Hey, what if all drivers refused to deliver over 70s without help?

Hethatbeking

Driver helper means fewer fulltime driving jobs and more drivers loaded up like peak, you can keep the jumper idea in your local:)
Nope it means less injuries and a message that delivering packages of 70 lbs is expensive. Part time loaders get paid top scale per the contract when they go out as driver helpers.

I've thought about doing this on the rural routes I cover. They would have to send a driver over 30+ miles to assist me. And if it happens to be one of those stops 25 miles down a dead end road then that's 55 miles ONE WAY that driver has to travel to help me.
....and nobody will show up.

WTFm8

A better idea is to encourage all drivers nation wide to take their lunch breaks concurrently according to the language of their local riders. In my local a vast amount of people take paid lunches and it has wreaked havoc on the amount of routes that get cut.

Nah, they'd rather take their lunch back at the building... even tho management have said that affects PM time.

My supplement says lunch between hours 3 and 5 you take either full hour or a 20 min then a 40min later. Plus a 10min paid break during 2nd half of day.

Yet the daily driver paper shows some routes as only 30 minute or 1 hour lunches... even tho contract supplement says 1 hour. (Or can be required to work through 'lunch' and get a 20 min paid lunch but must show as 1hr overtime/can't be told to go home hour early).

If you get done early on a route that says 30 min lunch, but still have a pickup in 45 min to 1.5 hrs later, they'll ask if you took your full hour and will try to get you to punch in another 30 min unpaid break to take that 1hr break even tho sheet says 30 min.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'd say in general drivers figure out where their residential over 70's are going, especially if you sort your car. Most times you should be able to give some notice if you need help. It's pretty rare that I can't slide, drag or roll an overweight onto a hand truck. I only lift and carry them when I can because I can. Anybody with any weight training experience should know their limits, and how to lift and carry heavy boxes safely.

Nah, they'd rather take their lunch back at the building... even tho management have said that affects PM time.

My supplement says lunch between hours 3 and 5 you take either full hour or a 20 min then a 40min later. Plus a 10min paid break during 2nd half of day.

Yet the daily driver paper shows some routes as only 30 minute or 1 hour lunches... even tho contract supplement says 1 hour. (Or can be required to work through 'lunch' and get a 20 min paid lunch but must show as 1hr overtime/can't be told to go home hour early).

If you get done early on a route that says 30 min lunch, but still have a pickup in 45 min to 1.5 hrs later, they'll ask if you took your full hour and will try to get you to punch in another 30 min unpaid break to take that 1hr break even tho sheet says 30 min.
It’s important for members to realize that your break is an important dispatch tool. When ORION was implemented they were up front in telling us that for every 5.something(don’t remember the exact number) drivers that took their breaks at the end of the day that would result in a cut route. That’s not factoring in the drivers who don’t even take it or get paid to work through it. So you can imagine the number of man hours per day in extra commercial stops that these members are doing. Over x amount of time that alone is costing full time driving jobs . Management is deathly afraid of a lunch break taken by the book. If we all did it their hand would be forced to give us our routes back. The amount of missed commercial stops would be too much to handle. It would take a while and some real dedication but I truly believe that this is a good starting and rallying point for us to finally unite and start a tangible recovery from what has been a pretty bad beating mentally and physically for a lot of members. Some may be doing things that they shouldn’t because they just don’t know and others knowingly break down conditions. It’s never too late to change. Spread the good word. Believe me after a few million dollars a day lost nationwide in missed pieces you will get out earlier and do less work because they won’t be able to jack you 20 or 25 stops extra of commercial work.

E2C01200-7875-4804-812A-1E277A218924.jpeg
The hell are you talking about?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This language is easily the biggest "trump card" in our hand....learn it, live it, use it!!!!

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE
PACKAGE HANDLING
The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of
the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management
will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union
agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the
handling, pick-up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves
to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling
No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages
alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling
would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases,
the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested
in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or
2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or
3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate lifting/
handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances
that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/
handling device.

In all such instances involving package car drivers, where assistance
from another bargaining unit employee has been requested in
good faith, both employees will be full-time employees of the bargaining unit except that air drivers or helpers, where permitted by
the applicable Supplement, may be used to assist the full-time driver
in the delivery and/or pickup of such overweight packages. On
Saturdays, air drivers may be assisted by another air driver in the
delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. A helper may be
used to assist a driver in the handling of overweight packages when
a helper is already on the package car in accordance with the terms
of the Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance
if it is the employee’s good faith belief that the customer is not
qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to
themselves or the customer.