Hoffa letter to Reid and Pelosi.

iruhnman630

Once more exemptions are handed out to Hoffas' people, Hoffa will be singing a different tune and saying how great Obamacare is for everyone else.

I haven't been keeping up with the details of the current negotiations to end the shutdown but I do believe I heard that among them is a deal to appease union opposition to Obamacare and help re-energize the union support for Obama and the dems in this fight.

foundinload

what is the "or else what" to the response or non-response to this letter?

Dear Leader Reid and Leader Pelosi:

When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat. Right now, unless you and the Obama Administration enact an equitable fix, the ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.

Like millions of other Americans, our members are front-line workers in the American economy. We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision.

Now this vision has come back to haunt us.

Since the ACA was enacted, we have been bringing our deep concerns to the Administration, seeking reasonable regulatory interpretations to the statute that would help prevent the destruction of non-profit health plans. As you both know first-hand, our persuasive arguments have been disregarded and met with a stone wall by the White House and the pertinent agencies. This is especially stinging because other stakeholders have repeatedly received successful interpretations for their respective grievances. Most disconcerting of course is last week’s huge accommodation for the employer community—extending the statutorily mandated “December 31, 2013” deadline for the employer mandate and penalties.

Time is running out: Congress wrote this law; we voted for you. We have a problem; you need to fix it. The unintended consequences of the ACA are severe. Perverse incentives are already creating nightmare scenarios:

First, the law creates an incentive for employers to keep employees’ work hours below 30 hours a week. Numerous employers have begun to cut workers’ hours to avoid this obligation, and many of them are doing so openly. The impact is two-fold: fewer hours means less pay while also losing our current health benefits.

Second, millions of Americans are covered by non-profit health insurance plans like the ones in which most of our members participate. These non-profit plans are governed jointly by unions and companies under the Taft-Hartley Act. Our health plans have been built over decades by working men and women. Under the ACA as interpreted by the Administration, our employees will treated differently and not be eligible for subsidies afforded other citizens. As such, many employees will be relegated to second-class status and shut out of the help the law offers to for-profit insurance plans.

And finally, even though non-profit plans like ours won’t receive the same subsidies as for-profit plans, they’ll be taxed to pay for those subsidies. Taken together, these restrictions will make non-profit plans like ours unsustainable, and will undermine the health-care market of viable alternatives to the big health insurance companies.

On behalf of the millions of working men and women we represent and the families they support, we can no longer stand silent in the face of elements of the Affordable Care Act that will destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans.

We believe that there are common-sense corrections that can be made within the existing statute that will allow our members to continue to keep their current health plans and benefits just as you and the President pledged. Unless changes are made, however, that promise is hollow.

We continue to stand behind real health care reform, but the law as it stands will hurt millions of Americans including the members of our respective unions.

We are looking to you to make sure these changes are made.

James P. Hoffa
General President
International Brotherhood of Teamsters

Joseph Hansen
International President
UFCW

D. Taylor
President
UNITE-HERE

WESLA

It is what it is
Nice try at spinning.

No ... what you do is you have the power to not uses their services or goods in the future.

At a restaurant, I can ask to talk to the manager but the real power is in never coming back.

I can ask for a Bud Light and refuse to pay for the Budweiser.

I can leave Best Buy and go to Sam's or Amazon (which I have done).

Are you in a RTW state hoax?
Cause piedmont is pretty much on the right track with people's mind sets in those states.

In a RTW state if an employee chose to not be a member of the union, and with that decision, gave up their insurance, pay, and job security with that decision, then yes maybe RTW wouldn't be so bad....

WESLA

It is what it is
Wrong answer. I had a restaurant and people weren't liable to pay for what they didn't order or what wasn't done/cooked correctly as long as they notified the server. And tipping is and always will be by discretion, legally. Your comparison is not apples for apples.

Your losing credibility man. What piedmont said is the same concept.

RealPerson

RTW people work just as hard...

Why are you letting your LEADERS give back things then???

So, I can Not work and pay $70 a month for all that?? Awesome deal Bro...

Get your head out of a Box..

WESLA

It is what it is
I always Laugh when I see people talking about what was WON by pas Union People and we should pay dues for that.

WRONG. I don't pay my Lawyer who might be doing a bad job on my case, just because he has won cases before mine.

Then we also have the fact the hall is GIVING back some of these hard earned things that the PAST Union people have WON....
But he is a Saint and accept it, during RECORD times? NO

You hardcore union guys would believe the IBT when they tell you that is roses you smell on the end of your noses.....

While I believe the Company would walk all over us without a Union, I also believe the CURRENT leadership need to WORK and not ride these Golden coat tails of Past UNION People you speak so highly of.

My Dues pay my President and my BA's Salary and their expenses. All the Retirement and Health comes from the Company if you are in the union or not.

Ok.
And here in lies the problem with the membership now days. I can read between the lines. What your really saying is "what has my union done for me lately?"
To much anymore, our brothers want to gripe about things that our wrong with our leadership, yet they do nothing more with the union than pay there dues. If you don't like what's going on then what are you doing to change that? Do you go to your monthly meetings? Are you a steward and lead by good example? Have you ever thought of becoming more involved with your local than what you are?
I'm not meaning to make accusations towards you, or make you angry, all I'm getting at is what are you doing to make your union better?

And yes, please keep in mind, anything that comes from the company, was negotiated for you by your union.

RealPerson

Ok.
And here in lies the problem with the membership now days. I can read between the lines. What your really saying is "what has my union done for me lately?"
To much anymore, our brothers want to gripe about things that our wrong with our leadership, yet they do nothing more with the union than pay there dues. If you don't like what's going on then what are you doing to change that? Do you go to your monthly meetings? Are you a steward and lead by good example? Have you ever thought of becoming more involved with your local than what you are?
I'm not meaning to make accusations towards you, or make you angry, all I'm getting at is what are you doing to make your union better?

And yes, please keep in mind, anything that comes from the company, was negotiated for you by your union.

No worries, I am just pointing out the facts from different views.

You know as well as I do, that Most people will mostly complain and do not like change.

I have way to much on my plate to get involved for other peoples interests, other than what I can do while on the clock.

Right, what have they done for me Lately. But the bigger picture for me is, the things people say and believe.

You know for YEARS I thought and it is pressured that if you are not in the union, you are not paying towards your pension or health benefits... Union doesn't like this known.. When I found out, I asked MANY people and they said I was wrong. If you check most of my first posts on this message board it is asking that exact question, and finally was told...

Then like you and others are saying, pay dues for what the Union has WON, again, well honestly I would rather take my $17-$22 per hour that UPS pays the Union on ME, and give up that stuff, and buy my own.

I believe in what a Union is for, I just believe it is time for the Leaders from the TOP down to the Locals to Get to WORK.. Maybe they are the ones reaping the benefits gathered over the years by the Workers.......

I have been in the union 19 years next week, in a RTW state.

Have an awesome day and stay safe!

WESLA

It is what it is
No worries, I am just pointing out the facts from different views.

You know as well as I do, that Most people will mostly complain and do not like change.

I have way to much on my plate to get involved for other peoples interests, other than what I can do while on the clock.

Right, what have they done for me Lately. But the bigger picture for me is, the things people say and believe.

You know for YEARS I thought and it is pressured that if you are not in the union, you are not paying towards your pension or health benefits... Union doesn't like this known.. When I found out, I asked MANY people and they said I was wrong. If you check most of my first posts on this message board it is asking that exact question, and finally was told...

Then like you and others are saying, pay dues for what the Union has WON, again, well honestly I would rather take my $17-$22 per hour that UPS pays the Union on ME, and give up that stuff, and buy my own.

I believe in what a Union is for, I just believe it is time for the Leaders from the TOP down to the Locals to Get to WORK.. Maybe they are the ones reaping the benefits gathered over the years by the Workers.......

I have been in the union 19 years next week, in a RTW state.

Have an awesome day and stay safe!

Ok cool, I can handle that.
I'm not mad at your opinion, I wouldn't go so far as to say its facts though.

In never never land, I would might even go along with ups just paying me what they pay the teamsters. Yea that'd be great! I could just negotiate things for myself.
But then again, I know you know this, that's unrealistic. If you'd like to know what ups is like without the teamsters, then go work for fed ex.
Or just talk to a fed ex driver next time you see em at the gas station. Invite them out to drink a beer with you, and compare their work environment, pay, benefits, and retirement with yours.

And there is something we can both agree on. "I believe in what a union is for."

I ask again. In your 19 years as a teamster what have you done to change what you don't like other than just voting? The bigger picture is what have you done for them.

My intentions aren't to make you mad realperson, or say your wrong or anything of that nature.
We work at the same company, are brothers in the same union and are just voicing our opinions.

WESLA

It is what it is
This is somewhat off subject but...
A lot of people want to be mad at unions because they say they have a political agenda.
Yet most people want to be blind to the fact that big corporations have their political agendas as well.

Everyone_has_a_Price

Union should get more involved in RTW states. You cant just say ,hey you need to join the union here,. For the first year i did not know about meeting or the structure of the union. And I was at local 63 in ont ca ya Randy C's local

island1fox

When did he write that???

realperson'

Hoffa sent that letter way too late. People who voted for and supported Obama did not educate themselves on the real danger of Obamacare. They believed "someone" else will pay for it ---not the union middle class working man.:wink2:

During the UPS negotiations Hoffa and Hall were EDUCATED they now realize that Obama was truly promising "redistribution of wealth" ---redistribute the working man's wealth --to give to all the people in the "non working wagon" --even those that are too lazy to unload a feeder or pull a load at UPS.:sick:

Too little --too late -welcome to Obamaland --the new normal --welcome to "Teamcare" --in the very near future will be "taxed" as salary --also large deuctions and large co-pays for those who work.

If you do not work --"free" Obamacare ---that the working middle class will pay for. Perfect "REDISTRIBUTION"

The kool aid ----I am kool --liberal --uneducated --low informed or no voter better wake up real soon !!

preload1

As a fiscally conservative American I find this letter amusing that the Teamster's President, America's largest labor union, was buffaloed by a community organizing, Chicago street thug, America hating, indoctrinated Communist/Marxist bi-sexual like obama. Sounds to me like it wasn't just the low information voters who where duped into believing this no good liberal obama . I can still see the "Teamsters for Obama" jackets the union leaders wore in 2008. You did this to yourselves.
Now remember. When in training for your next job.... make sure you put extra napkins in the bag when the customer orders large fries.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
As a fiscally conservative American I find this letter amusing that the Teamster's President, America's largest labor union, was buffaloed by a community organizing, Chicago street thug, America hating, indoctrinated Communist/Marxist bi-sexual like obama. Sounds to me like it wasn't just the low information voters who where duped into believing this no good liberal obama . I can still see the "Teamsters for Obama" jackets the union leaders wore in 2008. You did this to yourselves.
Now remember. When in training for your next job.... make sure you put extra napkins in the bag when the customer orders large fries.

Oh man, you still think Obama is a communist. That's ****ing rich. Obama is a moderate Republican/corporate neo-liberal and nothing more; I know these are difficult concepts so feel free to Google them.

As an aside: I get the 'street thug' and the 'communist' slurs. You're probably an angry white reactionary without much book learnin' that's all up in arms about the gays gettin' married and the legal pot and the illegal immigrants that "terk' our johbs." I even get the 'bi-sexual' bull**** because you're a raging homophobe and likely a bully at heart that feels the need to degrade other groups to make yourself feel better while secretly desiring some hot truck stop action. Trust me, I'm familiar with your kind and I see this every day.

But what's so terrible about someone being a "community organizer"? Should I just lump it in with the whole "Marxist/Communist" thing?

Inthegame

Oh man, you still think Obama is a communist. That's ****ing rich. Obama is a moderate Republican/corporate neo-liberal and nothing more; I know these are difficult concepts so feel free to Google them.

As an aside: I get the 'street thug' and the 'communist' slurs. You're probably an angry white reactionary without much book learnin' that's all up in arms about the gays gettin' married and the legal pot and the illegal immigrants that "terk' our johbs." I even get the 'bi-sexual' bull**** because you're a raging homophobe and likely a bully at heart that feels the need to degrade other groups to make yourself feel better while secretly desiring some hot truck stop action. Trust me, I'm familiar with your kind and I see this every day.

But what's so terrible about someone being a "community organizer"? Should I just lump it in with the whole "Marxist/Communist" thing?
Now that's my Brother!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

He's bisexual too?

I had heard hermaphrodite but not bisexual.