Heads up letter from the Union about possible strike

Staydryitsraining

If there are things stirring strike talk from union officials it's something ups has told them they won't budge on (think healthcare last contract) and the union feels it's worth digging our heels in over.

What could that be? No more pension payments? Tiered wage scale? Sub contracting?
I'm in Texas and we have posted in our hub about some program that is taking feeder jobs because of contractors, it had an acronym but I don't remember.

Staydryitsraining

Doesn't matter really what we strike for if we strike. A strike would cripple the company. You could promise everything to off the streets, they have zero idea how to do the job and the amount of time it would take for them to understand it and do it without incident, I would fathom it would cost the company 8 figures minimum. They would concede and give us what we were fighting for.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't mean local strikes. Management/IE obviously sucks in some areas. That's what has to be dealt with at the local level. Meaning that it's not the CEO ordering that most drivers get around 55 hours a week. When you strike, it's against those at the top. Since about 2/3rds of the country gets a reasonable 45-47 hours a week average, then it's not corporate policy to put out excessive hours, it's local management. Maybe nothing can be done locally, but all I'm saying is that is where the problem is.

You have it backwards. If you're crying over my opinions, you're the whiney little snow flake.

I'm not saying it's perfect here and "I'm fine and that's all that matters". Never said that. If the workers decide to strike, I'll stand with everyone.
I'm just saying that more of the country is on the reasonable side of hours. Excessive overtime is not corporate policy. I like 47 hours a week, perhaps some guys are looking for a 40 hour job. I signed up 10 years ago knowing the job is what it is.
Worth striking over?

So ups says we are using uber type delivery drivers.

Lead of package division at the union says no. Then is fired.

Ups then says we are going to do it anyway.

Oh it's gonna be real interesting.

Move Over Uber, Here Comes UPS

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm not saying it's perfect here and "I'm fine and that's all that matters". Never said that. If the workers decide to strike, I'll stand with everyone.
I'm just saying that more of the country is on the reasonable side of hours. Excessive overtime is not corporate policy. I like 47 hours a week, perhaps some guys are looking for a 40 hour job. I signed up 10 years ago knowing the job is what it is.
You have no idea what's going on across the country, and nor do I. But I do know that you work in a small building near/on a broken island, that services, well, not that many customers. Even if you are "correct", it's probably for the wrong reasons and it's a shot in the dark. My guess is that (and this is coming from management), your center(s) are an aberration, if your average driver is paid around 46-47 hours a week. The corporate line will almost always be to do more with less, cut cut cut, until there is a major jam-up.

JL 0513

You have no idea what's going on across the country, and nor do I. But I do know that you work in a small building near/on a broken island, that services, well, not that many customers. Even if you are "correct", it's probably for the wrong reasons and it's a shot in the dark. My guess is that (and this is coming from management), your center(s) are an aberration, if your average driver is paid around 46-47 hours a week. The corporate line will almost always be to do more with less, cut cut cut, until there is a major jam-up.

My center is in a highly populated MA coastal area. No rural areas.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My center is in a highly populated MA coastal area. No rural areas.
It's a tiny area with not many people and a sample size that is worthless, that's my point . To suggest you know what is going on nationally with drivers paid hours, is pretty ridiculous. To suggest that, well, I didn't think you were serious at first. And there are quite a few more or less rural areas where you are, if I remember correctly.

Star B

White Lightening
do you think you're going to find enough "packubers" to deliver :censored2:. thefts would be through the roof.

UPS has special vehicles that are constantly filled to the brim. I dont think Billy and his prius is going to stop at the center 100 times a day. He's going to load up his car, do his 15 and say "i'm done".

MAKAVELI

do you think you're going to find enough "packubers" to deliver :censored2:. thefts would be through the roof.

UPS has special vehicles that are constantly filled to the brim. I dont think Billy and his prius is going to stop at the center 100 times a day. He's going to load up his car, do his 15 and say "i'm done".
I've seen them drop a PODS or UPS trailer in an area where the driver loads up throughout the day.

Star B

White Lightening
yes, one pods trailer in one neighborhood that's all overflow after the rest of the fleet are bricked out, a different animal than "every day, 365, drop and go"

How would rural areas work? Drop a POD at the closest city and pray?

MAKAVELI

yes, one pods trailer in one neighborhood that's all overflow after the rest of the fleet are bricked out, a different animal than "every day, 365, drop and go"

How would rural areas work? Drop a POD at the closest city and pray?
I don't think the PVD idea is for year round. I've also seen them use golf carts with the PODS. :-)

JL 0513

It's a tiny area with not many people and a sample size that is worthless, that's my point . To suggest you know what is going on nationally with drivers paid hours, is pretty ridiculous. To suggest that, well, I didn't think you were serious at first. And there are quite a few more or less rural areas where you are, if I remember correctly.

Population is 1,000 people per square mile in my county. Far higher in two cities we do. What is "a lot" of people to you. Manhattan? We barely have any free land. Not sure why you think you know my area.

Regardless, that stuff shouldn't matter too much to paid days. You hire enough drivers to get the work done reasonably where ever it is.

When did I say I know what's going on nationally?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Population is 1,000 people per square mile in my county. Far higher in two cities we do. What is "a lot" of people to you. Manhattan? We barely have any free land. Not sure why you think you know my area.

Regardless, that stuff shouldn't matter too much to paid days. You hire enough drivers to get the work done reasonably where ever it is.

When did I say I know what's going on nationally?
I don't mean local strikes. Management/IE obviously sucks in some areas. That's what has to be dealt with at the local level. Meaning that it's not the CEO ordering that most drivers get around 55 hours a week. When you strike, it's against those at the top. Since about 2/3rds of the country gets a reasonable 45-47 hours a week average, then it's not corporate policy to put out excessive hours, it's local management. Maybe nothing can be done locally, but all I'm saying is that is where the problem is.

I lived, for many many years, where your center delivers, that's how I know. You work in a tiny building, overall. I don't know what or why you are arguing at this point. :D

JL 0513

I lived, for many many years, where your center delivers, that's how I know. You work in a tiny building, overall. I don't know what or why you are arguing at this point. :D

It's a 50 route center, small but not "tiny". It's also not the only center I've worked in. Again, what do these things have to do with how many hours drivers work?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

we already did it very successfully last peak, they were lining up down the street to do it, in an area that has trouble filling FSP bids all year

I don't think the PVD idea is for year round. I've also seen them use golf carts with the PODS. :-)
yet

4evapreloader

Fall River / New Bedford are an extension of Rhode Island. Nowhere ville.

Drive an hour north, they could not get enough drivers last peak.... or so they told us. Tears In the Rain better prepare for flooding in Atlanta Monday. Expect the unexpected ... which management is notoriously poor at.