Hate it when this happens

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
3 Dogs in 6 years !!!! Dude,,pay attention in your neighborhoods, I have been on road 23yrs and havn't hit one !! and yes your attitude was heartless!! walk up to the little kid who's dog you just killed and tell him it how you feel !!
You should rent Old Yeller this weekend ,then see if it helps !!
Dogs in town are usually under control I deliver a rural route they are all over the place. Dog 1 driving down a gravel road it literally ran out of the wood and hit the side of my truck full speed. Dog 2 icy road it ran after me slipped an slid under the truck. Dog three there are two dogs one always chases me and bites at the front tires while make sure I didn't hit it apparently dog 2 just walked right under my back tires. The last one was in their driveway so I did have to go tell them I hit it and a young girl was the only one home I said is the black one yours too she said yeah I said I hit it and went on my way. I have pets they are worth what it costs me to replace them. I know I'm the bad guy here it's just my personal feelings.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"I hit it and went on my way..."

I bet you told your kids when they were really young that there was no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy.

Cove is right--you need to rent "Ol' Yeller".

gman042

Been around the block a few times
In our center, hitting a dog has been an avoidable accident for a few years now.

UPS argues it could have been a child. I don't know when the last time that I drove down a road or a long driveway and had 6 children running around the truck barking and biting at the tires.

Another question.......so why are cats, raccoons, possums, birds exempt from the accident clause?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In our center, hitting a dog has been an avoidable accident for a few years now.

UPS argues it could have been a child. I don't know when the last time that I drove down a road or a long driveway and had 6 children running around the truck barking and biting at the tires.

Another question.......so why are cats, raccoons, possums, birds exempt from the accident clause?
Because they are not owned by anyone. Most states say cats are not owned. :dont_know:​Of course, if you were to hit a deer or an elk it would be your fault because it caused damage to the truck and someone has to be held accountable for that.

Re-Raise

I don't see how they can charge you for this. My argument would be, what am I supposed to do when a dog chases the truck? Should I proceed or not?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't see how they can charge you for this. My argument would be, what am I supposed to do when a dog chases the truck? Should I proceed or not?

I could see it if we in their driveway but not on a public road.

I have killed two dogs in my 23 years. The first was a German shephard who had broken his chain. I missed with the front tires but not with the dualies. No one was one so I dragged him out of the road and left a note. The second was a little dog which I did not even realize I had hit until I got back to the building and there was a state trooper waiting for me. I was cited for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to an animal. I was able to get the ticket thrown out and was never charged by UPS.

Indecisi0n

I could see it if we in their driveway but not on a public road.

I have killed two dogs in my 23 years. The first was a German shephard who had broken his chain. I missed with the front tires but not with the dualies. No one was one so I dragged him out of the road and left a note. The second was a little dog which I did not even realize I had hit until I got back to the building and there was a state trooper waiting for me. I was cited for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to an animal. I was able to get the ticket thrown out and was never charged by UPS.

What did the note say?:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They can "charge" you for anything they want.

They can deem any accident "avoidable" whether there was anything you could have done to avoid it or not.

They can spew out a meaningless "warning" letter for anything they want.

They can issue or deny safe driving awards at their discretion.

What they cant do....is successfully terminate your employment for the ticky-tacky crap.

We work for a company that is not capable of rationally defining what an "accident" is. We work for a company that is not capable of making rational distinctions between accidents that are avoidable versus accidents that are unavoidable.

You will be charged...or not charged...solely at the personal whim of an individual who is totally unaccountable and who will evaluate your "accident" using 20/20 hindsight from behind a desk. This person almost certainly is required to generate a quota of warning letters per month in order to justify their job. They dont have to make decisions in real time and in the real world like we do, so their opinions mean nothing.

This is why we as drivers need to mentally detach ourselves from any concern over receiving safe driving awards or recognition. Its more about luck than it is about actualy driving safely.

soberups

The rule at our center used to be that hitting any animal on a public road was automatically deemed to be unavoidable. Our first priority always needs to be to stay in the road and maintain control of the vehicle even if it means running over the animal.

Somewhere along the line, we got rid of this logical rule and now if you hit an animal they pretty much flip a coin to decide if they feel like "charging" you for it or not. If its the end of the month and they havent met their warning letter quota, you will get "charged" with it even if there wasnt anything you truly could have done to avoid it.

soberups

Pack,
I am impressed that you cared and can share your grief.

It just friend@#$$%^@! sucks when these things happen.

Hitting a dog is a real ball-buster.

I have never run one over, but on one occasion I was driving my personal car out in the country and I came upon a woman whose Rottweiler had been hit by a car that had just driven off. The woman was hysterical, she didnt know what to do. The dog was busted up really bad, both hips broken and internal bleeding. Big dog, at least 100 lbs., laying in the ditch. The nearest vet was 45 minutes away and we would have had to find a way to manhandle that dog into the trunk or back seat of a car which would have been excruciatingly painful for a big dog with busted hips. You probably know where this story is going, I was able to convince the woman that the best choice for the dog was to be euthanised on the spot, which I did for her by shooting it in the head. I went home and bawled like a baby and it really screwed me up mentally for awhile even though it was an act of kindness to end its suffering. Everytime I see a Rottie I think about that poor dog.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hitting a dog is a real ball-buster.

I have never run one over, but on one occasion I was driving my personal car out in the country and I came upon a woman whose Rottweiler had been hit by a car that had just driven off. The woman was hysterical, she didnt know what to do. The dog was busted up really bad, both hips broken and internal bleeding. Big dog, at least 100 lbs., laying in the ditch. The nearest vet was 45 minutes away and we would have had to find a way to manhandle that dog into the trunk or back seat of a car which would have been excruciatingly painful for a big dog with busted hips. You probably know where this story is going, I was able to convince the woman that the best choice for the dog was to be euthanised on the spot, which I did for her by shooting it in the head. I went home and bawled like a baby and it really screwed me up mentally for awhile even though it was an act of kindness to end its suffering. Everytime I see a Rottie I think about that poor dog.
I had 'adopted' a dog from a friend a long time ago. The dog was neglected and left chained out in the yard. The owners son had tormented the dog mercilessly. The dog never got fed regularly. The dog bit the son. The best watch dog I ever had but I had you kids at the time as well. When I took the dog it was under the caveat that if the dog ever went after one of my kids it would be put down. The dog bit my youngest son. It was the last time it ever bit anyone. I put him down, myself. It's not an easy thing to do.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My dog was like 6 months old. we were just training her. It was winter, if we have 3 cars on our road its a busy day. My bluebelle saw this truck coming up the road and she froze. My husband was calling her, she didnt hear him, she was entranced. Although I would have been inconsoleable, I would not have blamed the propane driver, but instead he went in the ditch and somehow kept on going, in a midohio worst snowstorm, we had seen in years.
I thank him to this day. But would not have blamed him, had he run her over.
I hit a cat a few weeks ago, I felt awful. On my way to work, a neighbors cat. But I was not going to hit someones mailbox and wreck my truck to save a cat, or a dog. I will avoid it to the umpteenth degree if I can, but I wont swerve and wreck to miss a deer, a dog, a cat, a cow, or a horse.
I feel bad when I hit deer too. Two in 6 months, they just jump outta fricking no where.

soberups

I had 'adopted' a dog from a friend a long time ago. The dog was neglected and left chained out in the yard. The owners son had tormented the dog mercilessly. The dog never got fed regularly. The dog bit the son. The best watch dog I ever had but I had you kids at the time as well. When I took the dog it was under the caveat that if the dog ever went after one of my kids it would be put down. The dog bit my youngest son. It was the last time it ever bit anyone. I put him down, myself. It's not an easy thing to do.

There is a special place in Hell for assh&$es who neglect their dogs and chain them to a tree with no love or affection. At least you gave the dog a chance, but by the time you got it the damage to the dogs psyche had already been done. It wasnt a happy dog, and it was never going to be a happy dog. I am a big baby when it comes to dogs, but a dog that bites without provocation is a menace and needs to be put down. At least you tried.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is a special place in Hell for assh&$es who neglect their dogs and chain them to a tree with no love or affection. At least you gave the dog a chance, but by the time you got it the damage to the dogs psyche had already been done. It wasnt a happy dog, and it was never going to be a happy dog. I am a big baby when it comes to dogs, but a dog that bites without provocation is a menace and needs to be put down. At least you tried.
That happened many years ago. If I had known then some of the things I know now I feel the dog would have had a better chance. I have never agreed with chaining a dog out. I don't approve of it. And I could not, in good conscience, turn the dog into the pound. I did what I needed to do.

texan

That happened many years ago. If I had known then some of the things I know now I feel the dog would have had a better chance. I have never agreed with chaining a dog out. I don't approve of it. And I could not, in good conscience, turn the dog into the pound. I did what I needed to do.

Sometimes, we have no choice. Bless you for trying.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That is the exact baby I found a few weeks ago. His collar was embedded in his neck, but he was a big huge, I mean huge loving puppy. I bet he went 200 pds. Everyone ran into the gas station, And I offered him my slim jim. Which he gladly took. Everyone just stepped back, and said yes hes cute, beautiful , and really big..............I left the store attendant in charge, I had to leave. I had called the animal group, the dog catcher and the cops. The cop lady came and stayed with him. I had tied him to a guard rail which lasted about 2 minutes. But he just stayed with the cop lady, he loved people. Im sure he will be found a good home, the dog guy was the same guy who rescued my bluebelle, white doberman.
I was berated for leaving him. Others said well my management knows I will never leave a dog. Arent you a teamster.....You didnt have to go. Tell me where in my teamster protection I can wait for a dog rescue? I did what I could do since everyone else was scared, and he didnt get hit.
And I know in my heart someone will take him.
On a side note my bluebelle treated me like I was rotten meat when I got home. Even after washing my hands profusely from the rotting going on around his neck, where the collar was embedded, she still smelled it and I guess she was thinking I was out killing doggies. She ran up to me when I got home, then backed away which she never does. Would not let me touch her all night. her eyes were full of fear. Even growled at me.
But she is so smart, I used her key words. I sat her down, I told her "the boy doggy was in the "road", he was going to get "hit", he doesnt have a "mommy and daddy" that love him.
I found him a "home", he will get "food" and "kisses" and "treats" he is a "good dog". She kept turning her head and tilting it like she does when she is listening. Then all was well. Never tell me dogs dont understand.