How much notice are YOU giving when you retire?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
gave the center manager 2 weeks notice but did not tell another soul. last day was on my way to parking lot and did tell another driver "so long , my last day."

was told had everyone wondering what happened for months.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
gave the center manager 2 weeks notice but did not tell another soul. last day was on my way to parking and did tell another driver "so long , my last day."

4CDF932C-CA94-4E76-B601-032F6A39BE2B.gif

LarryBird

gave the center manager 2 weeks notice but did not tell another soul. last day was on my way to parking lot and did tell another driver "so long , my last day."

I knew I'd find you in here discussing your favorite topic.

LarryBird

Ideally..... take all of my weeks of vacation in a row and call them in the middle and tell them I won’t be back

It doesn't work that way, at least here it doesn't.
We have a guy who left about 2 weeks ago who did this. He let them know his plan in advance though. Took his six weeks vacation and a combo week, all in a row, and will not be returning officially. He is coming back in for a little congrats in the morning after his time off is up, but he's not working that day, or obviously ever again for that matter.

We have a guy who left about 2 weeks ago who did this. He let them know his plan in advance though. Took his six weeks vacation and a combo week, all in a row, and will not be returning officially. He is coming back in for a little congrats in the morning after his time off is up, but he's not working that day, or obviously ever again for that matter.
Key word is that management.knew about it

LarryBird

as usual you are not adding to conversation.......kidding
You stayed around in this thread, waiting about 15 responses too long to make this post.

Should have been planning ahead and had a side post you loved ready to roll, then you could've made it while there was still plenty of thread left to enjoy.

Some people just don't prepare to participate on BrownCafe, and they spend too much time worrying about keeping up with what others post. Instead of just posting a few simple words here and there, they've gotta have the longest and the best posts.

That's why those members will still be typing away long after I'm signed out and going about my business elsewhere.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No desire to come back for a fake congrats

All that matters is that ups hr knows about it. Get it all sent in and be ready to go Ups doesn’t communicate. You’ll get your paperwork approved and just stop coming in. When they frantically call you, wait a day or 3, call em back and tell em , oh yeah, I retired. I know more than one person that did this.
Mind your own Damm business

LarryBird

No desire to come back for a fake congrats
I'd bet he's more interested in coming back to say some final words/goodbyes to people who he's worked with, but the ORS literally cried when he was announcing it was the guys last day, and gave him an incredibly heartfelt little send off/speech about what he's meant to his customers and our building over the course of his career. So even though this place makes us jaded, it's not always necessarily fake congrats. He's been there 40 years, and is the highest seniority guy in our building by several years, so there's not a person working there who hasn't known him for their entire career at UPS.

I'm sure they're going to buy him a few nice gifts and put out a pretty nice buffet and whatnot, which is what usually happens at our building when a respected employee retires. They get golf clubs and :censored2: like that, usually walking out that day with a whole bunch of stuff.

Our management team is pretty decent. They can be dicks, but they're actually alright guys, when it really comes down to it.

We're not a huge building - just two centers, and probably around 130 guys total, including all the cover drivers, and our managers have all been in place for a long time. So we've got pretty personal relationships with them, and they treat us like more than just a name on a piece of paper, for the most part.

clean hairy

I think i have read on here where a person retires, management forgot they retired and are calling wondering why they are not at work?
Or a retired person calls in the day after retiring, saying they do not feel like working this week and management freaking out?

LarryBird

There. Fixed for you Mr. Knowitall.

By the way do you really think minimum wage clerks at Dollar General are gonna welcome FedEx packages with open arms when they're already overworked and underpaid as it is?
Would you really think they'll be given any choice?

Accept the packages, and the extra work, or be told to take a walk. That's the reality of it for the store clerk.

Not that I care, because I work for neither Fedex or DG, but that's how this will go down.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Would you really think they'll be given any choice?

Accept the packages, and the extra work, or be told to take a walk. That's the reality of it for the store clerk.

Not that I care, because I work for neither Fedex or DG, but that's how this will go down.
I'm sure DG's employee retention isn't real impressive as it is. It'll more than likely get worse.

Not my problem though. Just pointing out the obvious.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We are so short drivers they are asking guys who put in for retirement to say through peak.
Last peak they called some newly retired feeder drivers and asked if they would cover a peak run. Nobody took them up on it as far as I know.