Holding on to yesterday

old levi's

blank space
How about pulling into a gas station and a bell would ring. Then someone would come out, fill your tank,check the oil, wash the windshield,take your payment and return with your change. Yes, young people, that's the way it used to be.

Remember when individual pieces of everyday china would come inside of large boxes of dry laundry detergent. Just stuck down in the soap.

Green Stamps

Remember when $80 worth of groceries would not have fit into a station wagon.

Remember station wagons?

BigBrownSanta

How about pulling into a gas station and a bell would ring. Then someone would come out, fill your tank,check the oil, wash the windshield,take your payment and return with your change. Yes, young people, that's the way it used to be.

I've heard rumors of this practice.

Remember when individual pieces of everyday china would come inside of large boxes of dry laundry detergent. Just stuck down in the soap.

Don't remember this.

Green Stamps

S&H green stamps. :happy2:

Remember when $80 worth of groceries would not have fit into a station wagon.

Remember station wagons?

They still have these, except they shortened the wheel base, made them 4-wheel drive and call them SUV's.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Remember when we didnt deliver over 70's?

Remember when everyone made the same amount of money, ptime and fulltime?

Remember delivering in a horse and buggy? Okay this ones for rod!

Last edited:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I remember when my mom after washing clothes took everything outside to hang it on a line to dry. When dryed some of those pants could stand up by itself.

P

pickup

Remember when we didnt deliver over 70's?

Remember when everyone made the same amount of money, ptime and fulltime?

Remember delivering in a horse and buggy? Okay this ones for rod!

oh boy, you went over a line I didn't want to go over with that horse and buggy comment towards rod. When I mentioned my vic 20 (which was a computer and the forerunner to the maybe more familiar commodore 64 by same company), I was going to mention that Rod could probably top me by bringing up memories of Eniac (which I think came into working existence in the early 40's) .
Eniac was essentially the first fully electronic computer and it dovetails with this thread with sayings of yesterdays except this saying still remains with us today. (Gotta get the bugs out of the system). The Eniac computer used a mass array of light bulbs (essentially), a lit one was the equivalent to a 1 in our binary computer system. Unlit one was equivalent to a zero. And/or these bulbs were used as transistors (before the integrated silicon chips that made transistorized portable radios possible). Someone may have to correct me as the history of the computer is blurred in my mind.

This light bulb system was also used for transistors in our early televisions. Remember the glows from the tubes in our televison? Anyway, the Eniac system generated a lot of heat and this is before the days of mass air conditioning. The engineers brought in cool air from the outside through windows . Even with the screens, gnats got through and were attracted to lights of the bulbs and got into the systems and got onto the metal contacts shorting that part of the system. Before running the computer for the work it needed to do, the programmers ran test equations (to which they already knew the answers) to see if the system was running right. If the answers came out wrong, more often than not, it was due to bugs that got into the system and now they had to manually get them out. So there!