How many here are ready to strike UPS? I think if this contract is that bad we should Strike UPS.

Wut?
It's right there in black and white, just read it.... how is that speculating?

It can be considered speculation at this point, although I am extremely concerned with what I feel are the scariest words in this contract. The reason it is speculative is because at the 2-man committee meeting they should be privileged to the "margin notes" along with the contract. If you're not familiar with them, there are a few other names for these, but the idea behind them is that they describe the "intent" of the article and include the context of the agreement.....in theory.

My speculation is such that this phrase needs to just be deleted completely for me to sleep at night.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
It can be considered speculation at this point, although I am extremely concerned with what I feel are the scariest words in this contract. The reason it is speculative is because at the 2-man committee meeting they should be privileged to the "margin notes" along with the contract. If you're not familiar with them, there are a few other names for these, but the idea behind them is that they describe the "intent" of the article and include the context of the agreement.....in theory.
My speculation is such that this phrase needs to just be deleted completely for me to sleep at night.

What do you think this will accomplish knowing the "margin notes?" Do you honestly think UPS signed those? We are being sold a bill of goods with no substance with this...."we took detailed notes, therefore the weak ass language in the contract means this," crap!!! If it isn't in the contract spelled out to the letter do you think any judge in the US will "interpret" in favor of the union?
These are highly paid, educated men who can not write a clear, unambiguous contract? PLEASE! My youngest with only 2 years of college under his belt laughed when I showed him the contract language!

How do you think the arguments are going to go? "Well we should win because it says right here in my margin notes that the intent was for ____." UPS will counter with, "those are your notes and that is what YOU were thinking at the time but that was not OUR position therefore we'll abide but what the contract exactly says!"

What do you think this will accomplish knowing the "margin notes?" Do you honestly think UPS signed those? We are being sold a bill of goods with no substance with this...."we took detailed notes, therefore the weak ass language in the contract means this," crap!!! If it isn't in the contract spelled out to the letter do you think any judge in the US will "interpret" in favor of the union?
These are highly paid, educated men who can not write a clear, unambiguous contract? PLEASE! My youngest with only 2 years of college under his belt laughed when I showed him the contract language!

How do you think the arguments are going to go? "Well we should win because it says right here in my margin notes that the intent was for ____." UPS will counter with, "those are your notes and that is what YOU were thinking at the time but that was not OUR position therefore we'll abide but what the contract exactly says!"

All very good points, that's why my statement ended with, ".....in theory.

My speculation is such that this phrase needs to just be deleted completely for me to sleep at night."

My explanation was to elaborate on BUG's statement regarding all of the speculation going on before the supplements and riders are released, and why it could be considered speculation. But thanks for condescendingly explaining the legalities of margin notes to me...

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I’ve paid in to a strike fund since 97 when it was created, I wonder if I can just have that money back? :happy-very:
FEDACFA0-42C1-45AB-BD25-71B3C17B2282.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The reason it was important that the 22.4 language was "the union's idea" is because when deciding contract disputes, Judges will interpret weak language in favor of the party that did not write it. If the company wrote the 22.4 language, there would be some hope of remedy in case of abuse. Since it was "the union's idea", we are all screwed. This whole thing stinks.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Hadn't thought about that 2033......That's some serious chit to think about!

Exactly who does Dennis Taylor work for?

Hroller

I am out in less than 3 years, so this is my last contract. I will vote no. Even though it has no affect on me, I am looking out for the future of my brothers and sisters in brown.

Tony Q

I am out in less than 3 years, so this is my last contract. I will vote no. Even though it has no affect on me, I am looking out for the future of my brothers and sisters in brown.
Thats cool, hopefully if they/we get the opportunity to move things around to make it better for the overall consensus of the membership, and they end up taking some of your pension bump, you will still want to consider the future at your expense.

Time for change

Can someone explain the pension fiasco so everyone understands? Why western states gets way more, why central states is a joke? Why we don’t have personalized retirement savings instead of this horsecrap pension that could disappear in the blink of an eye.

Can someone explain the pension fiasco so everyone understands? Why western states gets way more, why central states is a joke? Why we don’t have personalized retirement savings instead of this horsecrap pension that could disappear in the blink of an eye.

CS was primarily funded by members in the transportation industry, deregulation came along in the 80's, some organized companies merged and others folded and closed doors. Fewer employees making contributions to cover the vast number of retirees collecting caused a significant imbalance. It became insolvent and needed a bailout, benefits haven't increased.

Western is extremely diversified, remaining completely funded and solvent.

I don't know about other regions and cannot speak to their contributions or sustainability.

Maybe someone else can elaborate on those, hope this helps.