How Bad Will Peak Be?

Realistically, How Bad Will Peak Be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MAKAVELI

UPS absolutely does have a staffing problem. Year round. I don't know how it compares to FedEx's problems but it is an issue.
It doesn't compare at all. Having two separate opco systems delivering to the same customers and adding a second sort to the Express system has multiplied staffing issues by 10x.

bacha29

It doesn't compare at all. Having two separate opco systems delivering to the same customers and adding a second sort to the Express system has multiplied staffing issues by 10x.
Reaffirms what you, I and others have said all along. It's a very poor setup that will struggle to keep pace with UPS and Amazon. All have problems but from a structural perspective FDX is in the greatest need of a complete redesign.

bacha29

Kinda like the 10 step program that is dependent on market conditions... Give me a freaking break. you are nothing more than a corp. apologist
Glad to see that you've handed off the corporate apologist duties to Dano. Pretty hard job to do when you're running on flashlight batteries and living in a tent that's closer to Antarctica than it is to Memphis. Don't worry....he can handle it.

Aquaman

Reaffirms what you, I and others have said all along. It's a very poor setup that will struggle to keep pace with UPS and Amazon. All have problems but from a structural perspective FDX is in the greatest need of a complete redesign.
It’s true. FedEx currently functions under a ground design that works. And an Express design that is too expensive. Amazon is doing great so far due to the ability to completely rent out cargo ships and send them to whatever port has the least wait time. They also have the logistical advantage of only delivering their own freight. I’ve bought things online Christmas shopping and had them arrive from all the major players. Amazon is by far doing the best. What you’re going to find, is that Amazons delivery service is going to deter people from buying from places who use FedEx/UPS. Especially during the holidays. Order from Amazon and get your order in 2 days? Or order from Wal-Mart and roll the dice with FedEx/UPS? In an online shopping war… the site with their OWN delivery service is going put EVERYONE out of business.

Working4the1%

It’s true. FedEx currently functions under a ground design that works. And an Express design that is too expensive. Amazon is doing great so far due to the ability to completely rent out cargo ships and send them to whatever port has the least wait time. They also have the logistical advantage of only delivering their own freight. I’ve bought things online Christmas shopping and had them arrive from all the major players. Amazon is by far doing the best. What you’re going to find, is that Amazons delivery service is going to deter people from buying from places who use FedEx/UPS. Especially during the holidays. Order from Amazon and get your order in 2 days? Or order from Wal-Mart and roll the dice with FedEx/UPS? In an online shopping war… the site with their OWN delivery service is going put EVERYONE out of business.
UPS guy $41 FedEx Expreas$30 Amazon guy $17..Amazon will have difficulty retaining employees in a challenging time of hiring people

zeev

Amazon’s advantage is your package is already at the destination wharehouse . FedEx my location now has hiring lawn signs a little late.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's more than a month ago. Secondly that's seasonal not regular employees. We are short on both. FedEx is the one with major service issues not UPS. Ttku son.....
So UPS isn't short any employees if you ignore all the unfilled openings! GREAT!

59 Dano

UPS guy tells you UPS has a staffing problem and you're telling him they don't, because it's not your idea of a staffing problem and second sort opco same customer something something!!!

59 Dano

They also have the logistical advantage of only delivering their own freight.
This is why comparing Amazon to UPS/FedEx is ridiculous.

Amazon is a seller who took orders and shipped them via UPS, FedEx, the USPS, Lasership, and others. They looked at how much they were spending to ship their own product and figured they could do much of it themselves, with more control over the process, for the same amount or less.

They are not in the same business as we are.

rod

Retired 22 years
That was 2 Cars ago. I said I had Z28 in the past. I have a RS, with AIR and AUTOMATIC, 2 non Z options and a 70 Monte Carlo. Classic cars are like printing money. Prices are sky rocking and you make money hand over fist turning them. . Heading to Ga. this week to pu another one. Most likely it will be gone by New Years. TTKU fella.

Quote Reply
I watching the Mecum Kansas City auction this morning and there was a BEAUTIFUL 1941 Willys with the BIG blown motor in it that went for $90,000. They said who ever built it probably had over $200,000 into it. That kinda shoots your good investment theory.

Basement Dweller

Peak has been so-so at the Indy Hub. The biggest difference is that we're not getting slammed by tens of thousands of rollover. It's keep to a miniumn. I guess Freddy's shipment of Somali refugees came early this year and they put their butts on the input line. I'm so sick of 1-2 hour delayed sorts because of input's slow ass. Thursday I managed to get done before 5 PM, the first time on for a normal sort in 8 months. Things are only going smooth because the weather has been pretty mild and clear. All those temps are gone at the first of the new year and it's back to 50% staffing.

falcon back

I watching the Mecum Kansas City auction this morning and there was a BEAUTIFUL 1941 Willys with the BIG blown motor in it that went for $90,000. They said who ever built it probably had over $200,000 into it. That kinda shoots your good investment theory.
If you knew anything about classic cars, you would know the best investment part is buying the car from the guy that spent the $ to build the car, or one of the owners after that. Once the car turns over a few times, the price stabilizes and then you hunt for the seller that needs a quick sale. Divorce, lost interest, needs capital for another car, building a home or business, etc. I know nothing about a Willys, I stick with what I know. 1st and 2nd generations Camaros and an occasional Nova or Chevelle. I made a trip to Atlanta last week to buy a nice 69 Camaro from a man that wanted to start a business and needed some cash. I left early morning and got home late that night and delivered the car to a buyer that netted me a few $k. You don't buy a car just to be buying, it's just like everything else, buy low, sell high.

P.S. That man overspent if he spent over 200k building that Willys. Cars in that price range are usually rare and highly desirable factory cars. Yenko's, Shelby's, Cuda's, Roadrunners. Resto-mods and highly customized cars are so taste specific, return on investment is hard to achieve.
Cars are an EXCELLENT investment if bought correctly.

Aquaman

This is why comparing Amazon to UPS/FedEx is ridiculous.

Amazon is a seller who took orders and shipped them via UPS, FedEx, the USPS, Lasership, and others. They looked at how much they were spending to ship their own product and figured they could do much of it themselves, with more control over the process, for the same amount or less.

They are not in the same business as we are.
Very true. It’s not the same business. But the ease of use and consistency at which they can get you almost anything you want in 2 days is a threat to FedEx/UPS…. If everyone buys what they need from Amazon. Nobody buys from the UPS/FedEx shippers. FedEx and UPS need people to shop in other places. And Amazon is making it harder and harder to not use them for everything.

59 Dano

Very true. It’s not the same business. But the ease of use and consistency at which they can get you almost anything you want in 2 days is a threat to FedEx/UPS…. If everyone buys what they need from Amazon. Nobody buys from the UPS/FedEx shippers. FedEx and UPS need people to shop in other places. And Amazon is making it harder and harder to not use them for everything.
FedEx and UPS volumes are growing just as Amazon's is. It's a stretch to consider Amazon as a threat if they aren't in the same business.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you knew anything about classic cars, you would know the best investment part is buying the car from the guy that spent the $ to build the car, or one of the owners after that. Once the car turns over a few times, the price stabilizes and then you hunt for the seller that needs a quick sale. Divorce, lost interest, needs capital for another car, building a home or business, etc. I know nothing about a Willys, I stick with what I know. 1st and 2nd generations Camaros and an occasional Nova or Chevelle. I made a trip to Atlanta last week to buy a nice 69 Camaro from a man that wanted to start a business and needed some cash. I left early morning and got home late that night and delivered the car to a buyer that netted me a few $k. You don't buy a car just to be buying, it's just like everything else, buy low, sell high.

P.S. That man overspent if he spent over 200k building that Willys. Cars in that price range are usually rare and highly desirable factory cars. Yenko's, Shelby's, Cuda's, Roadrunners. Resto-mods and highly customized cars are so taste specific, return on investment is hard to achieve.
The car market goes up and down. A couple years ago older Broncos (66 to76 --first generation)) were all the rage. Good ones were going for anywhere from $75,000 to $125,00 at Barret-Jackson and Mecum. The most they got out of one at this years KC Mecum auction was $48,000. Real estate is a better investment (except California--that market is about to implode)

rod

Retired 22 years

265706535_10158138314781850_2781873955704052960_n.jpg