How do you spend your lunch break?

browniehound

Sometimes I can get 30 stops off during my lunch. My sup gives me a pat on the back, he says it really helps his groups stats for the day.

Nice post Over, but its for this reason and this reason only that I think the hour lunch is a VERY bad idea for UPS drivers. Its also a GREAT idea for UPS and its management team in most cases.

See, the nature of our job and human nature in general will make some drivers run off 30 stops during lunch. Take a poor cover driver for instance. He is thrown on a route he hasn't done and months and is over-dispatched by 20 stops on a Friday. Do you really think he is going to take his entire 60 minute lunch and 2-10 minute breaks? The answer is no, never, not in this lifetime! When he gets back to the center at 20:00 he is giving his hour up to UPS.

Then you have the drivers who intend to take their hour after the route is done. They have good intentions, but after 20-30 minutes of sitting by themselves in a package car many just bring it in and give up about 30 minutes or so.

Next, we have the small percentage of drivers who just blow off lunch entirely to finish as early as possible. These drivers don't care about the money or working for free. They just want to get done.

Then, we have the drivers who take their lunch in the middle of the day (usually an hour before their PU's start) but UPS still gets the upper hand here. UPS has to start us before 9AM for us to make our airs and keep us until 1800-1830 to make pick-up service to our most important customers. Without the hour lunch they have to pay us OT at 430. With the hour lunch, they don't have to pay OT until 530.

If I'm wrong, why all the fuss and the warning letter from the center manager because I didn't put 1 hour of lunch time in the DIAD that I didn't take when I got back to the center at 1930 on a Friday? I'll tell you why: They want the hour for free if they can get it!

They force the hour lunch because it benefits them. Now, because of the lawsuit they send us messages on the DIAD saying : "please remember to put an hour of lunch in the DIAD". Its never : "please remember to take your hour lunch between the 4th and 5th hour"! If UPS wasn't making money off on the hour they wouldn't enforce it so heavily.

I'm the driver who likes to take 2-10 minute breaks to eat and save the hour(I would actually love to skip it and get paid for it instead!) for the end. Until 2/10 I would take lunch with 2 other drivers and pass the time that way.

As of 2/10 I got a new route and am by myself for lunch and it can become miserable! So, to MAKE myself take the hour, I got to my first pick-up an hour early and shoot the crap with them for an hour. Hey, it works, but we shouldn't have to resort to this to get out rightfull pay. No?

Some of the office girls ask why I am there and I tell them my route is so light and nothing left to do instead of explaining the lunch hour to them. Its something most people in the real world don't understand, LOL!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I pull into the same pizza shop/italian restaurant every day and sit on my duff for 1 hour and eat my lunch and read the paper and so the Jumble and Sudoku and sometimes the NY Times Crossword (mainly in the beginning of the week since it get harder as the week goes on)..

Kman845

Here in sunny California, we're mandated to take an unpaid 30 min lunch between our 4th and 5th hour. We also get two 15 min paid breaks, and an additional 10 min break if we work over ten hours.

I spend the first 10 mins on my lunch eating my brown-bagged sandwich, and the remaining 20 napping on the shelf of my package car.

The other paid breaks I ALWAYS take. ALWAYS. Usually bunch them together before I return to building at end of day. If it's Friday and I've got something THAT important to do after work, I'd have already banged in.... :wink2:

K

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nice post Over, but its for this reason and this reason only that I think the hour lunch is a VERY bad idea for UPS drivers. Its also a GREAT idea for UPS and its management team in most cases.

See, the nature of our job and human nature in general will make some drivers run off 30 stops during lunch. Take a poor cover driver for instance. He is thrown on a route he hasn't done and months and is over-dispatched by 20 stops on a Friday. Do you really think he is going to take his entire 60 minute lunch and 2-10 minute breaks? The answer is no, never, not in this lifetime! When he gets back to the center at 20:00 he is giving his hour up to UPS.

Then you have the drivers who intend to take their hour after the route is done. They have good intentions, but after 20-30 minutes of sitting by themselves in a package car many just bring it in and give up about 30 minutes or so.

Next, we have the small percentage of drivers who just blow off lunch entirely to finish as early as possible. These drivers don't care about the money or working for free. They just want to get done.

Then, we have the drivers who take their lunch in the middle of the day (usually an hour before their PU's start) but UPS still gets the upper hand here. UPS has to start us before 9AM for us to make our airs and keep us until 1800-1830 to make pick-up service to our most important customers. Without the hour lunch they have to pay us OT at 430. With the hour lunch, they don't have to pay OT until 530.

If I'm wrong, why all the fuss and the warning letter from the center manager because I didn't put 1 hour of lunch time in the DIAD that I didn't take when I got back to the center at 1930 on a Friday? I'll tell you why: They want the hour for free if they can get it!

They force the hour lunch because it benefits them. Now, because of the lawsuit they send us messages on the DIAD saying : "please remember to put an hour of lunch in the DIAD". Its never : "please remember to take your hour lunch between the 4th and 5th hour"! If UPS wasn't making money off on the hour they wouldn't enforce it so heavily.

I'm the driver who likes to take 2-10 minute breaks to eat and save the hour(I would actually love to skip it and get paid for it instead!) for the end. Until 2/10 I would take lunch with 2 other drivers and pass the time that way.

As of 2/10 I got a new route and am by myself for lunch and it can become miserable! So, to MAKE myself take the hour, I got to my first pick-up an hour early and shoot the crap with them for an hour. Hey, it works, but we shouldn't have to resort to this to get out rightfull pay. No?

Some of the office girls ask why I am there and I tell them my route is so light and nothing left to do instead of explaining the lunch hour to them. Its something most people in the real world don't understand, LOL!

Last week you said you may want to be one of them, putting in your letter and (in your example) coercing and cheating employees. Still feel the same?

browniehound

Last week you said you may want to be one of them, putting in your letter and (in your example) coercing and cheating employees. Still feel the same?

Sleeve, you must have me mixed up with someone else because I never said that. The thought of going into management has never crossed my mind and would never write that I would want to coerce and cheat employees. Can you show me the quote? Honestly, I must have been delerious if you can show me I wrote that?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, you must have me mixed up with someone else because I never said that. The thought of going into management has never crossed my mind and would never write that I would want to coerce and cheat employees. Can you show me the quote? Honestly, I must have been delerious if you can show me I wrote that?

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/panel-interview-scenarios-157872/index2.html

Maybe I misconstrued your posts. You seem to show plenty of interest in a few of posts. I never daydream at work, fantasizing about being a manager with this company! everyone's different though :peaceful:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That's just sleeve so don't take it seriously. He likes to twist and play with others words and keep in mind that he is an Anti-SOCKS.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's just sleeve so don't take it seriously. He likes to twist and play with others words and keep in mind that he is an Anti-SOCKS.

I admit to possibly misconstruing his point of- wanting to be promoted, however not wanting to be promoted into package operations. You may be right in other cases, however not in this case.

P.S. Bring back SOCKS.

bigbrownhen

I have a few shade trees on route that I can sit under and read the paper. It is 30-40 minutes of peace and quiet that I get in my day. I don't look at or think about the brown boxes in the back of my truck. I will occasionally get a customer who knows my habits and meet me to get a package, but that is ok with me, I make sure the time is taken correctly.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here in sunny California, we're mandated to take an unpaid 30 min lunch between our 4th and 5th hour. We also get two 15 min paid breaks, and an additional 10 min break if we work over ten hours.

I spend the first 10 mins on my lunch eating my brown-bagged sandwich, and the remaining 20 napping on the shelf of my package car.

The other paid breaks I ALWAYS take. ALWAYS. Usually bunch them together before I return to building at end of day. If it's Friday and I've got something THAT important to do after work, I'd have already banged in.... :wink2:

K

Are in the area that has their DIADs freeze during breaks? I wish we had that here.

NHDRVR

I take my hour and twenty with the wife and kids. Their supper time is my lunch so I am thankful that I am able to see them. I don't know if any of you have heard but we drivers tend to get home a little after 5 in the late afternoon so I want to see my family when it's possible.

How cool would it be to have UPS dispatch us so Mon - Fri we could see our loved ones......

Sorry, I started giggling as I was typing it....

CustomerConcern

"Sometimes I can get 30 stops off during my lunch. My sup gives me a pat on the back, he says it really helps his groups stats for the day."
"I'm trying to get some of the other guys to do it too. Then UPS could save money by not having to put so many routes in. "

Where the hell is the ignore button....

Ghost in the Darkness

I bet half of the people that responded don't even take their full lunch. Or a lunch at all.

I always take both lunch and break unless they agree to pay me for lunch in return for doing other work for them. I won't work for free or donate time though. I usually have my PSP with me with some games... my phone to surf the net... and my radio & ipod listening to the Stern Show or the Herd or whatever else I want. If I am on the home route then I just go home and do stuff... most of the time I'm not. At Christmas time I might bring a change of clothes and do some Christmas shopping at the end of the day. At some point during peak they stop caring if we take lunch so most of us take 1-5 minutes or so and make them pay us the rest.