How do you beat the heat?

It was the hottest day I've seen in years here today.My t shirt was soaked from about 09:45
till 19:15 when I punched out.It almost killed me walking into the fridge at a produce distributor.
Ya know,for me,thats the killer,hot cold hot cold all day long.
It screws up my lungs.I usually get chest colds after a brutally hot week.
One driver told me today he thought he was gonna die 3 times today.
But he got through it.
This day was hot. I was so mad that I was off today I only drank 26 beers................Im going for the full 30 pack tomorrow!!

J

jibbs

Damn.... mid-80's by 7am this morning.

...NOW it's feeling about as bad as this time last year.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Straight from the Putrid Bowels of Hell

So its 100 outside and your job is to prune bushes out in this field.

This is the only "bathroom" within half a mile. At first glance it appears to be a run-of-the-mill chemical toilet.... but its not. It is better known as Satans Oven.

I made the mistake once of having to use this thing out of desperation on a 100 degree day and I found out the hard way that it is nothing but a blue plastic portal to the Putrid Bowels of Hell. It used to be a chemical toilet...but the farmer simply cut the bottom out of the tank and placed it over a 2' deep hole in the ground. So its nothing but an outhouse never gets emptied, the waste simply piles up until summer ends and the unit is no longer used, then over the fall and winter it decomposes to make room for next summers droppings.

If its 100 outside its got to be 130 in that little hellbox, and the stench will literally make you want to vomit. If you think the back of a package car is bad, try having a seat in Satans Oven and you wil quickly learn the meaning of the word "gratitude" when you realize that, unlike the people who work in that field, you have the ability to drive away.

air_dr

This guy :wave:

When I was on preload I had a pair of shorts that ripped out the back pocket. Now I was wear boxers so I was still covered, but it happened to be the day the DM was taking a tour of the facility in the morning. I was told not to wear them anymore because it was showing too much, though I was still completely covered.
I wonder if anyone would have said anything if your shorts weren't ripped, but you let them sag? LOL :)

air_dr

Is there anyone around here working in like Florida or Texas? Please jump into this conversation and give us your insights. Those are places where you really have to get used to working in heat (and humidity) for a good part of the year.

oldngray

nowhere special
It was hotter on the east coast than in Texas today, And Texas is humid around Houston but definitely dry heat in west Texas.

air_dr

This time of year, as I am driving by the farms when its 100 degrees outside, all I have to do is just look out the window at the Hispanics busting their asses in the fields doing the stoop labor that all the spoiled suburban teenage kids around here are too damn lazy to do any more, and all of a sudden the fact that I am sweating my ass off in that hot dusty truck just doesnt seem to bother me quite so much. My guess...is that none of the men and women I see out there pruning the grapes or picking the berries are going to have a whole lot of sympathy for me if I started bitching to them about how hot it gets in the back of the truck. I would also guess that every one of them would be quite happy to trade jobs with me if given the chance. So instead of complaining, I just keep a moist towel wrapped around my neck, drink plenty of ice water, and deal with it.
I hear you, but don't forget the OP and the main point of this thread: It WASN'T a whining session

We are supposed to have a heatwave here this week. Last week was pretty bad as well. I am a preloader (sunrise shift) and even though it's usually mild during that time, the humidity makes me sweat gallons. Aside from staying hydrated, is there anything else you guys do to beat the heat and stay more comfortable? I've been wearing Under Armour shirts and shorts (breathable, sweat-wicking) but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Those are very fair questions and I think quite a few people gave some good answers about what has worked for them. I hope our OP got some helpful tips. Like I said in my last post, I wish some Florida or Texas UPSers would speak up.

Notcool

I don't see the big deal. It gets hot like this every year. Well, atleast in NC. Here the humidity is what sucks. I get to work around 6pm. The trailers have been shut all day. When you open the doors, you literally can't breath.

air_dr

It was hotter on the east coast than in Texas today, And Texas is humid around Houston but definitely dry heat in west Texas.
But I figure EAST Texans would be experts since its usually hotter there than the east coast. Anybody from the Sweetwater hub in Houston?

air_dr

I don't see the big deal. It gets hot like this every year. Well, atleast in NC. Here the humidity is what sucks. I get to work around 6pm. The trailers have been shut all day. When you open the doors, you literally can't breath.
ARGH! I don't even know why I'm posting here since I didn't start this thread.

To me it is understandably a "big deal" to someone who is new to UPS.

Going back to the OP, for a rookie to ask what, if anything, you can do to make your life working inside at UPS more bearable is a very reasonable question in my mind.

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll
here in San Diego the heat wave is killing me, its currently 77, but we reached 82 earlier.I have to sleep with the fan on all night. just stay hydrated guys

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
here in San Diego the heat wave is killing me, its currently 77, but we reached 82 earlier.I have to sleep with the fan on all night. just stay hydrated guys

How do you manage to do that?

942373_10151644910128880_933965565_n.jpg

(Was your other account banned or something?)
942373_10151644910128880_933965565_n.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've worked here for 20 years and driving for 17 years and this is the first day I ever even considered calling it in. I was literally sick to my stomach in the morning. Don't get me wrong, we've had days just as hot and brutal but not 4 days straight. And tomorrow is still supposed to be bad. Can't wait till the rain comes Saturday so I can get a nice cooler round of golf in on Sunday.

​one more day...

I've worked here for 20 years and driving for 17 years and this is the first day I ever even considered calling it in. I was literally sick to my stomach in the morning. Don't get me wrong, we've had days just as hot and brutal but not 4 days straight. And tomorrow is still supposed to be bad. Can't wait till the rain comes Saturday so I can get a nice cooler round of golf in on Sunday.

​one more day...
Or a sickday means no more days!!!!...LOL