Questions about calling in sick(PT package loader) Short version in replies

I am usually a full time student(this semester only part time due to money issues/long story) and I have a big family(6) that is very busy(both parents work, I work, Siblings all play sports, and all of them go to different schools). I get sick very easily, and often(every month or so someone else in the family brings something new home :sad2:.

I've had probably around 11-15 missed days(Called in) in the past six months, which is quite a lot apparently. I've had a verbal warning(Because of no doctors note one time when I needed it) about a month or two ago.

I called in last friday because I came down quickly and hard with a stomach bug(along with my whole family :sick:) that was causing me to vomit profusely(wasn't eating and water/gatorade would literally just come up).

I went to the dr today and he suggested I take today off to eat,rest, and get some liquids(and I'm still feeling a little rough, could probably work though) and got a drs note.

Anyways, I call the office and the management guy who addresses this stuff got all butthurt talking about how I call in so often, why am I sick so often, and telling me I gotta do something to be more healthy. I let him know that I'm not trying to be sick, and I am trying to be healthy(I eat well, sleep better than most college students). He then complained about how I did this on my last belt and now on this belt, as if it was related to the belt.

He sounded pretty annoyed by it; however, that's not what I'm really worried about, my union steward who I've talked to a few times(One time for a injury splitting my thumb open on a stupid roller, another for misloading a bag, and about two months ago for absences) and I asked him "Am I good with absences as long as I provide a doctors note" and he said "yes". Is this True?!

How common is it to get in trouble at a hub(that runs 90k-180k) for absences?

I legitamately call in when I feel I am too sick to work(or that I'll get others sick, as I have alread, twice on my new belt in the past two months). Missed a :censored2: ton of days about a month ago because I came in to work feeling under the weather(and it's super cold) and running myself into the ground; ended up getting a ear infection, sinus infection, an eye infection- and after it all cleared up the ear infection came back with vengeance in both ears. Top top it all off, This was the week before and during finals, and I was taking 14 credits(missed almost two weeks).

I called in two times non legitimately during the end of the summer when I was dating a girl and knew I was about to get laid(and I did :wink2:, alot)

I know that management will always try to harass/guilt trip you to try to get you to come in to do light work(I've fallen for that trick a couple times early in the summer/late spring last year with allergies; ended up doing normal work, not getting out early, and closing).

I really want to work, and almost came in today despite my doctors advice; but I think I need to make sure I'm as healthy as possible before going back so I don't get run down(and get sick again).

I can't afford to lose the job, or I'll be in :censored2: creek with school(Got a concussion last year that basically made me school-retarded and caused me to get bad grades, drop a few classes, etc, for a semester, so I lost a lot of scholarships and financial aid because my completion rate was too low despite doing really well last semester, and I got less aid than last year for something my parents forgot to do for me). I'm currently paying for my semester out of pocket and through my tuition reimbursement(I have a 4,000 dollar hold from my last semester, and this semester I have about 3,000 adding to that. SO I really need to keep this job for tuition reimbursement(the literal only reason the school let me take a class this semester) and the pay.

Could use any advice when it comes to calling in too, whether it be how to approach it, who to talk to, or what to do.

oldngray

nowhere special
TLDR.gif

Whoa!

Cliffs notes version please?
haha that was a bit of rant. I've been absent quite a lot, the majority of which is legitamately being sick. Have a big family that is very busy and in contact with a lot of people.

Got a stomach bug last friday pretty suddenly that caused me to vomit profusely, saw a doctor, doctor advised today off, have a doctors note for both days.

Management is annoyed(and annoying) with the absences, previously forgot to bring a doctors note one time and had a verbal warning. Steward said I am good as long as I bring a doctors note. However, I am still concerned, and wondering whether it is completely true. I have missed a :censored2: ton of days.

WorknLateHuh

Whoa!

Cliffs notes version please?

-OP gets sick a lot

-Management doesn't like him being sick a lot (I have no idea why that is)

-One time he got laid (no one cares)

-He got "school-retarded" as a result of a concussion

-Wants to know if it's normal for employees to be absent over 90thousand times

-Wants to know what to do and how to call in sick (don't know why... you must be a pro at it by now)

Last edited:

km3

Show up to work. If they think you're too sick, they'll send you home. If you pass out on the job and get injured, you can collect worker's comp and stay home and study until you're clear.

-OP gets sick a lot

-Management doesn't like him being sick a lot (I have no idea why that is)

-One time he got laid (no one cares)

-Suffered a concussion and got "school-retarded"

-Wants to know if it's normal for employees to be absent over 90thousand times

-Wants to know what to do and how to call in sick (don't know why... you must be a pro at it by now)

Nice! is this your thread? If you're not going to add anything meaningful to the discussion gtfo man, find something better to do with your time.

-I know this isn't a normal amount of absences, but I attend school full time(except this semester)
-have a big family that is busy.
-Not asking what to do, or how to call in sick(for anyone else reading this)
-just asking for advice/tips when it comes to approaching situations like this in the similar.
- Most people working here aren't attending school full time
- I get sick often, I just do
- Added the getting laid part just to explain that I only abused the call in twice and within good reason, not trying to get a pat on the back for it on the internet, that's what my friends are for

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I am usually a full time student(this semester only part time due to money issues/long story) and I have a big family(6) that is very busy(both parents work, I work, Siblings all play sports, and all of them go to different schools). I get sick very easily, and often(every month or so someone else in the family brings something new home :sad2:.

I've had probably around 11-15 missed days(Called in) in the past six months, which is quite a lot apparently. I've had a verbal warning(Because of no doctors note one time when I needed it) about a month or two ago.

I called in last friday because I came down quickly and hard with a stomach bug(along with my whole family :sick:) that was causing me to vomit profusely(wasn't eating and water/gatorade would literally just come up).

I went to the dr today and he suggested I take today off to eat,rest, and get some liquids(and I'm still feeling a little rough, could probably work though) and got a drs note.

Anyways, I call the office and the management guy who addresses this stuff got all butthurt talking about how I call in so often, why am I sick so often, and telling me I gotta do something to be more healthy. I let him know that I'm not trying to be sick, and I am trying to be healthy(I eat well, sleep better than most college students). He then complained about how I did this on my last belt and now on this belt, as if it was related to the belt.

He sounded pretty annoyed by it; however, that's not what I'm really worried about, my union steward who I've talked to a few times(One time for a injury splitting my thumb open on a stupid roller, another for misloading a bag, and about two months ago for absences) and I asked him "Am I good with absences as long as I provide a doctors note" and he said "yes". Is this True?!

How common is it to get in trouble at a hub(that runs 90k-180k) for absences?

I legitamately call in when I feel I am too sick to work(or that I'll get others sick, as I have alread, twice on my new belt in the past two months). Missed a :censored2: ton of days about a month ago because I came in to work feeling under the weather(and it's super cold) and running myself into the ground; ended up getting a ear infection, sinus infection, an eye infection- and after it all cleared up the ear infection came back with vengeance in both ears. Top top it all off, This was the week before and during finals, and I was taking 14 credits(missed almost two weeks).

I called in two times non legitimately during the end of the summer when I was dating a girl and knew I was about to get laid(and I did :wink2:, alot)

I know that management will always try to harass/guilt trip you to try to get you to come in to do light work(I've fallen for that trick a couple times early in the summer/late spring last year with allergies; ended up doing normal work, not getting out early, and closing).

I really want to work, and almost came in today despite my doctors advice; but I think I need to make sure I'm as healthy as possible before going back so I don't get run down(and get sick again).

I can't afford to lose the job, or I'll be in :censored2: creek with school(Got a concussion last year that basically made me school-retarded and caused me to get bad grades, drop a few classes, etc, for a semester, so I lost a lot of scholarships and financial aid because my completion rate was too low despite doing really well last semester, and I got less aid than last year for something my parents forgot to do for me). I'm currently paying for my semester out of pocket and through my tuition reimbursement(I have a 4,000 dollar hold from my last semester, and this semester I have about 3,000 adding to that. SO I really need to keep this job for tuition reimbursement(the literal only reason the school let me take a class this semester) and the pay.

Could use any advice when it comes to calling in too, whether it be how to approach it, who to talk to, or what to do.
Sounds like your doing some boozing

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Nice! is this your thread? If you're not going to add anything meaningful to the discussion gtfo man, find something better to do with your time.

-I know this isn't a normal amount of absences, but I attend school full time(except this semester)
-just asking for advice/tips when it comes to approaching situations like this in the similar.
- Added the getting laid part just to explain that I only abused the call in twice and within good reason, not trying to get a pat on the back for it on the internet, that's what my friends are for
cliff notes are this. eventually they can and will fire you. if it is not for absences, it will be for something else. good luck

haller

Geezus go become a best seller author. I don't think you should be working here according to your condition.

Last edited:
Show up to work. If they think you're too sick, they'll send you home. If you pass out on the job and get injured, you can collect worker's comp and stay home and study until you're clear.
I've actually done this more than a few times, my old supe would have probably sent me home when I came in sick before I got the infections, but my current one just does not care from what I can see(Co workers were asking if I was alright, one even said I needed to go home, told the supe even. I was about to pass out/fall asleep at the end of the night, I was just sitting on the load stand for the last 30 minutes not helping close besides my own trailer)

I'd probably be more inclined to do that kind of thing If I didn't have to go to school the next day

Sounds like your doing some boozing

I wish lol. I'm 19, I "drink" at most maybe, 1-3 times a month, at parties. Not counting a few beers with my buddies here and there on the weekend(but not getting drunk either)

If I was over 21 they'd probably assume that was what I was doing. The only other people I see missing a :censored2: ton more days than me are the guys who have been working 15+ years and run jackpot on heavier belts... ironically most of those guys are alcoholics/come in drunk, and get/take no :censored2: from management.

now that I think about it, there are quite a few people that miss more days than me for the most bull:censored2: reasons, i.e other jobs, Bible Study(lol), etc.
They're all black though......

Last edited:

Brisket

Shockingly you must know out of the thousands of employees working for the company, there are most likely lots of people that attend school full time, AND do their very best to honor their commitment and show up to work, and if they need time off to know when to let them know!

And as for the big family, there are lots of people that have big families, that has nothing to do with this. They will understand if you are working and are using the tuition reimbursement to help you pay for it.

Don't lose sight of the big picture, you are going to school to make a better life for yourself.

km3

I've actually done this more than a few times, my old supe would have probably sent me home when I came in sick before I got the infections, but my current one just does not care from what I can see(Co workers were asking if I was alright, one even said I needed to go home, told the supe even. I was about to pass out/fall asleep at the end of the night, I was just sitting on the load stand for the last 30 minutes not helping close besides my own trailer)

I'd probably be more inclined to do that kind of thing If I didn't have to go to school the next day

I understand the school part. Best course of action is to do all of your homework and studying right away, so you can do nothing in the way of schoolwork for a few days if you have to.

Needless to say, if your supervisors come in asking why you're only loading 170 an hour instead of 290, tell them you're sick. If they ask why you came in, tell them because they kept harassing you about attendance. If they threaten any kind of discipline (watch for the word "sabotage"), demand a steward. Don't ask, demand. "This conversation is over until my steward is here."