Helpers In July???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just found out that my Local has given the company permission to utilize helpers next week in anticipation of increased volume due to Amazon's Christmas In July Sale.

Is this happening anywhere else?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just found out that my Local has given the company permission to utilize helpers next week in anticipation of increased volume due to Amazon's Christmas In July Sale.

We allow RTDs from June 1 through the 2nd week of January but not helpers..

I hope your local is getting something out of allowing helpers; ie. paying them AT LEAST their regular PT rate. I'd go jump out of a PC for almost $20/hour.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

What a load of crap. They already get to hire seasonals for the summer to drive.

Are they really expecting that much of an increase?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

In the Central Region;

Article 11

Section 5

"In situations of emergency and/or volume fluctuations, in order to provide customer commitment, part-time employees by agreement with the local union, will be allowed to work as driver helpers outside the months of November through Friday of the second full week of January."

What a load of crap. They already get to hire seasonals for the summer to drive.

In the Central....

Seasonal work is November - December.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central....

Close, but it's actually November through Friday of the second full week of January now (concession).
Couple that with the vacation replacement language that allows the company to use whoever they want from May to Labor Day, and that leaves less than half of the year for seniority to prevail.

Now we are allowing helpers because Amazon is having a sale???

SMH

~Bbbl~

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In the Central Region;

Article 11

Section 5

"In situations of emergency and/or volume fluctuations, in order to provide customer commitment, part-time employees by agreement with the local union, will be allowed to work as driver helpers outside the months of November through Friday of the second full week of January."

In the Central....

-Bug-
Call it whatever you want but like @Bubblehead said if the company wants to they can easily get by most of the year without anyone attaining seniority.

542thruNthru

Our local will allow helpers during certain times like when Comic Con comes to town. It's always inside helpers and they are paid top scale.

Inthegame

Yes unfortunately but Christmas in July...Bah, Humbug. UPS is asking for this allowance in certain centers where they are understaffed. Our local pointed out the problem of understaffing is easily repaired (and solely the responsibility of the employer) without the use of helpers. Hire more, lower dispatches and this blip will be inconsequential.