old levi's

blank space
Many of the "driveways" on my route are actually old logging roads that might be anywhere from 1/2 to 3 miles long.

If I tried walking them off I could die of a heart attack, I could get mauled by a dog, I could get gored or trampled by a 2,000 lb bull, or I could get shot by a nervous homeowner who couldnt see the package car and therefore didnt know who in the hell was hiking up his road at 7:30 on a dark night.

Staying out of driveways might work in Clarksville, but not in the real world where I work.

Everything always works in Clarksville.
All the houses have numbers, all the streets are paved, never rains, never snows ..........

Packmule

Sup doing the followup ride actually told me that dispite my being distracted by all that was happening, I made it very hard for him to find the quota of items he needed to put down on his form. Admited he was nitpicking to beat hell. One thing he didn't put down, however, were the 30 or so times we were parked in private residential driveways. I did ask him about a few, and got told as long as there is a good turnaround, it's ok.
Also, when I had my hearing over the horn honking letter a while back, I openly admitted to the division manager that I was parked in a residential driveway the one time spying sup didn't hear the horn. No one questioned it then, either. Point is, they want their cake and to eat it too. Their actions speak louder than their policy book and I intend to ram both down their throats.

DS

Fenderbender
OK everyone,We have established that running over animals is no fun(except Alabama):)
This thread is about all the bad stuff that happens.
I have been lucky.Never dropped my keys in a sewer,locked them in the back of the truck,
or anything,but I had diarrhea once and it was a rough day.

soberups

Sup doing the followup ride actually told me that dispite my being distracted by all that was happening, I made it very hard for him to find the quota of items he needed to put down on his form. Admited he was nitpicking to beat hell. One thing he didn't put down, however, were the 30 or so times we were parked in private residential driveways. I did ask him about a few, and got told as long as there is a good turnaround, it's ok.
Also, when I had my hearing over the horn honking letter a while back, I openly admitted to the division manager that I was parked in a residential driveway the one time spying sup didn't hear the horn. No one questioned it then, either. Point is, they want their cake and to eat it too. Their actions speak louder than their policy book and I intend to ram both down their throats.

At least he was honest about it. They are required to find 6 things wrong on each side of the OJS form, so if you dont give them anything to check off they will usually just make something up. And as far as it being OK to go in the driveway "as long as there is a good turnaround"....it will only be OK until the moment something goes wrong, at which time they will use 20/20 hindsight from behind a desk to invent a reason why it wasnt a good turnaround.

The company is always right and you are always wrong and if you ever do happen to be right then the rules will be changed so that you will still be wrong. Its kind of like being in a really bad marriage, only it pays better.