How much notice are YOU giving when you retire?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Oh yeah, that'll show them. All those people who have retired "with class" has sure resulted in a caring and concerned management crew they have today. Speak to someone who's still working and ask them how much better they are being treated today, because you gave management a good example.

giphy.gif
I wasn't about to lower myself to their level.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Oh boy. Management wishes they had 300,000 of you huh.
I have no doubt, I'll still be happy with the way I left. 20-30 years later,
No doubt!
Ruin a career by throwing it back at them? LOL Are you management, or under 10 years driving? My party is good!!

Not management. I'm a second gen UPSer. My family has 40+ years of union service with the company. This is only my 4th peak at the company, so I'll admit I'm new.

If you go through life hating UPS that passionately, there is a problem, and it isn't management. Leave it all at the door when you punch out.

twoweeled

Not management. I'm a second gen UPSer. My family has 40+ years of union service with the company. This is only my 4th peak at the company, so I'll admit I'm new.

If you go through life hating UPS that passionately, there is a problem, and it isn't management. Leave it all at the door when you punch out.
I'll thank you for your honesty. Thank You. I hope you and I can revisit this conversation in 15 years. I'll be curious to know if you feel the same with 20 years under you. 15 years will be easy for you. More iffy for me. LOL!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'll thank you for your honesty. Thank You. I hope you and I can revisit this conversation in 15 years. I'll be curious to know if you feel the same with 20 years under you. 15 years will be easy for you. More iffy for me. LOL!

Here's hoping Browncafe sticks around that long. I'll be here. :)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you have hate and bitterness toward the company it only hurts YOU. they won if you feel that way. they don't care one way or the other.
It took me a long time to learn this and when I finally did I became happy and actually enjoyed the second half of my career with UPS. I love retirement and getting that pension check.
good luck

bumped

Everybody talks that game. "I'm gonna drive my package car out, and call them and tell them where they can pick it up"!! See how many people have actually done it. Just like the drivers. Lotta talk, but not a lot of action. I can't think of one person who actually did it. I'm sure someone somewhere had the nads to do it, but sadly, I never met him/her.

We had a driver in my center contacted the union and had his ducks in a row there. He had a satellite route and on a Friday sent a message in right before he punched out saying that today was his last, he quit, and his DIAD and uniforms were in the TP60.

twoweeled

We had a driver in my center contacted the union and had his ducks in a row there. He had a satellite route and on a Friday sent a message in right before he punched out saying that today was his last, he quit, and his DIAD and uniforms were in the TP60.
He finished the route first? Not a lot of points for that move, if he did the route then notified them. I must sound like Yosemite Sam wanting to shoot up the town! LOL

twoweeled

If you have hate and bitterness toward the company it only hurts YOU. they won if you feel that way. they don't care one way or the other.
It took me a long time to learn this and when I finally did I became happy and actually enjoyed the second half of my career with UPS. I love retirement and getting that pension check.
good luck
Far from hate or bitterness. It's just memory. I love the pension check too! What's not to love? I'm glad I had the job. But let's be honest with what took place. Doesn't do anyone any good to live in denial. The early years we worked together with management. Not the later years. Day and night. No, it's nowhere near hate. Just memory. I'm guessing you haven't taken a lot of cakes to your local IRS building. Or maybe a cake for the police officer who just wrote you a ticket? Putting our heads in the sand and saying; I bet that police officer is actually a very nice person, isn't going to be going through my head, that's for sure! I won't hate that police officer, but I hope I'm not the only guy around if he needs a ride.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Driver at my building left his package car around back by the shop in the morning on his last day and snuck out the back gate without telling any one. I'm sure he thought he really stuck it to the company but all he did was screw the other drivers in his loop who had to deliver everything after they finished their routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
I gave them a 27 day notice because I told them I was leaving the day after I got it in WRITING from the Union that I was fully vested for 30 years. I wanted it in writing and it took the Union 27 EXTRA days to get me that letter. At the time I trusted NO ONE because I was apparently the first person to retire from UPS and nobody (either side) would give me a straight answer).

twoweeled

Driver at my building left his package car around back by the shop in the morning on his last day and snuck out the back gate without telling any one. I'm sure he thought he really stuck it to the company but all he did was screw the other drivers in his loop who had to deliver everything after they finished their routes.
LOL!! Now that right der, took some nads. I'm guessing he's laughing about that to this day. No, he didn't stick it to the other drivers. That's management brainwashing. He's a driver. He didn't make any decisions. you management team makes the decisions. If they decided to bring it back in (which they do nowadays when it suits them) they'd do that. The no brainer is to send out a sup to do the route. They've done routes before. Management decided the other drivers would add the load on to their own, in hopes that drivers would dislike his act. And Jones, you fell right into it!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
LOL!! Now that right der, took some nads. I'm guessing he's laughing about that to this day. No, he didn't stick it to the other drivers. That's management brainwashing. He's a driver. He didn't make any decisions. you management team makes the decisions. If they decided to bring it back in (which they do nowadays when it suits them) they'd do that. The no brainer is to send out a sup to do the route. They've done routes before. Management decided the other drivers would add the load on to their own, in hopes that drivers would dislike his act. And Jones, you fell right into it!
You're ridiculous dude. The company is still living rent free inside your head.

Shiftless

As I sit here in front of my screen lightly tapping a key board I have to ask this question??

Is it a different generation that feels so bitter or is it a different workplace?

I remember the old guys when I started out telling me my generation was lazy! My thought was when I heard that said is you don't know me? Here we work side by side and you moan and groan like everyone else??
Sure people yelling at you , putting pressure on you to perform and do your job on a daily basis. Sometimes seeming unfair till you can get it corrected (yup you had to stand up for your self even back then) along with paying attention to working safely.

There are so many different personalities we work/worked side by side with and actually work for. I could admire a driver who would say this isn't for me, saying I cant see my self in 20 to 30 years doing this and they moved on! Sure they would make their comments about the work, get frustrated, no different than many drivers. BUT! They did something about it, They Moved On! Didn't whine and cry how tough it was or he or she (manager or sup) is picking on me. They just moved on!

If you cant figure out how to work as directed and enjoy it? Get OUT! Move ON! Do something that trips your trigger! Why be frustrated and disappointed in your life by making the decision to stay!

Its all about choices! Gotta Love America and free choice!

twoweeled

You're ridiculous dude. The company is still living rent free inside your head.
Wise up driver. You don't wanna be the management puppet. They are playing you like a toy, and you just don't get it. Hopefully, one of these days you'll get it.
Living in my head? LOL Okay

twoweeled

As I sit here in front of my screen lightly tapping a key board I have to ask this question??

Is it a different generation that feels so bitter or is it a different workplace?

I remember the old guys when I started out telling me my generation was lazy! My thought was when I heard that said is you don't know me? Here we work side by side and you moan and groan like everyone else??
Sure people yelling at you , putting pressure on you to perform and do your job on a daily basis. Sometimes seeming unfair till you can get it corrected (yup you had to stand up for your self even back then) along with paying attention to working safely.

There are so many different personalities we work/worked side by side with and actually work for. I could admire a driver who would say this isn't for me, saying I cant see my self in 20 to 30 years doing this and they moved on! Sure they would make their comments about the work, get frustrated, no different than many drivers. BUT! They did something about it, They Moved On! Didn't whine and cry how tough it was or he or she (manager or sup) is picking on me. They just moved on!

If you cant figure out how to work as directed and enjoy it? Get OUT! Move ON! Do something that trips your trigger! Why be frustrated and disappointed in your life by making the decision to stay!

Its all about choices! Gotta Love America and free choice!
I remember when I first started. It was different. The old driver had a totally different perspective, generally speaking. It sorta makes sense. When you start, your making more money then you've ever made before. Your young and your full of energy and you feel like your body is never going to break. When your older, the money isn't so new anymore, you've been BS's by management, probably been lied to a few time and you find out your body isn't going to last forever. Possibly, you may find the company is in no hurry to keep you around. In short, you have a lot more experiences with the company than when new. A 30 year old driver is speaking from 30 years of experience, and the 5 year driver is speaking from 5 years. Crying the blues? I have no doubt, you yourself have cried the blues there more than once. But when you were crying the blues, that was probably different. That was understandable. Of course it was. It was your problem now. If you've never cried the blues there at work, then you are probably the first one in UPS history not to. Just move on if your not happy here? Yeah, that's easy to say. You and I both know, that is just so much easier to say than do for virtually anyone. What your also saying in so many words, is just accept it and shut up. Yeeahh, not everyone is as subservient as you. Some people rather question and/or fight for what they feel is right. Frustration is a part of life. Frustration isn't something you get, and throw in the towel. That's crying and giving up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wise up driver. You don't wanna be the management puppet. They are playing you like a toy, and you just don't get it. Hopefully, one of these days you'll get it.
Living in my head? LOL Okay
How long have you been retired and you're still this obsessed with the company? The sad part is that the company has already forgotten all about you, but you just can't let go. I'll retire sometime in the next 1-2 years, and that's the last time I'll waste any energy worrying about UPS.

UPSER1987

How long have you been retired and you're still this obsessed with the company? The sad part is that the company has already forgotten all about you, but you just can't let go. I'll retire sometime in the next 1-2 years, and that's the last time I'll waste any energy worrying about UPS.

Just look at all these retired bozos that come on here talking about when they were a driver...blah blah blah...you’re retired! Why would you ever care to come to a work site to talk about the very thing you hate so much? And you’re right, once you leave, no one gives 2 smile** about you and you aren’t even a memory.

this post will be deleted.