Heads up letter from the Union about possible strike

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm not spinning anything. I just don't have any grievances. I became a driver at 33 and in my life, it's the easiest job I've ever had. I like the 7 hours of OT a week.
That's the thing, you don't know what it is like in other centers. I've been blessed to be in a few good buildings where it isn't a problem. The first building I was in not a single guy was on the 9.5 list, because local management never let it get to that point. The center an hour south, nearly the whole building was on it and they didn't care about the grievances. They just paid them out.

It's a big company, something some people on here seem to miss. There are places where better overtime protection is a god send. There are other places where it doesn't matter at all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not spinning anything. I just don't have any grievances. I became a driver at 33 and in my life, it's the easiest job I've ever had. I like the 7 hours of OT a week.
Every comment you've made has been thru the eyes of the tom dick and Harry.

They don't matter!!!!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
A disgrace to every union brother and sister before that fought for everything we have.
Everybody has a right to their own opinion. I don't think anybody should have to completely buy into everything to be a part of something.

Do I buy into all of the management shenanigans? Nope. Does that make me a leper? No. I just have different views. And that's okay.

Brownslave688

That's the thing, you don't know what it is like in other centers. I've been blessed to be in a few good buildings where it isn't a problem. The first building I was in not a single guy was on the 9.5 list, because local management never let it get to that point. The center an hour south, nearly the whole building was on it and they didn't care about the grievances. They just paid them out.

It's a big company, something some people on here seem to miss. There are places where better overtime protection is a god send. There are other places where it doesn't matter at all.
Maybe i am different but when a union goes on strike I virtually never think well god they make too much.

Its almost always ignorant things written into contacts that do companies in. Like auto workers making 75% of their full pay when laid off.

Maybe i am different but when a union goes on strike I virtually never think well god they make too much.

Its almost always ignorant things written into contacts that do companies in. Like auto workers making 75% of their full pay when laid off.
Or Porter jobs at UPS. Take out the trash and sweep the floor for top pay or very close to it?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Yes but you're also a union member. Of course you think the compensation isn't enough. The overwhelming majority of this country isn't union and that's what many (not all) may think.

If you want to strike, strike. I'll burn off some calories delivering packages IDGAF. But I think some people on here get themselves in the union bubble and think things like fully funded healthcare is the norm when it is far from the truth.

Brownslave688

Everybody has a right to their own opinion. I don't think anybody should have to completely buy into everything to be a part of something.

Do I buy into all of the management shenanigans? Nope. Does that make me a leper? No. I just have different views. And that's okay.
No you don't have to buy in but respect that other people may have serious issues.

I can respect that he feels it's a great job but he should respect that others may not feel the same.

He asked what some reasons for a strike might be. We have some examples and he basically said well I don't feel that way so it's dumb

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes but you're also a union member. Of course you think the compensation isn't enough. The overwhelming majority of this country isn't union and that's what many (not all) may think.

If you want to strike, strike. I'll burn off some calories delivering packages IDGAF. But I think some people on here get themselves in the union bubble and think things like fully funded healthcare is the norm when it is far from the truth.

It's not all about monetary compensation.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2500.GIF

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
No you don't have to buy in but respect that other people may have serious issues.

I can respect that he feels it's a great job but he should respect that others may not feel the same.

He asked what some reasons for a strike might be. We have some examples and he basically said well I don't feel that way so it's dumb
He's also basing his views off of personal experience. If you've never experienced weeks and weeks of 12 hour days or management that nails you for every little thing, you don't think you need those protections. It's just complacency.

Brownslave688

I actually think we are compensated very fairly. I'd take a pay cut for less workload. It's why I've bid on a few of the jobs that I have.

However ups doesn't know how to tone it back and they continue to make a healthy profit.

Do I expect more? No

Do I expect concessions? No

I just expect the status quo

MAKAVELI

Whenever the nurses go on strike out here the biggest reason is work rules.

If it's the norm for the members, it's the norm. People don't join a union to get the same or less than non union workers.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I actually think we are compensated very fairly. I'd take a pay cut for less workload. It's why I've bid on a few of the jobs that I have.

However ups doesn't know how to tone it back and they continue to make a healthy profit.

Do I expect more? No

Do I expect concessions? No

I just expect the status quo
And I don't disagree with the pay thing. I really don't. But there is give and take in every contract. If you don't evolve the contract and get stuck in the past you end up like Roadway