How much notice are YOU giving when you retire?

PT Crazy

You just have to let Atlanta know in advance. Get the paperwork rolling. Management would be left to wonder. 38 years and they still cannot find my telephone number. Same number I have had since I started.

twoweeled

Like retire while out on your route? " Driving back, I am done." ". Ooopsie, won't be coming to work anymore." Two weeks notice? 2020 is just around the corner.
Everybody talks that game. "I'm gonna drive my package car out, and call them and tell them where they can pick it up"!! See how many people have actually done it. Just like the drivers. Lotta talk, but not a lot of action. I can't think of one person who actually did it. I'm sure someone somewhere had the nads to do it, but sadly, I never met him/her.

twoweeled

It's not that easy

Go out with class
"Go out with class"? Been getting corn holed for 30 plus years, lied too, BS every week, the company riding that fine line with the hours, twisting contractual language like it was freakin Taffy, and you say; "go out with class"? Well Senor Gumby, with all due respect, You and I differ on this one.
I advise him to do what'll make him feel good, because it'll be his last hoorah. And I don't want him to regret years into his retirement years not doing what he wanted to do, but just didn't have the nads. I think the majority of us have being drivers - There has not been a hell of a lot of exchanging of "class" actions between management and hourly.

"Go out with class"? Been getting corn holed for 30 plus years, lied too, BS every week, the company riding that fine line with the hours, twisting contractual language like it was freakin Taffy, and you say; "go out with class"? Well Senor Gumby, with all due respect, You and I differ on this one.
I advise him to do what'll make him feel good, because it'll be his last hoorah. And I don't want him to regret years into his retirement years not doing what he wanted to do, but just didn't have the nads. I think the majority of us have being drivers - There has not been a hell of a lot of exchanging of "class" actions between management and hourly.
You don't have to tell me anything about the devil's we work for. When my last day comes I'll do my route, punch out and never look back.

twoweeled

you have to notify somebody to get your pension though
Yep! He does. He can go through HR, which will eventually/quickly notify the center/hub. But for example. If he takes out the load and gets to his first stop but just feels so bad and turns around and brings the load back to the Hub and says I'm going home sick, and retires. He'll have to wait for the paycheck for months. But so what? It's back payed. He probably should just avoid any of that dishonesty crap under that huge umbrella UPS has.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
yes , go out with class. show the company how they should behave.

I gave 2 weeks to the center manager and did not tell another soul. months later people were wondering what happened.

twoweeled

You don't have to tell me anything about the devil's we work for. When my last day comes I'll do my route, punch out and never look back.
Of course. That's you. My dispute was with the "go out with class" line. I don't see making it easy for them, when most times they couldn't care less about you, as "going out with class". That's the part I disagree with.

twoweeled

yes , go out with class. show the company how they should behave.

I gave 2 weeks to the center manager and did not tell another soul. months later people were wondering what happened.
Oh yeah, that'll show them. All those people who have retired "with class" has sure resulted in a caring and concerned management crew they have today. Speak to someone who's still working and ask them how much better they are being treated today, because you gave management a good example.

giphy.gif

twoweeled

UPS mgt. will find out when I don't come to work. I will show them the same respect they have shown me.
When you don't show up, they'll eventually figure it out. Just like they bring everybody in on the holiday and make sure they are okay, then give out R-days when they've figured out how many people they really need.

"They'll figure it out".

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Oh yeah, that'll show them. All those people who have retired "with class" has sure resulted in a caring and concerned management crew they have today. Speak to someone who's still working and ask them how much better they are being treated today, because you gave management a good example.

giphy.gif

It's not about trying to get management to change. It's about showing that you are better than that.
Twenty years down the line as you look back on your life, are you still going to feel all proud about how you stuck it to the man by not showing up for your final work day?

Most of these guys here have a career worth being really proud of. No need to ruin that by being petty.

twoweeled

It's not about trying to get management to change. It's about showing that you are better than that.
Twenty years down the line as you look back on your life, are you still going to feel all proud about how you stuck it to the man by not showing up for your final work day?

Most of these guys here have a career worth being really proud of. No need to ruin that by being petty.
Oh boy. Management wishes they had 300,000 of you huh.
I have no doubt, I'll still be happy with the way I left. 20-30 years later,
No doubt!
Ruin a career by throwing it back at them? LOL Are you management, or under 10 years driving? My party is good!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If I’m still thinking about ups 20 years into retirement. They won.