How do you survive the summer while working?

N

No namer

I work for FedEx Express in Northern WI. I lucked out. They just replaced my W700 for a new one with AC. wooohoooo It even has vents for the cargo area. Someone in Memphis certainly wised up. Hopefully this is a trend.

DS

Fenderbender
I work for FedEx Express in Northern WI. I lucked out. They just replaced my W700 for a new one with AC. wooohoooo It even has vents for the cargo area. Someone in Memphis certainly wised up. Hopefully this is a trend.
thanks for sharing,when we buy you out you can do my resi`s in my 1985 p8...just kidding...why does WI. get the
trucks that they need in Florida?

Overpaid Union Thug

To fight the heat I carry a towel to whipe off the sweat and keep my cooler filled with ice and water and/or Gatorade. I drink it whenever I can. Even if I'm not thirsty. When I was going through basic training in San Antonio we were told we had to drink 10-12 canteens of water each day. That means drinking even when we weren't thirsty. We were told (this is kinda gross so people with a weak stomach should stop reading here) that the brighter our urine was the more dehydrated we were. We were told that "clear piss is good...flouresant piss is bad." We were also told that if we didn't "have to go" at least three times every 6 hours then that meant we were getting dehydrated.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I actually heard that I think at a driver pcm when I was a preloader. Whenever you are yellow, youre getting in trouble, it should be clear and not much odor. For those with weak stomaches:w00t:dont read this, but its a good tool on hot days. Good advice BAU!!! 10 stars:thumbup1:

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
To fight the heat I carry a towel to whipe off the sweat and keep my cooler filled with ice and water and/or Gatorade. I drink it whenever I can. Even if I'm not thirsty. When I was going through basic training in San Antonio we were told we had to drink 10-12 canteens of water each day. That means drinking even when we weren't thirsty. We were told (this is kinda gross so people with a weak stomach should stop reading here) that the brighter our urine was the more dehydrated we were. We were told that "clear piss is good...flouresant piss is bad." We were also told that if we didn't "have to go" at least three times every 6 hours then that meant we were getting dehydrated.

I was told that too. A bodybuilder friend of mine told me to drink a minimum of 1 oz of water per pound of body weight per day. You can never drink too much water. Most people are dehydrated and don't even know it.

aspenleaf

You can drink too much water! As a few have stated drinking something with electrolytes (such as Gatorade) will replace the sodium you have sweated out. If you aren’t a big fan of sports drinks you can also replace the salt by drinking fruit juice, eating soft fruits or vegetables Hyponatremia is what happens (also known as water intoxication).

You also don’t want your urine to look clear; a light yellow (kind of like lemonade) is better. If your urine is too clear it means too much water; too dark is a sign of dehydration.

If you are eating and drinking water throughout the day you should be fine. People get into trouble when they just drink water (and usually they drink a lot in a very short period of time) and don’t replace the salt they have lost.

Dehydration Symptoms
Dizziness
Headache
Dark Urine (may have a strong odor)
Inability to urinate
Dry mouth and nose
Weakness
Nausea and vomiting

Heat Exhaustion (if this is not treated it can lead to Heat Stroke)
Weakness
Dizziness
Warm, moist, pale skin
Nausea and vomiting

Hyponatremia (also known as Water Intoxication)
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea
Muscle cramps
Slurred speech
Confusion
Loss of consciousness
Seizures in severe cases

There are a lot of web sites you can check out on these topics. I got most of my information from my nursing text books (and class notes). Another good source is this site: http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/faculty/pbird/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm

Just be smart this summer and stay safe!:thumbup1:

Overpaid Union Thug

That is why I pack water and gatorade. It balances out. When I used to just pack water I would drink the hell out of it and start feeling fatigue at the end of the day. Plus I'd drink too much. When I switched to the water/Gatorade mix I noticed I wasn't feeling over worked anymore. Also noticed that I actually drank a little less but was just as hydrated as if I had drank more water.

HazMatMan

I work on the inside where it is still hot and muggy. Water is the best thing for you.. We have water fountains and ice machines too (brilliant idea to whoever!!) bring a large coffee mug with a cover.. Keep drinking, keep refilling...And remember, work smarter not harder.

aspenleaf

Too much water??? I can't believe it... But I believe you if you say so, just hard to believe....

It can be done. In the normal course of a day you are not really in danger. You have to drink a lot of water in a short period of time. Otherwise you are most likely eating food and drinking other things and will be fine. It is not like people are dropping dead every day from too much water. It is just something to be aware of.

The first time someone told me I could die if I drank too much water I laughed at them. I thought it was some urban legand. Did you hear of that lady who died from it from a radio contest? You can google it and read all about it.

Has anyone tried those cooling things you put around your neck? I have seen them in stores and wondered if they worked. I can understand the logic behind them but I never think to buy one.

trickpony1

This is probably gonna throw everyone for a loop but........
type "high fructose corn syrup" into your favorite search engine. Some people believe it is a cheap sweetener that is very difficult for the human body to digest. It is the second or third most abundant ingredient in most sports drinks.
An alternative can be purchased at most health food stores. An electrolyte powder in small pouches is available that can be mixed with water. It has no sugar, high fructose corn syrup or sucrose syrup. It has what you need and doesn't have what you don't need.
A relative is a nurse with an emphasis on nutrition.

HazMatMan

You can drink too much water! As a few have stated drinking something with electrolytes (such as Gatorade) will replace the sodium you have sweated out. If you aren’t a big fan of sports drinks you can also replace the salt by drinking fruit juice, eating soft fruits or vegetables Hyponatremia is what happens (also known as water intoxication).

You also don’t want your urine to look clear; a light yellow (kind of like lemonade) is better. If your urine is too clear it means too much water; too dark is a sign of dehydration.

If you are eating and drinking water throughout the day you should be fine. People get into trouble when they just drink water (and usually they drink a lot in a very short period of time) and don’t replace the salt they have lost.

Dehydration Symptoms
Dizziness
Headache
Dark Urine (may have a strong odor)
Inability to urinate
Dry mouth and nose
Weakness
Nausea and vomiting

Heat Exhaustion (if this is not treated it can lead to Heat Stroke)
Weakness
Dizziness
Warm, moist, pale skin
Nausea and vomiting

Hyponatremia (also known as Water Intoxication)
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea
Muscle cramps
Slurred speech
Confusion
Loss of consciousness
Seizures in severe cases

There are a lot of web sites you can check out on these topics. I got most of my information from my nursing text books (and class notes). Another good source is this site: http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/faculty/pbird/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm

Just be smart this summer and stay safe!:thumbup1:

Very interesting about the water intoxication, I am going to read up on it. But how much water are we talking about in order to get those symptons?? It would have to be an incredible amount I would assume..

Overpaid Union Thug

Very interesting about the water intoxication, I am going to read up on it. But how much water are we talking about in order to get those symptons?? It would have to be an incredible amount I would assume..

We had a guy on reload that drank too much Gatorade and had to go to the hospital. You can drink too much of anything. Including water. Our bodies can only process so much. That's why I keep my cooler full of both water and Gatorade. Drinking both tends to keep me hydrated more than drinking one alone and it seems to keep me from drinking to much.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Remember the radio contest? The lady in San Diego area drank as much water as she could in a very short time....died!

HazMatMan

From what I read about the water intoxication, If you are drinking water over a long period of time (not large amounts in a short time) the chances are slim to none that you can get water intoxication.. It is more likely to happen in infants and athletes..